General Election Confirmed To Be Held On December 23, 2007

george

I wonder if they will have immunity when democracy is restored?

The winners will have immunity. The losers will live abroad. I am not quite sure about this whjen democracy is restored business. I am not sure democracy existed in the first place - just some elections based on who had hoovered up themost MPs with none of that checks and balances stuff, informed decisions or free media or ....... One day Thailand may get democracy for the first time rather than a bunch of elections that exclude virtually all of the population from even standing.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they will have immunity when democracy is restored?

The winners will have immunity. The losers will live abroad. I am not quite sure about this whjen democracy is restored business. I am not sure democracy existed in the first place - just some elections based on who had hoovered up themost MPs with none of that checks and balances stuff, informed decisions or free media or ....... One day Thailand may get democracy for the first time rather than a bunch of elections that exclude virtually all of the population from even standing.

We have all heard disgruntled citizens rail on about the lack of democracy in our own countries- about how there is no free speech (media controlled by big money/left wing pinkos/right wing puritans/ secular relativists)- .... that the checks and balances don't work (supreme courts packed with agenda driven hacks, appointed senates, activist judiciary... a system where only the rich can play at in the upper strata... lack of opportunity for public participation (referendums) in key issues...the unfairness of some groups being allowed/not allowed to vote at all. (prisoners, mentaly incapacitated- while some still claim that having women participate throws democracy out of kilter)... the lack of official opposition voice when a landslide occurs... pork barrel (yes even- shudder- populist) policies... decision making that is oblique at best... block voting- party discipline that trumps true representation/ true representation that trumps party promises...

The list of greivances goes on and on.... yet... these democracies- and not one of them even comes close to perfection- persist...

Those who seek perfection in a politcal system, would do much better to look at fascism. Or theocracy. And pray that the dictatorship will be benevolent. Democracy simply gives the people a bit of a voice in the way the society evolves. The Thais had that- and now, I fear, they won't for a long time.

Democracy simply gives the people a bit of a voice in the way the society evolves. The Thais had that- and now, I fear, they won't for a long time.

When was it exactly that Thais had a bit of a voice beyond the opportunity to say "yes, sir"?

Their most democratic and sensible governments (Anand and Chuan II) were unelected.

Democracy simply gives the people a bit of a voice in the way the society evolves. The Thais had that- and now, I fear, they won't for a long time.

When was it exactly that Thais had a bit of a voice beyond the opportunity to say "yes, sir"?

Their most democratic and sensible governments (Anand and Chuan II) were unelected.

What possible definition of democracy- in terms of ideals or practice would allow you to refer to the Anand regime as democratic? I agree, in many aspects it was one of the more enlightened regimes in modern Thai history- but in that it was NOT elected- it was NOT a democratic government. Any more than the Sarauyth one is.

Non-elected governments can be benevolent. But they can NOT call themselves democratic. By ANY definition.

And as far as Thais not having a voice- if you are referring to the opportunity to vote for a party that genuinely puts the interests of the majority (which just happens to be poor) first and foremost- you are pretty much right- (though many many people from western nations make the same statement- and yet don't welcome tanks on the streets)...but if you are suggesting that there was no free vote in Thailand- well- I strongly disagree.

Chuan Two was a government formed from an elected parliament. When Chavalit resigned, the Cobras from Samaks old right wing party, against his advice, joined a democratic coalition led by the Dems thereby giving it an overall majority in parliament. It was as democratically elected as any other Thai government as Thailand has a parliamentary system and not a presidential one. This is similar to some European systems where it is not unknown for another coalition to be formed when one falls and before more elections are held.

Sonthi also to ensure fair and transparent election

Deputy Prime Minister of Internal Security General Sonthi Boonyaratglin in his capacity as head of committee to publicize and encourage the election has stated that it his duty within the Ministry of Interior and as deputy prime minister to be responsible for the election. He states that as it is his duty he will meet with the Election Commission if any problems arise.

Nonetheless, General Sonthi reminds that he is not a major part of overseeing the upcoming election but he is in an executive position. His position obligates him to oversee various projects related to the election.

General Sonthi also responded to views that at the moment the nation's politics seem divided by saying that it is natural of politics.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 October 2007

Deputy Prime Minister of Internal Security General Sonthi Boonyaratglin in his capacity as head of committee to publicize and encourage the election has stated that it his duty within the Ministry of Interior and as deputy prime minister to be responsible for the election. He states that as it is his duty he will meet with the Election Commission if any problems arise.

