Internet Options

drummer

One: Wifi cards available at Starbucks, airport kiosks, etc, hot-spots come and go, I'll give you some specific locs when I have more time.

Two: Decent bandwidth available at better hotels, serviced apartments,... expect 56k agony at most Cyb cafes, though more and more are upgrading.

Three: If you want to pay for it you can get as fast as you want, not cheap, up to > T1, residence, ... most areas in BKK, good luck mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

OK... Thanks. I'm looking for a decent connection from my BKK apartment when I get there next month. I won't be downloading any moivies or anything- mostly just for internet communication and sending the occasional file.

Here in PDX the entire downtown + has wi fi networks set up already, so I was wondering if BKK had area that were wireless, too. I'll probably just get a DSL connection, but if that is too expecsive I might just end up with dial-up.

I'll probably just get a DSL connection, but if that is too expecsive I might just end up with dial-up.

Assuming you get your own phone line, and aren't on an exchange within the apartment, ADSL in BKK is suddenly a LOT cheaper than it used to be. True's current prices

Just don't expect the speed to international sites to be the same as your connection speed (except in the middle of the night).

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone purchased a KSC WiFi HotSpot pre-paid card? Are the prices the same as on-line (1,500 THB for 20 hours)? Where did you purchase the card? (I have reviewed the KSC website. They list quite a few places to buy but I am not sure if all outlets sell WiFi, or just KSC's other internet access products.)

Just to answer my own question...

I bought a KSC WiFi HotSpot pre-paid card, 20 hours for 1,359 THB, from a shop in the Fortune IT Mall. It works quite well, I've used it at a number of Starbucks, and also at EGV Grand Metropolis. If you are a dTAC post-paid customer you can get a free account, they send you an SMS with your password, your user name is your dTAC nine digit phone number.

Lastly, I noticed a free WiFi hotspot outside/near the Apple store in Siam Discovery (fourth floor) adjacent to the Starbucks. There were three people hanging about using that network.