Safe To Spend The Night At Airport?

Hey everyone...

i just need to find out a couple of things. First of all, I'll be arriving at Subharvanumi airport at around midnight. And the plan is to hand around the airport till the first bus to Pattaya departs.

1)Is it safe to do that?

2)Would anyone with prior experience recommend to take a bus from the airport's transport centre? OR take a bus to ekkamai station and then to pattaya?

Would really be glad if you could reason out why. Eg cost, time, etc factor.

Thanks You in advance!

Must be coming from North America, they always arrive in the middle of the night :o

I've arrived around midnight and flown out at 6am before so have hung out in the airport for the 4 hours or so before check in. I found it to be perfectly safe (am a single female traveller) but uncomfortable and COLD. Bring a sweater.

= ) Actually from Singapore. Gaining a day if we start the travels the next morning.

Anyways! Thanks! That's a point to Safe.

Must be coming from North America, they always arrive in the middle of the night :o

I've arrived around midnight and flown out at 6am before so have hung out in the airport for the 4 hours or so before check in. I found it to be perfectly safe (am a single female traveller) but uncomfortable and COLD. Bring a sweater.

I've already staid at the airport overnight as well and I'd agree it's safe. Quite many people sleep there, so finding a cozy place can take a while. At least the FamilyMart stores are open 24 hours, so you won't starve as well. As mentioned already, it gets pretty cold at night.

Concerning your trip to Pattaya, I'd recommend to go there straight from the airport, as you waste a lot of time when you go to Ekkamai first.

Hey everyone...

i just need to find out a couple of things. First of all, I'll be arriving at Subharvanumi airport at around midnight. And the plan is to hand around the airport till the first bus to Pattaya departs.

1)Is it safe to do that?

2)Would anyone with prior experience recommend to take a bus from the airport's transport centre? OR take a bus to ekkamai station and then to pattaya?

Thanks You in advance!

Yes, it is safe.

Some stores are closed after midnight, but some stores are open 24 hours.

And a lot of people is haning around the airport in early morning, too.

Maybe it's good to carry additional jacket or something like that.

Hey everyone...

1)Is it safe to do that?

Thanks You in advance!

Ditto everyone's advice about the cold air-conditioning.

I usually find a quiet (like near the massage centre) place for a couple of hours sleep.

I then catch the free shuttle to the transportation centre, buy some breakfast at the 7-11 and wait on the seats outside for the ticket office to open (abt 50 metres from 7-11). This is normally 30mins before the first bus or you can buy from the bus conductor. I think Pattaya buses leave from bus stop 4 (written on sign in English), right outside 7-11. I catch the first one to Rayong from stop 3 at 5:40am.

Yes, it is safe.

Some stores are closed after midnight, but some stores are open 24 hours.

And a lot of people is haning around the airport in early morning, too.

Maybe it's good to carry additional jacket or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recomend a taxi, if you arrive at midnight and want to go to Pattaya. First bus is at 6 am , may be 9.

( pattayabus.com). Taxi about 1000 Baht, if you book it before (you ´ll find a telephonenumber somewhere ...).

No need to sleep at the airport. By taxi you need 1.5 hours to go to pattaya and sleep in a bed !

Hey everyone...

1)Is it safe to do that?

Thanks You in advance!

after a long flight staying in the airport will feel like a nightmare ,take a cab to pattaya and get a good nights sleep .

• 2 weeks later...

Try Mr T Pattaya Taxi Service.

He will pick you up at the airport in a new, air-con car, drive you to your hotel in Pattaya, for a miserable fee of 1,000 baht, including all tolls.

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 66-38-720 318

Mobile: 081 258 7716

If anyone wants to travel from Pattaya to the airport, his fee is 900 baht, including all tolls.

...and he has some rather cute looking female drivers too. :o

Try Mr T Pattaya Taxi Service.

He will pick you up at the airport in a new, air-con car, drive you to your hotel in Pattaya, for a miserable fee of 1,000 baht, including all tolls.

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 66-38-720 318

Mobile: 081 258 7716

If anyone wants to travel from Pattaya to the airport, his fee is 900 baht, including all tolls.

...and he has some rather cute looking female drivers too. :o

OK, thanks, booked and confirmed for Nov 17.

