The Pound Sterling Goes Up Like A Rocket! :)

Been following the pound sterling and I've noticed that last year at about this time it went up, now it's repeating itself again!

Nice one :o

Are you sure this rise isn't just relative to the USD slide? The pound sterling is down significantly on the Canadian, Australian, and Kiwi dollars, and the Euro. In fact, I've never seen the pound this low on the Canadian dollar before.

Edited by cdnvic

Following might be of interest, to put in a little perspective. I don't regularly follow CAD, AUD or Kiwi, but have been tracking GBP vs a couple of Asian currencies that interest me + EUR since around 2000.

All are rebased to 100 at Dec 99, when GBP/THB was around 60.6. Might be a couple of minor inaccuracies. I follow most days, but only keep a record of month-ends and they could be a day or so either way. If wanting hard analysis you should use a proper charting tool, but it shows the overall context. One word of caution I was using offsore rates until about April for GBP/THB, before eventually deciding to switch to onshore rates because of the wide diffs.

BTW I lost interest in USD itself around 2001, and have little interest in USD assets! Plus with no desire to go to the US, and no need for the currency, I haven't wanted much in it for last few years. I also think their little Empire is past it's peak, and while it's still the most important single economy at the moment, it'll never be as important again, and only a matter of time....

For that matter don't think we'll be seeing much of Britannia Ruling the world again either. Though I think UK is fairing better, and more used to the idea it'll never be as important again than the US is :o

Edited by fletchthai68

Following might be of interest, to put in a little perspective. I don't regularly follow CAD, AUD or Kiwi, but have been tracking GBP vs a couple of Asian currencies that interest me + EUR since around 2000.

All are rebased to 100 at Dec 99, when GBP/THB was around 60.6. Might be a couple of minor inaccuracies. I follow most days, but only keep a record of month-ends and they could be a day or so either way. If wanting hard analysis you should use a proper charting tool, but it shows the overall context. One word of caution I was using offsore rates until about April for GBP/THB, before eventually deciding to switch to onshore rates because of the wide diffs.

BTW I lost interest in USD itself around 2001, and have little interest in USD assets! Plus with no desire to go to the US, and no need for the currency, I haven't wanted much in it for last few years. I also think their little Empire is past it's peak, and while it's still the most important single economy at the moment, it'll never be as important again, and only a matter of time....

For that matter don't think we'll be seeing much of Britannia Ruling the world again either. Though I think UK is fairing better, and more used to the idea it'll never be as important again than the US is :o

Perhaps you could try to explain what you mean by your last statement and one suspects you may need a large shovel to do so? Is that "not as important as the US again" as in currency, political terms, to you personally or something else I might have missed? If you mean in currency terms I'm certain most sensible people would rather have a fistful of GBP earning 6.7% than a barrow load of USD right now.

Edited by chiang mai

Perhaps you could try to explain what you mean by your last statement and one suspects you may need a large shovel to do so? Is that "not as important as the US again" as in currency, political terms, to you personally or something else I might have missed? If you mean in currency terms I'm certain most sensible people would rather have a fistful of GBP earning 6.7% than a barrow load of USD right now.

Was tempted to leave you thinking it over. Yes it was a bit vague and not really well worded...

To be honest: all of the above. Interest rates and currencies are more a storm in a tea cup when you look at the bigger picture.

Key point: in the same way the UK is well passed it's peak in terms of impact on the world on a variety of levels, the US is following in its footsteps. Economically, culturally, morally, would be a few more declining US impacts to add. (Though I think most Brits have generally maintained a sense of morality, justice and fairness). People from the UK are used to the idea that the UK is well past it's peak, and have generally come to terms with it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure most Americans have woken up and smelt the coffee yet... :D

BTW Just seen your post on pies. Now that's something the British can still be proud of. Another being real ale. Both will stand the test of time. Can't really think of anything American off hand that will endure. Let me know when you open the Bangkok branch or can deliver.

Was tempted to leave you thinking it over. Yes it was a bit vague and not really well worded...

To be honest: all of the above. Interest rates and currencies are more a storm in a tea cup when you look at the bigger picture.

Key point: in the same way the UK is well passed it's peak in terms of impact on the world on a variety of levels, the US is following in its footsteps. Economically, culturally, morally, would be a few more declining US impacts to add. (Though I think most Brits have generally maintained a sense of morality, justice and fairness). People from the UK are used to the idea that the UK is well past it's peak, and have generally come to terms with it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure most Americans have woken up and smelt the coffee yet... :D

I think most Brits came to terms with the End of The Empire and the UK's dominant role in world governance and territorial ownership back in the 60's and 70's and accepted that the position of world leadership passes from one country to another over time. The UK had its spell as did Spain in its past history and then the responsibility passed to the US. I think you'll find that most Brits are quite happy with passing that baton. As far as the sell date on US domination is concerned: I tend to think most people accept there is now a flattening out of that peak of dominance and it is now shared by several countries, including China and to some degree, India because of its economic potential. Sadly, most American don't accept or see that hence life is going to be tough for a while until it finally sinks in that the US is not what it once was.

