Chiang Mai To Penang

Hi,

after much confusion it seems that myself, wife and two young children can organize our non immigrant visas in Penang - I've searched both this forum and the Chiang Mai forum for info' on the best way to get from Chiang Mai to Penang and where to stay when in Penang but have drawn a blank thus far.

Bearing in mind that - travelling with a two year old - we can't do any long bus hauls - can anyone suggest a cost effective way to get from CM to Penang ? - and maybe a family friendly and affordable hotel in Penang ?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil and Susan - (resrea).

Hi,

after much confusion it seems that myself, wife and two young children can organize our non immigrant visas in Penang - I've searched both this forum and the Chiang Mai forum for info' on the best way to get from Chiang Mai to Penang and where to stay when in Penang but have drawn a blank thus far.

Bearing in mind that - travelling with a two year old - we can't do any long bus hauls - can anyone suggest a cost effective way to get from CM to Penang ? - and maybe a family friendly and affordable hotel in Penang ?

Many thanks in advance,

Have a look at Air Asia web site. Chiang Mai - Bangkok. Bangkok - Penang.

Plenty of hotels in Penang. You will find it a lot cheaper than Singapore, your other idea.

Hi,

Many thanks in advance,

Have a look at Air Asia web site. Chiang Mai - Bangkok. Bangkok - Penang.

Plenty of hotels in Penang. You will find it a lot cheaper than Singapore, your other idea.

It may be easier for you to go to Kuala Lumpur. Air Asia have direct flights from Chiang Mai.

You're going to have to stay 2 nights in Penang as you won't arrive in time from CM to hand in your docs. Do you have to take the baby ?

Do you have an option to go seperately ? Solves the baby problem.

Air Asia is the one for Penang but check others for the trip down to and especially back from Bangkok.

You also have the train option - Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Butterworth (which ends at the ferry station to Georgetown/Penang). 2nd class sleeper is quite comfortable and probably easier on a 2 year olds ears than flight. It is a long trip but on train you can move around and get food. Other options would be flight into Hat Yai and 3 hour (including crossing) van or share taxi trip.

One low priced hotel that I used some years ago was Waldorf (5-600 baht range). The Hotel Continental was my normal choice but in the 900 baht range - believe in 800-1300 range now by room selected. If travel not during holiday there was never a problem finding rooms anywhere. Chula street is the main foreigners area and has a number of small hotels and guest houses (but a lot a very run-down).