Sim Cards

I'm coming over to Samui in December for 4 months and wondered if anyone can tell me whether I can have a Thai SIM card put into my UK phone and if so, how much this is likely to cost.

Get your phone unlocked, if necessary, in the UK then buy sim here when you arrive. Sim card about 3-4 GBP here.

cheers

Sim 1-2-call is 49 Baht, every good mobile shop can unlock your mobile.

Dont know prices in Uk or Samui, but i remember unlocking Swedich mobiles a few years ago in Phantip placa (Bangkok) and it was 50 baht. It would be probably 10 times that price i Sweden.

I dont think you need to bather with that before you arrive. Easy and cheap here.

I'm coming over to Samui in December for 4 months and wondered if anyone can tell me whether I can have a Thai SIM card put into my UK phone and if so, how much this is likely to cost.

just buy a SIM card at every 7/11 or FamilyMart

i prefer AIS one2call

http://sm.one-2-call.com/

but d'ont forget, this SIM cards are not registered on your name.....

if you go to south-thailand u will no have any network there :o

If you buy your SIM in a TELEWIZ shop and register with your passport

then u will get access to the phone-network everywhere in LOS.

(incl. south provinces, eg. Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Trang, Phatthalung)

unlock a mobile in thailand is very easy and cheap, about 100-300bt...up to shop and where you go.

But take care, if you unlock your mobile, that they d'ont flash with just thai-language!

Check it before leaving the shop :D

good luck & happy holidays in LOS

Chayphum

post-51795-1191474390_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
...but d'ont forget, this SIM cards are not registered on your name.....

if you go to south-thailand u will no have any network there :o

If you buy your SIM in a TELEWIZ shop and register with your passport

then u will get access to the phone-network everywhere in LOS.

(incl. south provinces, eg. Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Trang, Phatthalung)

Got any proof of t his or is it heresay?

I might then be in the possession of a "magic" 1-2 Call Sim... :D

...but d'ont forget, this SIM cards are not registered on your name..... if you go to south-thailand u will no have any network there :o If you buy your SIM in a TELEWIZ shop and register with your passport then u will get access to the phone-network everywhere in LOS. (incl. south provinces, eg. Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Trang, Phatthalung)
Got any proof of t his or is it heresay? I might then be in the possession of a "magic" 1-2 Call Sim... :D

yeah maybe you have a magic SIM, where and when do you buy your SIM?

Do you registerd your card?

That you no get network in Malysia it's clear, first you have to call AIS and tell them

that you want use your SIM outside LOS....easy, but you must order this service first.

It's called International Roaming Service. Easily requested from 12-Call and Dtac--

That is, if you want to be able to use your phone outside the country. I have heard the same story as Chayaphum about unregistered phones in the deep South.

...but d'ont forget, this SIM cards are not registered on your name..... if you go to south-thailand u will no have any network there :o If you buy your SIM in a TELEWIZ shop and register with your passport then u will get access to the phone-network everywhere in LOS. (incl. south provinces, eg. Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Trang, Phatthalung)
Got any proof of t his or is it heresay? I might then be in the possession of a "magic" 1-2 Call Sim... :D

yes i have my own proof about what i wrote here.

I go to Malaysia with 2 mobiles and 2 different SIM-cards from AIS.

The registered one was work properly after HadYai until TakBai (everywhere in the South).

The other card (from 7/11) was not working when leave HadYai to the border of LOS.

Everybody on the trip have had the same problem and they wondering why it's not working there.

After that, i call AIS and ask why this happend. They told me about the terror-attacks in the south.

So about this reason they cut off the networkcells in souththailand for everybody who are not a registered customer!

Clear to understand....or not?

If somebody has a unregistered SIM from AIS and she working allover LOS......goodluck...maybe a mistake from AIS.

The registered one was work properly after HadYai until TakBai (everywhere in the South).

The other card (from 7/11) was not working when leave HadYai to the border of LOS.

Everybody on the trip have had the same problem and they wondering why it's not working there.

After that, i call AIS and ask why this happend. They told me about the terror-attacks in the south.

So about this reason they cut off the networkcells in souththailand for everybody who are not a registered customer!

If somebody has a unregistered SIM from AIS and she working allover LOS......goodluck...maybe a mistake from AIS.

Absolutely right. Have a sim-card (12call) that i registred in pantip placa, bangkok, it works everywhere. Even send and sms to Thailand from Sweden with my last bahts the last time i was there! And never any problems in penang or anywhere in Thailand.

Never thought it was due to the registration, but it always worket fine. Globaly i think.

• 1 year later...

A good mobile service is dtac(happy service) i have this and it works wonders its only half a bht per text and 1 baht a minute on tlephone calls its only fifty baht the sim and i have had mine the entire time i have been her(4 years) its easy cheap realiable and all the thais swear by it .

steve resident of thailand

I have had my 1 2 call unregistered sim now for around 4 years. I have been all over Thailand including the very south and never had a problem with it. When Thaksin was in power they considered making it compulsory to register your sim to try to prevent mobile phones being used in the troubles in the south. There was even talk of your sim not working after a certain date if not registered. It was never enacted to my knowledge.

My sim even worked in the UK without telling AIS ?