Bkk To Hat Yai/kl Train Trip Safe?

inu

Hi Experts,

I'm planning to take the train from BKK to KL at the end of the month. What are your thoughts re safety in the Hat Yai area? I've checked the forum which seems to indicate that it has been quiet since the end of 2006. I was thinking of stopping over in HY but seeing as its not far from the troubles was having second thoughts. (I read there was a bomb at the railway station in December 2006).

Also, is it best to change trains for KL in Hat Yai or Butterworth? Any thoughts/advice from those who have made the trip?

Many thanks,

Inu

Also, is it best to change trains for KL in Hat Yai or Butterworth? Any thoughts/advice from those who have made the trip?

I don't think it makes any difference per se. It really depends on where you would like to spend some time stopped-over (Hat Yai vs. Penang) as to whether you pick up the Langkawi Ekspres in Hat Yai or Butterworth.

I don't think it makes any difference per se. It really depends on where you would like to spend some time stopped-over (Hat Yai vs. Penang) as to whether you pick up the Langkawi Ekspres in Hat Yai or Butterworth.

Thanks Ovenman,

It was really related to safety- I'll have family with me. But I guess no one knows what will happen or when.

I never had a problem with trains in the south - exept that one of them de-railed just after Hat Yai to Bangkok.

If you are planning a stopover to it in Penang for a few days - it's a nice place to see, mixture of chinese, indian, malay and european cultures.

Hi Experts,

I'm planning to take the train from BKK to KL at the end of the month. What are your thoughts re safety in the Hat Yai area? I've checked the forum which seems to indicate that it has been quiet since the end of 2006. I was thinking of stopping over in HY but seeing as its not far from the troubles was having second thoughts. (I read there was a bomb at the railway station in December 2006).

Many thanks,

Inu

You shouldn't have any problems. It's the train that branches off and goes to Sungai Golok that has the most problems. As far as changing trains, the Thai train goes all the way to Butterworth (Penang) and you change trains there to the Malaysian train to continue on to KL Since you are going to have to change trains I would suggest doing it in Butterworth and spend a few days in Penang. The several times we have been there we always stayed in the city but they have a number of nice hotels on the beach outside of town.

Haad Yai train station is very secure now with cctv and many security guards/police & no thru access for non ticket holders. As to danger around town it is possible. There have been bombs in shopping areas. I go there often on the train & always stay a few nights.

I prefer to take an overnight train to Haad Yai. then pick up the Langkawi express from there because of the times. 2.50 pm suits me better than 9.00pm at Butterworth.

At Haad Yai station u buy the KL ticket at the booth next to the info counter

Haad Yai train station is very secure now with cctv and many security guards/police & no thru access for non ticket holders. As to danger around town it is possible. There have been bombs in shopping areas. I go there often on the train & always stay a few nights.

I prefer to take an overnight train to Haad Yai. then pick up the Langkawi express from there because of the times. 2.50 pm suits me better than 9.00pm at Butterworth.

At Haad Yai station u buy the KL ticket at the booth next to the info counter

Hi,

There are 2 options.

1. Take the Bankok express train (First Class) to Hatyai.

The 1st class compartment accomodates 2 passengers, full privacy and the waiter would

come and take your dinner/breakfast order. The 1st Class coach have only 15

compartments. Have to book early in advance.

Reach Hatyai, then proceed to take an Air-Con bus to Kuala Lumpur direct.

Location : Tour agencies in front of Oriental Hotel. Other arrangements could be done

there, like vans, taxis, buses and so on. If you like, you can stay a night in Hatyai. The

hotels are quite reasonable. Ranging from 4 stars to no stars. The 4 stars:

Novetel and New Lee Garden Plaza (this one is around Baht1150, more or less,

breakfast for two. Of course, there many much cheaper ones. Try New Sakura.

Old Sakura is old and much cheaper. Or try the newest hotel near New Sakura.

Sorry, I don't have the name.

2. Take the Internationl Bangkok - Butterworth Express.

No First Class. Only Second Class.

This special coach will be detached at Padang Besar border crossing and the

coach would be attached to Malaysian Railways...... and will take you direct

to Butterworth, opposite to the island of Penang.

Have a pleasant trip.

Regards,

kismet,

Malaysia.

Hi,

There are 2 options.

1. Take the Bankok express train (First Class) to Hatyai.

The 1st class compartment accomodates 2 passengers, full privacy and the waiter would

come and take your dinner/breakfast order. The 1st Class coach have only 15

compartments. Have to book early in advance.

Reach Hatyai, then proceed to take an Air-Con bus to Kuala Lumpur direct.

Location : Tour agencies in front of Oriental Hotel. Other arrangements could be done

there, like vans, taxis, buses and so on. If you like, you can stay a night in Hatyai. The

hotels are quite reasonable. Ranging from 4 stars to no stars. The 4 stars:

Novetel and New Lee Garden Plaza (this one is around Baht1150, more or less,

breakfast for two. Of course, there many much cheaper ones. Try New Sakura.

Old Sakura is old and much cheaper. Or try the newest hotel near New Sakura.

Sorry, I don't have the name.

2. Take the Internationl Bangkok - Butterworth Express.

No First Class. Only Second Class.

This special coach will be detached at Padang Besar border crossing and the

coach would be attached to Malaysian Railways...... and will take you direct

to Butterworth, opposite to the island of Penang.

Have a pleasant trip.

Regards,

kismet,

Malaysia.

Thanks for your help (everyone) will probably go straight to BW and stop over there.

Inu