Nonetheless, General Sonthi reminds that he is not a major part of overseeing the upcoming election but he is in an executive position. His position obligates him to oversee various projects related to the election.

General Sonthi also responded to views that at the moment the nation's politics seem divided by saying that it is natural of politics.

SrirachaJohn , Where are you ???

Ah ! I feel deeply relieved. It's "natural", so it's okay.

Another great thought of our Great Leader. :o

Are you surprised ?

With Sonthi now effectively interior minister , overseeing the upcoming elections , you can guess already what the outcome of the elections will be.

well...at least you got the "S" part of the name correct... :o

Prime Minister Surayud is concurrently assuming the post of interior minister.

As a deputy premier, Gen. Sonthi will take charge of security affairs.

- MCOT

Never left.

Surayud is Interior Minister

Sonthi is Deputy Prime Minister

Are you surprised ?

With Sonthi now effectively interior minister , overseeing the upcoming elections , you can guess already what the outcome of the elections will be.

well...at least you got the "S" part of the name correct... :o

Prime Minister Surayud is concurrently assuming the post of interior minister.

As a deputy premier, Gen. Sonthi will take charge of security affairs.

- MCOT

Never left.

Surayud is Interior Minister

Sonthi is Deputy Prime Minister

Don't let your rosy glasses turn into blindfolds.

I seriously hope that Ahbisit is given an opportunity to serve as PM on a coalition government (which I suspect is what it would have to be). He is the only one out there with a message (its there, for those of you who can read Thai. If you can't, that doesn't mean that there isn't a message....lol democrat.or.th/)

I have the feeling that he would do a terrific job, and would certainly be a better candidate than any of the other suspects lining up for a bite at the trough. Samak? Barnhart? Sonoh? *vomit*

I seriously hope that Ahbisit is given an opportunity to serve as PM on a coalition government (which I suspect is what it would have to be). He is the only one out there with a message (its there, for those of you who can read Thai. If you can't, that doesn't mean that there isn't a message....lol democrat.or.th/)

I have the feeling that he would do a terrific job, and would certainly be a better candidate than any of the other suspects lining up for a bite at the trough. Samak? Barnhart? Sonoh? *vomit*

The problem Abhisit will have will be controlling the other coalition parties and acquiescing to their demands. While Abhisit is a modern politicain and would do very well in an established western style liberal democracy where elections were also based on people making informed decisions and where the checks and balances works, he will have a lot more trouble being effective in the Thai style very limited democracy and where electoral choice is not made on informed decision will hold back his parties chances. He may well end up being PM and will certainly be a better choice that the alternatives but dont expect too much.

The problem Abhisit will have will be controlling the other coalition parties and acquiescing to their demands. While Abhisit is a modern politicain and would do very well in an established western style liberal democracy where elections were also based on people making informed decisions and where the checks and balances works, he will have a lot more trouble being effective in the Thai style very limited democracy and where electoral choice is not made on informed decision will hold back his parties chances. He may well end up being PM and will certainly be a better choice that the alternatives but dont expect too much.

I think that sums up Abhisit's position quite well.Also it's relevant to point out that the perception of the working class vote towards him is quite negative.But what a marvellous opportunity particularly as you suggest there are quite low expectations, as there were for the great post war leaders Attlee and Truman.He is really the first modern Thai politician-well educated, intelligent, clean and is well equipped to lead Thailand in the modern world, the first potential Thai leader who is not an embarassment on the world stage.There's a real challenge for him to address the "two nations" in the Disraelian sense of modern Thailand.I am quite certain that some of the power elite (by which I mean the self serving alliance of senior military officers/monopolistic business tycoons/reactionaries) regard him with distinct unease.The unsavoury junta leadership know he will not be a pushover post election, notwithstanding their rigged and flawed constitution designed to create chaos.But will he be able to form an administration without PPP scum for allies.That will be his conundrum.

Thai Cabinet endorses decree setting poll date

Tuesday 16 October 2007 12:53:48 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Oct 16 (TNA) - Thailand's Cabinet on Tuesday approved a royal decree setting December 23 as the date of the country's next general election, Election Commission (EC) secretary-general Sutthiphol Thaweechaikarn said.

The EC secretary-general told journalists after reporting on poll preparations to the weekly Cabinet meeting that the Cabinet had approved the decree which will be presented to His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej for royal endorsement next week.