BTW Just seen your post on pies. Now that's something the British can still be proud of. Another being real ale. Both will stand the test of time. Can't really think of anything American off hand that will endure. Let me know when you open the Bangkok branch or can deliver.

There's little chance of a Bangkok branch I'm afraid since we want to grow the business by word of mouth and develop a local base, sorry. But it's all looking very very good thus far with now eighteen regular customers and the feedback is all very very positive and everyone who tries them is hooked. I'd offer to ship some to Bangkok so you can try them but will need time to work out the logistics etc of that. Rest assured however that when you next visit Phuket we'll have some ready and waiting.

I think most Brits came to terms with the End of The Empire and the UK's dominant role in world governance and territorial ownership back in the 60's and 70's and accepted that the position of world leadership passes from one country to another over time. The UK had its spell as did Spain in its past history and then the responsibility passed to the US. I think you'll find that most Brits are quite happy with passing that baton. As far as the sell date on US domination is concerned: I tend to think most people accept there is now a flattening out of that peak of dominance and it is now shared by several countries, including China and to some degree, India because of its economic potential. Sadly, most American don't accept or see that hence life is going to be tough for a while until it finally sinks in that the US is not what it once was.

That's largely my point but badly worded by me first time round. Does that mean we won't be needing the shovel just yet?

Back on the subject of pies and real ale. That's what globalisation should be all about (if anything). Taking the best from each country, not the lowest common denominator. Can't say I feel the same way about McDonalds and Budweiser. Good luck with the business - Great idea.

GBP vs THB. Don't see a big story there. Main story if any is decline of the US(D)

Edited by fletchthai68

It will be an interesting next 20 years for sure as the political realities in the US focus more on a domestic agenda and decide that the bill for policing the world is too high. What type of world will the Chinese, Russian, and Indian nuclear powers be expected to forge? Will they allow the former US/UK empires to peacefully exist while the new powers keep watch on stability/allocation of resources and commerce? Many questions. I just hope the answers don't come from the Trident submarine fleet when SHTF.

It will be an interesting next 20 years for sure as the political realities in the US focus more on a domestic agenda and decide that the bill for policing the world is too high. What type of world will the Chinese, Russian, and Indian nuclear powers be expected to forge? Will they allow the former US/UK empires to peacefully exist while the new powers keep watch on stability/allocation of resources and commerce? Many questions. I just hope the answers don't come from the Trident submarine fleet when SHTF.

I have every confidence in the UK's 15 ship navy plus their five Trident subs to resolve any problems the combined forces of China Russia and India may direct our way. BTW, I also believe in UFO's and flying pigs.

What did you just say ?

I have every confidence in the UK's 15 ship navy plus their five Trident subs to resolve any problems the combined forces of China Russia and India may direct our way. BTW, I also believe in UFO's and flying pigs.

That's why a pitiful 15 ship Navy is dangerous. Limited options. If it meant losing your country and your way of life, would those 5 UK Vanguard subs be used to depopulate half of China? Would it be an option, or just bend over and take whatever the new master has for you?

What did you just say ?

While the entire world watches in hopeful anticipation of the fall of the US "empire", the question is what will replace it? So, I said "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

What did you just say ?

While the entire world watches in hopeful anticipation of the fall of the US "empire", the question is what will replace it? So, I said "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

more <deleted>?

dont get me wrong the us has done the world alot of favours, but all things pass n all that...

imho the us hasn't got what it takes anymore, they just seem to <deleted> up more and more...

Edited by longway

To say the US is down would be entirely accurate. To count them out would be foolish.

i dont think the usa is on its way out stage right, but more like it has to learn to share the centre stage. not that that show will get better but will certainly be interesting.

Edited by longway

To say the US is down would be entirely accurate. To count them out would be foolish.

i dont think the usa is on its way out stage right, but more like it has to learn to share the centre stage. not that that show will get better but will certainly be interesting.

Absolutely correct

OT. Yeah you're right in what you say about the UK being no longer a world leader. When I was a kid I totally thought the British Empire still held sway (which in a small way it does). As I got older and travelled more I became wiser and saw that, in fact we are way out of our league these days. In fact even Thailand is starting to get up to scratch over the UK in many respects.

The meddling British politicians seem to think that we are still numero-uno and get us stuck in the quagmire of the Middle-East.

Was a whole lot simpler in the early to late 1990s before The Towers came crashing down.

I share the belief that whether we like it or not the Chinese are going to be the new daddies. The US is going to have to realise that when the next leadership comes in at the whitehouse.