• 2 months later...

Did the Mr T ever show up noodle?

OK you might want to scratch this loser. Confirmed he'd pick me up from swampy twice by email, the day before I arrived.

At the airport no sign of him, so I called his mobile and woke him up. A brief conversation and finally I had to ask... "is anyone coming to collect me"? answer "no".

I walked over to the taxi rank and got a 1400 baht (including tolls) taxi to Pattaya.

Did the Mr T ever show up noodle?

OK you might want to scratch this loser. Confirmed he'd pick me up from swampy twice by email, the day before I arrived.

At the airport no sign of him, so I called his mobile and woke him up. A brief conversation and finally I had to ask... "is anyone coming to collect me"? answer "no". Could you elaborate further? Reason being I've heard his service highly recommended elsewhere & I'd like to share your experience with an acquaintance of mine.

I walked over to the taxi rank and got a 1400 baht (including tolls) taxi to Pattaya.

Could you elaborate further? Reason being I've heard his service highly recommended elsewhere & I'd like to share your experience with an acquaintance of mine.

The email 2 days prior to my arrival:

Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2007 12:03 AM

Subject: RE: Taxi pick-up Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya

Hello

Everything confirm.If you have any problem please call 081-2587716.

Thank you

Mr.T

I arrived at 6am, and wandered around for 20 minutes looking for him, he didn't show.

I called the cell number he provided me "in case of any problem". I obviously woke him up with my call.

He mumbled a lot and piss farted around. I said "mate is there someone coming to get me or not". He said "no", I hung up.

It is rather bizarre the number of people who spend thousands for the flight, and then will baulk at getting a cheap as chips taxi, particularly in the middle of the night. As another poster said, just the sort of tourist Thailand needs.

But I suppose the OP's destination should have alerted us to that.

As for being safe at the airport, I'd add another danger to those already mentioned: Emperor Tud's rampant homosexual security guards. Once the lights are out they will be hunting down young sex tourists sleeping on airport floors.

It is rather bizarre the number of people who spend thousands for the flight, and then will baulk at getting a cheap as chips taxi, particularly in the middle of the night. As another poster said, just the sort of tourist Thailand needs.

Well yes, they are ideal, add to the economy and go home poorer and probably not wiser

But I suppose the OP's destination should have alerted us to that.

Hmmm yes... Pattaya is a big alert. Doubtless sweaty in shorts and a singlet with tattooes. Seeking love.... :o

As for being safe at the airport, I'd add another danger to those already mentioned: Emperor Tud's rampant homosexual security guards. Once the lights are out they will be hunting down young sex tourists sleeping on airport floors.

Now Now.... thats unfair. Who knows what these young sex tourists want?? It may be ideal

There are quite a few people sleeping on the public seats, even on the floor. IMHO it's quite safe.

I went to suwanapoom airport a few days ago at 2am in the morning because I had remembered my visa was about to run out 2 days later. While I was there, I saw a few people sleeping on the chairs, floors; they even take their shoes off. So I guess it's quite comfortable (if you don't mind the bright lights).

There are many stores still open at that time, including Starbucks if you like it. In my opinion, if you'd like to feel warm; try staying a few hours in there (read a book maybe?), or sleep adjacent to the Starbucks exit. Something about Starbucks makes me feel at home..

Lots of security, plenty of open stores and bathrooms. Down side, ain't no lazy-boys to stretch back on. :o

What's all the balderdash?

Swampypool is not the best overniter, but safe as anywhere.

I arrive from NZ in evening, I buy a local English paper, usually, The Nation, our sponsor here. I then go to bottom level and go to Magic Food Point, next to gate 8.

Read paper, have feed and drink, cheapest and best at aiport.

On first level there are some upholstered seats. I usually find three together and have a snooze till first bus to bus depot. Not exactly cold, but pullover would be handy.

Bus fare into Victory Monument, 35 Baht. If your first visit, and a couple, taxi possibly best bet.

If ya know where ya going, possibly get off bus at Asoke/Sukhimvit, bus stop 16, I thinx, where Skytrain and Metro intersect, get any where from there. Ask bus driver.

I would do this about half a dozen times every year.

Good luck peoples.

Edited by Zpete