The poll agency proposed that the decree take effect one day after being officially announced in the Royal Gazette.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, concurrently interior minister, said earlier that he would work closely with the EC to to ensure that the next general election would be held in a free and fair manner.

The polling agency would begin the registration of election candidates in early November.

Thai citizens living overseas and outside their constituencies will be allowed to cast ballots in advance voting from October 22-November 22.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said he would seek Cabinet approval to lift martial law in 11 provinces and reimpose it in three other provinces following calls from politicians that martial law be lifted prior to the polling date.

The 11 provinces where martial law will be lifted are Prachuap Khiri Khan, Petchaburi, Ratchaburi, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Kamphaeng Phet, Nong Bua Lamphu and Udon Thani.

Martial law will be reintroduced in Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan, three northeastern provinces viewed as political strongholds of the former ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party, now disbanded, which was founded by ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra who was deposed in the September 19 coup last year. (TNA)-E001

MCOT Public Company Limited.

The Royal election decree posted onto the Government Gazette, to take effect tomorrow

Cabinet Secretary General Surachai Poohprasert (สุรชัย ภู่ประเสริฐ) has revealed that the Royal Decree concerning the upcoming election has been posted in the government gazette, effectively ratifying all laws posed within the decree. The decree will thus take effect from tomorrow onward.

Mr. Surachai stated that he will preside over a meeting to discuss a pressing national agenda concerning the publicizing of remedies to vote buying. He will join a meeting of a committee that has been tasked with this agenda which also comprises members of the Election Commission (EC). The meeting will be the first ever gathering of the newly formed committee.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 October 2007

Defence Minister confident martial law will have no influence on election

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas (บุญรอด สมทัศน์) expresses his confidence that martial law will not affect the general election, especially in provinces that still enforce the law.

The minister adds that those provinces still have problems of drug trafficking and illegal immigration. Martial law allows military officers to use force to deal with the problems, he says.

The Cabinet meeting on October 22nd agreed to lift martial law in 11 more provinces and maintain it in 35 provinces, including 27 provinces along the border. However, the Cabinet assigned the National Security Council to decide whether to revoke martial law in some areas in the 27 provinces where security threats are not serious.

EC says Govt. needs to be neutral in general election

Election Commissioner Somchai Juengprasert (สมชัย จึงประเสริฐ) affirms the government needs to be neutral in the general election and says he will investigate into allegations against the government by leader of the People Power Party Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช).

According to the election commissioner, Mr Samak announced that the government tried to limit the rights of former members of the parliament from the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party who would run in the general election. Mr Somchai says he will look into the matter to see whether the government holds prejudice against them.

However, the election commissioner says he wants political parties to be confident that EC will ensure a free and fair general election and prevent influence from the government. He adds that the premier affirmed the interim government will support the election commission in arranging the election. He also calls for the media to help the government make sure that the election is in line with democracy and acceptable by the international community.

Royal Decree on election to be enforced Thursday

The Royal Decree on Thailand's December 23 general election will be published in the Royal Gazette today and take effect tomorrow, Cabinet Secretary-General Surachai Phuprasert said Wednesday.

Speaking in his capacity as secretary-general of the government's vote-buying prevention panel, Mr. Surachai said he would inform the committee which is headed by Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej endorsed the Royal Decree on October 18 fixing Thailand's general election for December 23.

The new election is seen as a solid move toward democracy in Thailand after the kingdom has been under military rule for over one year since last year's September 19 bloodless coup.

The upcoming poll is being seen as evidence proving that a full restoration of the Thai democracy is now in the pipeline and that last year's coupmakers are committed to honouring their promise to return sovereignty to the people by holding the poll within a year of the coup.

Source: TNA - 24 October 2007

Ad banners on political parties banned

Secretary General of the Election Commission (EC), Suthipol Thaweechaikarn (สุทธิพล ทวีชัยการ), has banned all forms of advertisements concerning activities of political parties once the General Election Decree takes effect.

Mr Suthipol says EC might not campaign for people to vote in the general election effectively in a limited time, adding that relevant government units and the media as well as political parties can help EC persuade people to come out and vote.

The secretary-general also states that after the General Election Decree takes effect on October 25th, all political parties are required to withdraw their advertisements in all forms of media.

might not campaign for people to vote in the general election effectively in a limited time

didn't take long ............................

all the official guff has been of the line that there will be / is ample time .

