History Of Thai Visa Forum

garro

I am interested in the history of TV.

Who started it?

Who were the early posters?

What was it like?

Garro, I can't believe this, only last night I was about to ask the same question, but the Argentina/Ireland game started and I got distracted. I also am interested in the history of TV, when did it start? how? was it a bunch of expats sitting around over a beer? Who is responsible for developing all the excellent features?

I guess great minds think alike.

So far member number 169 has it! Do tell.

What about member number 13?

I may be wrong but I also recall the original Thai Visa site being around for some time before the creation of the Fora. Lurked for yonks, but only posted once last years visa stuff started to cause problems and I could provide relevant information. For my sins and lack of medication have continued to gibber ever since.

Regards

Nurse the screens....

Who started it?

What was it like?

In the beginning the site was pretty plain and basic, and most of the talk was actually about visas, visa runs, etc.

post-7151-1191246996_thumb.jpg

Looking via wayback, the original use of the ThaiVisa.com was continued as the header through 2002 {including the introduction of the now familiar logo}, through to 2003 when the format moved more closely to the three col style which has morphed over time to the one used today.

Regards

Who started it?

What was it like?

In the beginning the site was pretty plain and basic, and most of the talk was actually about visas, visa runs, etc.

post-7151-1191246996_thumb.jpg

Kinda funny, that poll from your screenshot: "Are Thailand's visa rules too relaxed"? What a difference a few years makes, huh?

^^ And if you use ad-blocker it's not so different today :o

Regards

Yeah but when the site you use daily depends on its ad revenue to exist, it's kinda impolite to advertise the fact don't you think?

No I don't for the following reasons, a} the dating sponsor is considered by some to be offensive, I was PM'd after a thread by some who wanted to find a way to remove it since it caused them problems at home, b} I would not use a number of the sponsors here in the real world, and though I am forbidden to criticise them by the forum rules, I may chose to exclude their advertisements.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

^^ And if you use ad-blocker it's not so different today :o

Regards

Yeah but when the site you use daily depends on its ad revenue to exist, it's kinda impolite to advertise the fact don't you think?

No I don't for the following reasons, a} the dating sponsor is considered by some to be offensive, I was PM'd after a thread by some who wanted to find a way to remove it since it caused them problems at home, b} I would not use a number of the sponsors here in the real world, and though I am forbidden to criticise them by the forum rules, I may chose to exclude their advertisements.

Regards

Well, if you are standing in your friend's music store you may choose to not buy something you don't like, but talking about Limewire to the rest of the customers is just poor manners. Same goes here.

Maybe they're not allowed to talk about it?

Rumour has it the idea came out of a Chang/Wine session featuring George and Dr Pong. It grew quite quickly so I assume there was either a real pent up need for info/dialogue, or George spent some money on advertising. When I first joined up it was Jan 03 and the place was pretty dead. I stuck my head in now and then for a couple months then forgot about it (along with my login) until I was sitting in a Chiang Mai internet cafe a year later looking for visa info. I found TV again via search engine and it already had about 7000 new members since my previous visit. That's unnaturally fast growth for any forum. In this time had also been added the computer, gay, farang pub, womens, and travel forums.

A couple months later came the local forums, along with a place called "The Bearpit". There was another forum called "Hong Klai Kriat" which got merged into farang pub.

In Dec 2004 when the tsunami hit it was the only place to get real time info. Many people came here to track down missing loved ones, and to report their eyewitness accounts. The news networks were getting info out almost a full day after it appeared here. After awhile major online news sites simply linked to TV (causing the site to overload on a regular basis). People organized aid, helped families reconnect, and mourned those that never returned. It was a terrible time in Thailand but the response I saw here made it IMO, Thaivisa's finest hour.

Someone else can tell the story from here......

As was said, way back when most people came here for visa info. Then and now nobody had a clue about how an unmarried under 50 person could get a long term visa. In those days at least you could get a triple entry tourist visa but nobody posted about it

Maybe they're not allowed to talk about it?

Rumour has it the idea came out of a Chang/Wine session featuring George and Dr Pong. It grew quite quickly so I assume there was either a real pent up need for info/dialogue, or George spent some money on advertising. When I first joined up it was Jan 03 and the place was pretty dead. I stuck my head in now and then for a couple months then forgot about it (along with my login) until I was sitting in a Chiang Mai internet cafe a year later looking for visa info. I found TV again via search engine and it already had about 7000 new members since my previous visit. That's unnaturally fast growth for any forum. In this time had also been added the computer, gay, farang pub, womens, and travel forums.

A couple months later came the local forums, along with a place called "The Bearpit". There was another forum called "Hong Klai Kriat" which got merged into farang pub.

In Dec 2004 when the tsunami hit it was the only place to get real time info. Many people came here to track down missing loved ones, and to report their eyewitness accounts. The news networks were getting info out almost a full day after it appeared here. After awhile major online news sites simply linked to TV (causing the site to overload on a regular basis). People organized aid, helped families reconnect, and mourned those that never returned. It was a terrible time in Thailand but the response I saw here made it IMO, Thaivisa's finest hour.

Someone else can tell the story from here......

Almost all details correct! I will write a book about it some day... :o

...I will write a book about it some day... :o

I see from the profile of Rinrada, member #13, who posted in this topic, that he signed up on November 29, 2002. This means that ThaiVisas’s fifth anniversary will come up soon and while you may not write your book by then, hopefully some short story will be available. Would be nice, and appreciated by many members I’m sure.

--

Maestro

I made a few drunken posts a few years back but luckily I can't remember my name or password.

I didn't have regular access to the internet at the time which was probably a blessing.