Back on topic - Ok I was a bit artistic on the rocket bit, but it's got a good topic going :o

It's good to see someone with some degree of common sense here amongst the bitter brits :D I have come to realize, and get use to the fact that U.S. bashing is a sport on thai visa, and oddly enough it is usually the brits that have the biggest chip on their shoulder (could it be the guilt that most brits have that they could never repay the Americans for saving their butts in WW2?). Anyway, the S&P and other averages in the states hit record levels once again today (the NASDAQ a post .com high) and with inflation virtually non existent and unemployment rising to just 4.7% today, things are pretty comfortable here in the good ole U.S.A.. I do understand that the weak dollar is causing rising unemployment in the E.U., especially in Germany, France and the U.K. and perhaps this is the reason for the bitterness amongst some of the posters here, if that is the case then I would like to extend my sympathies to those Europeans that have been laid off due to the weak U.S. dollar. U.S. exporters are currently in a boom market (thanks to that darn weak dollar :o ) and so it appears is Wall Street, by the way I know it isn't polite to actually state the obvious here on Thai Visa, but the U.S. is still the worlds largest economy by a factor of nearly 3 times over second place Japan! So to those brits out there who need to vent, please feel free to rage on about how the U.S. is falling apart at the seams, the fact that most of you guys are living in the LOS instead of the U.K. speaks volumes about what the real situation is :D. Everyone have a great weekend!

I don't care about any of this. I just want more baht for my USD!

Wasabi, You should see a gradual strengthening of the greenback throughout 2008 (especially in the second half), and if the Dems get the White House and remain in control of Congress then a tougher trade policy and a strong Dollar policy will be the order of the day. Personally I believe in free trade and would like to see the Republicans keep the Whie House, but I can read the writing on the wall, so your wish for a stronger dollar is probably not too far off!

It's good to see someone with some degree of common sense here amongst the bitter brits :D I have come to realize, and get use to the fact that U.S. bashing is a sport on thai visa, and oddly enough it is usually the brits that have the biggest chip on their shoulder (could it be the guilt that most brits have that they could never repay the Americans for saving their butts in WW2?). Anyway, the S&P and other averages in the states hit record levels once again today (the NASDAQ a post .com high) and with inflation virtually non existent and unemployment rising to just 4.7% today, things are pretty comfortable here in the good ole U.S.A.. I do understand that the weak dollar is causing rising unemployment in the E.U., especially in Germany, France and the U.K. and perhaps this is the reason for the bitterness amongst some of the posters here, if that is the case then I would like to extend my sympathies to those Europeans that have been laid off due to the weak U.S. dollar. U.S. exporters are currently in a boom market (thanks to that darn weak dollar :o ) and so it appears is Wall Street, by the way I know it isn't polite to actually state the obvious here on Thai Visa, but the U.S. is still the worlds largest economy by a factor of nearly 3 times over second place Japan! So to those brits out there who need to vent, please feel free to rage on about how the U.S. is falling apart at the seams, the fact that most of you guys are living in the LOS instead of the U.K. speaks volumes about what the real situation is :D . Everyone have a great weekend!

I don't think anyone is counting the US out ..... yet :D . The continuing trend over the next few decades though will be decreasing US influence on the world, which I personally believe is a good thing. As a country the US has done well (in some ways) to become as important as it has. But I think it has past its peak and is unlikely to ever be as important again. It has also started to abuse its power more and more in the last few years, which is one of the key reasons it is continuing to lose respect in the world.

Many Brits grew up being supportive of the US, and the UK has been a strong supporter of the US for many years. The Americans seemed to champion many of the values also important to the British. It is only in recent years, the British have begun to distance themselves from the US. I would add that this distancing has been slower than many other Europeans. When one by one your real friends leave you, you need to learn to point your fingers inward. When the Brits start to distance themselves from the US, the Americans should be asking themselves why.

But if you can't hear it from the Brits, perhaps the following quotes from 1963 may help:

"In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds…...We cannot walk alone"

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today."

It is not due to chips on our shoulders, but due to the actions of the US itself, why your nation is often being left to walk alone. If you don't see that, then sorry to say but you are like many of your fellow Americans who haven't woken up to the fact the American dream is fading. The world is not judging you by the colour of your skin or your nationality, but the content of your character.

Don't take it personally, but I thought an explanation may help as to why your nation often comes in for a "bashing". I know a lot of individual Americans, I will stand by as friends. I'm just not sure I would like to stand by your nation any more.

Enjoy your weekend too :D

The next bit you can take personally:

As for your WW2 comments - they are childish, and insulting to the many who fought and died side by side. They are also a good example of why Americans sometimes make themselves unpopular. I've only ever heard Americans who will claim that without them WW2 would not have been won, and that they were "responsible for winning the war" and "saving other people's butts". The fact is: none of the Allied countries could have won victory alone, without the support of the others. Do you honestly believe the US would have defeated Germany, Italy and Japan, without the support of the Russians, Brits, Australians, Kiwis, and many European and other countries that gave their lives. Other countries humbly acknowledge each others contibutions.

Edited by fletchthai68

BTW Let's not forget that the US entered WW2 when it thought it was in its own interest to do so, and not to "save other people's butts". A motif it has followed frequently in other conflicts since. My respect tho' to the people that gave so much... and I don't mean financial wealth.

Edited by fletchthai68

BTW Let's not forget that the US entered WW2 when it thought it was in its own interest to do so, and not to "save other people's butts". A motif it has followed frequently in other conflicts since. My respect tho' to the people that gave so much... and I don't mean financial wealth.

that of course is incorrect. or were my history teachers wrong teaching that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor? was it the sixth fleet which attacked Osaka on dec7 1941?

:o