EC Chairman insists new election regulations will play neutral to all parties

The Election Commission (EC) Chairman, Mr. Apichart Sukhagganond (อภิชาติ สุขัคคานนท์), insists that the new election rule will be fair for all parties. He also advises all media members to be more cautious when reporting facts concerning the general election.

Mr. Apichart explains that the EC has done its utmost in examining the pros and cons of the new clause before unveiling it out in writing. Mr Apichart further added that although the new clause will not create satisfaction for all sides, no political parties can take advantages from the new regulation.

He dded that political parties cannot conduct their political campaigns according to their desires. The campaigns can only be carried out within the framework of the law. He believes that election campaign forums to be set up in provinces will promote more public participation. He expresses his concerns over influential figures who may try to do vote-buying practices.

Meanwhile, EC Secretary-General Suthiphol Taweechaikarn (สุทธิพล ทวีชัยการ), admits that the new election regulation is very stringent and may cause confusion to many. He confirms that the EC’s intention is to provide justice for all.

PM is confident voter turnout reaches 70%

The Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, is certain that concerned agencies are all set for the upcoming general election. He also believes that the voter turnout could possibly reach 70 percent.

Gen. Surayud says all state sectors and concerned parties have been attentively preparing for the polls set on December 23rd this year. He says Thai people from all walks of life are waiting to take part in the election, the proclaimed key landmark in the return to democracy and the new civilian government. The premier expresses his anticipation that the voter turnout should not be less than 60 percent.

In addition, Prime Minister Surayud stresses that the public can play as the key element to push forward just election and reduce vote buying. Hence, he has urged the Thai people to come out and exercise their voting rights all together.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 October 2007

Director of the DLA has instructed all local administrations to encourage constituents to join in on elections

Director of the Department of Local Administration (DLA) Somporn Chaibangyang (สมพร ใช้บางยาง) has instructed all local administrations to promote citizens to exercise their rights to vote as well as discourage vote buying.

The DLA reports that there are currently over 7,800 local administrations in all provinces across the country. The DLA states that it will set aside a budget on the provincial and district level to assist the administrations in publicizing and promoting the election.

Mr. Somporn also said that more over than promoting the election, he urges local administrators to educate and clarify the importance and process of voting. He believes understanding will promote participation at the same time as dissuading vote buying.

EC member Sodsri Sattayatham affirms guidelines cannot be amended

Election Commission (EC) member Sodsri Sattayatham has responded to many party’s queries concerning the adjustment of various EC guidelines pertaining to campaigning and preparation for the upcoming election. She stated that since the guidelines have been published in the Government Gazette they are considered as laws and cannot be amended.

Mrs. Sodsri was also astonished that many parties would not approve of the regulations as they had been allowed to attend meetings and voice their concerns many times prior to the finalization.

The EC member concluded though that presentations made by parties that were of a neutral nature and contributed to media integrity would be exceptional to existing regulations.

PM is confident voter turnout reaches 70%

The Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, is certain that concerned agencies are all set for the upcoming general election. He also believes that the voter turnout could possibly reach 70 percent.

Gen. Surayud says all state sectors and concerned parties have been attentively preparing for the polls set on December 23rd this year. He says Thai people from all walks of life are waiting to take part in the election, the proclaimed key landmark in the return to democracy and the new civilian government. The premier expresses his anticipation that the voter turnout should not be less than 60 percent.

In addition, Prime Minister Surayud stresses that the public can play as the key element to push forward just election and reduce vote buying. Hence, he has urged the Thai people to come out and exercise their voting rights all together.

deja vu. Before the charter vote was it?

EC prepares to clarify new regulations to the media

Election Commission (EC) Secretary General Suthipol Taweechaikarn stated that next week the EC will invite members of the media to acknowledge new regulations concerning party campaigns. He stated that the EC will clarify the regulations as to allow the media to act accordingly. The EC will also take comments from the media the following week.

EC member Praphan Naikowit also commented that a recent misunderstanding by parties has been rectified. He stated parties understood that all vehicles were not to be used in campaigning but the EC had only meant large vehicles that could act as stages.

Democrat disagrees with EC’s regulations on election campaign

Deputy Leader of the Democrat Party Withaya Kaewpharadai (วิทยา แก้วภราดัย) says the Election Commission (EC) destroys the fundamentals of Thai political culture and calls on EC to revise regulations on election campaigns.

