Exchanging A European Driving License For Thai

Has anyone been to the transport office 1 (Soi Wat Hua Krabu, Banghuntian district) to exchange a European driving license for a Thai drivers license?

I read many different opinions about being required to take tests and /or needing international drivers licenses while exchanging?

I have a valid European license, WP and Non-B visa, but I've been here for quite a while now and getting an international license from back home is a bit difficult.

Clearly, I'd rather not take the tests..

BB

I am sure that you can not exchange your European driver license for a Thai one, but I might be wrong. I tried to exchange my license from Oklahoma, USA but it did not work very well. The only license, you can probably use in Thailand is the international one, but I am not positive if you can convert that one to Thai one either, maybe after you take several test do, I hope that those are in English, otherwise I can kiss my driving skills goodbuy :D for a long time. I probably suggest to get yourself an international driving license from your own country and drive with it here. Is there anybody here in the forum, who have already taken the driving test here in Thailand? So how was it? Easy or what :o

Andy

I believe there is information on the main web site. People obtain Thai license all the time on non immigrant visas. If you have other license believe you don't have to take the driving test. The other tests can be translated for you to answer either by someone there or taking someone. Think the only special requirement is a letter confirming your home address either from your Embassy or (cheaper) from immigration. But do a search for complete info and check main site.

Why bother? I've been driving here for years and whenever I get picked up on some bullshit offence I simply give them a bit of lunch money and everythings OK. It doesn't hurt to have your passport handy though.

Why bother? I've been driving here for years and whenever I get picked up on some bullshit offence I simply give them a bit of lunch money and everythings OK. It doesn't hurt to have your passport handy though.

You will surely find out at the very moment when you get involved in an accident and the insurance guys and possibly the police show up.

Driving without a valid license (= international Or Thai) is as good or better say bad as driving with no one at all. Usually insurance companies don't get a kick out of having to pay and surely appreciate any possibilty being offered to them.

Good luck and drive safely! :o

You will need a certificate of health from a doctor,your passport and visa,and residence verification, 2 pics, and the test is no problem,they let you read a laws manual,,and the test is in english,and the driving test is nothing to sweat about either,Thais pass it all the time,so you can too.

I was told that an international or your home country license is no good after you have an A or O visa,now that I am not sure of,but I do know that a Thai issued international is not honored here.

I had a valid license when I went to get my Thai license and they had me take all the tests. :o

You will need a certificate of health from a doctor,your passport and visa,and residence verification, 2 pics, and the test is no problem,they let you read a laws manual,,and the test is in english,and the driving test is nothing to sweat about either,Thais pass it all the time,so you can too.

I was told that an international or your home country license is no good after you have an A or O visa,now that I am not sure of,but I do know that a Thai issued international is not honored here.

I had a valid license when I went to get my Thai license and they had me take all the tests. :o

That is a good point about the validity of an IDP as it is normal they are only accepted for a few weeks and then you are expected to obtain a license in the country you are living. In the case of Thailand it is not available on a tourist visa so perhaps they do require it when you are here on another type of visa. Have never seen it addressed directly so it might take a judge to decide (and I would not want to be in front of that judge). So general advise should probably be to obtain a Thai license as soon as you can to be safe.

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/thaidriving.htm

Follow this link and it says that you can exchange International License for Thai License, no test.

I know thats what it says,but it didn't work for me,I had to take all tests,,Which I did with a big smile.

Just like it says that you need either 65,000 a month "OR" XXXX amount in a Thai bank acct. it does not say both, which I am required to do,,when I brought the OR word up to the immigration officer,,she said,"I know what it says,but this is what I say" so if you are thinking you can just obey the written law in thailand,,you are in for a terrible shock.

They enforce laws that are not on the books and do not enforce written law,,they are just like some little kids playing cards,,they make up the rules as they go along.

The general requirements are quite well covered in Pattaya licence. Just the address will be diferent in your case.

Unless you have an international licence you will be required to take a test, but it is not difficult.

Ignore the comments about driving without a licence.

Without one you have no insurance cover and could be in big trouble if

involved in an accident! :o

I got my first Thai drivers license issued at Bangkutien (Soi Wat Hua Grabue) about 1.5 years ago.

Had my European drivers license (pink colored one) and an expired (about two months) international one issued in Germany with me. In addition health certificate, proof of residence (issued by the German embassy) and non-immigrant visa.

Not too many foreigners down there and so there was quite a welcome when I showed up. The lady I talked to (in Thai) was all smiles (even asked whether I was already in a relationship) and checked the documents. At one point she pointed at the expiration date of the international license and ask whether this were the expiry date what I simply confirmed.

Anyway, I went to the color test (carried out by a muslim Thai lady). A little confusion at the beginning when I claimed that a dot she was pointing at was pink but eventually we got to the compromise that it was kind of a light pale red. Afterall, plenty of fun and no test at all despite the expired international license.

One year later renewal on basis of the previous Thai license plus non-immigrant visa = piece of cake. Present license good for five years.

Nevertheless, I am afraid with no international drivers license (issued in the home country) but just the national/European one must most likely sit the test. However, in any case, when going to Bangkutien be well dressed give those guys and particularly the gals in charge your biggest smile and things are usually much easier to turn in favor of you. Tell them a little bit about your European license and that it is accepted by so many different countries and shows so many language and who knows maybe they let it go as an international one under these circumstances.

Lots of luck. :o

I got my first Thai drivers license issued at Bangkutien (Soi Wat Hua Grabue) about 1.5 years ago.

Had my European drivers license (pink colored one) and an expired (about two months) international one issued in Germany with me. In addition health certificate, proof of residence (issued by the German embassy) and non-immigrant visa.

Not too many foreigners down there and so there was quite a welcome when I showed up. The lady I talked to (in Thai) was all smiles (even asked whether I was already in a relationship) and checked the documents. At one point she pointed at the expiration date of the international license and ask whether this were the expiry date what I simply confirmed.

Anyway, I went to the color test (carried out by a muslim Thai lady). A little confusion at the beginning when I claimed that a dot she was pointing at was pink but eventually we got to the compromise that it was kind of a light pale red. Afterall, plenty of fun and no test at all despite the expired international license.

One year later renewal on basis of the previous Thai license plus non-immigrant visa = piece of cake. Present license good for five years. 

Nevertheless, I am afraid with no international drivers license (issued in the home country) but just the national/European one must most likely sit the test. However, in any case, when going to Bangkutien be well dressed give those guys and particularly the gals in charge your biggest smile and things are usually much easier to turn in favor of you. Tell them a little bit about your European license and that it is accepted by so many different countries and shows so many language and who knows maybe they let it go as an international one under these circumstances. 

Lots of luck.  :o

quite right.

I have a German DL issued in 1973, had it translated and certified by the German embassy together with my address confirmation in BKK in 1987. used this plus a couple of photos and got my Thai DL. only had to take the colour test. international DL was never asked for (I had it but it had expired many years before).

a major requirement, at least at that time, was a Non-Imm visa. WP not required.

I did this at the old Bangkutien office before they moved to the new location.

opalhort