The deputy leader says EC’s regulations, which he thinks imitate Japanese political culture, limit the rights of candidates for members of the parliament and are not appropriate for the Thai society. He adds that election campaigns by political parties are a characteristic of Thailand’s politics and they can inform people of each party’s policies.

Regarding EC’s regulation requiring television stations to give equal air time for all political parties for their advertisements, the deputy leader says the regulation is not practical. He says further that EC’s idea to arrange a central forum for all MP candidates to announce their policy will not be successful due to high expenses and a lack of interest by people.

The deputy leader also requests EC to focus on the suppression of electoral fraud instead of regulations on election campaigns.

New EC campaign rules spark outcry

Political parties yesterday decried the Election Commission's (EC) campaigning rules as too tough.

They say banning candidates from running their own public activities will benefit vote buyers.

Parties said they would submit letters to the commission demanding it alter the rules to make them more democratic.

The EC insisted the new rules would make the December 23 election fair and equal for all parties. But it would reconsider them if it made campaigning too difficult.

"The new rules violate democratic principles and will push the country backward," Thavorn Senneam, deputy secretary-general of the Democrat Party, said.

"They will benefit the parties that like to buy votes," he said. "But it will ruin the Democrat Party as our strategy is to approach and get in touch with the people."

Supapornphong Chuanboon, deputy spokesman for the Matchima Thippatai Party, said the EC's rules were so tough candidates would have little room to run a campaign without breaking the law.

He said he was worried the rules would hamper the restoration of democracy.

Wichit Plangsrisakul, a legal expert for the People Power Party, said the rules were difficult for any party to follow. As such, they would not be able to take any new steps to getting politics back on track.

He said quality candidates would have no chance to make themselves known to the public.

The Democrats planned to submit an appeal to the EC today asking it to reconsider the rules, Thavorn said.

The EC obliges all political parties to follow its "roadmap" to make the election fair and equal. It claims the rules will reduce the influence of money politics.

Election Commission chairman Apichart Sukhagganond said the EC welcomed comments on whether certain rules were too strict. However, the EC was serious about preventing electoral fraud and the use of dirty or underhand tactics.

Television stations were still allowed to report on politics, but they must not feature specific politicians to the detriment of their opponents. Candidates should not be favoured over others just because they have more money, Apichart said.

He said the EC had tried its best to make the regulations acceptable to the people. It had tried to ease some rules that might have been too tough, while at the same time keeping others that would help to improve things. While trying to loosen the rules on campaigning, not everyone would be happy.

EC secretary-general Suthiphon Thaveechaigarn warned the parties to begin observing the campaigning rules immediately as the royal decree on the December 23 election came into effect yesterday.

Election candidates and media outlets, if convicted of campaign violations, could face a jail term of up to six months, he said.

"The rules are meant to ensure fairness so that large parties will not have an advantage over small parties," he said.

One of the key rules was that television stations must allocate equal airtime to all parties in the race if they invite candidates to appear on their programmes.

The regulations on airtime are prescribed by respective provincial panels, each of which is chaired by a provincial election committee chairman.

Each local government is responsible for supervising campaign billboards and other forms of public displays.

Candidates are allowed to use mobile units to broadcast campaign messages but are banned from converting vehicles into a platform for making campaign speeches at a rally.

Candidates can communicate freely with their constituents via email, websites and print media.

Supapornphong said Matchima Thippatai leaders were examining if the party's current activities or future plans would violate the EC rules.

If the party found it impossible to carry on under the rules or found they made the election unfair for any party, it would officially oppose them and announce its stand to the EC.

People Power Party deputy leader Somchai Wongsawat said it would not reject the strict campaigning rules as long as the EC enforced them fairly.

"My party will not resort to underhand tactics to sway votes in spite of the stringent rules."

Somchai called on the EC not to play favourites. He said the party had issued a handbook reminding its candidates to observe the 45 guidelines on campaigning and avoid being disqualified.

Strictly speaking...

1 All campaign billboards and posters are only allowed to be set up in spots designated by the EC, which will also have the power to rule on the size of posters.

2 Only the EC is authorised to allow stages or forums for candidates to publicly campaign, both in the capital and provinces. Privately run associations and educational institutions are not allowed to provide such forums without permission from the EC.

3 The EC will prescribe air-time on television and radio for all parties.

4 Candidates are only allowed to use cars to advertise campaign messages, but are banned from converting vehicles into a platform for making campaign speeches in front of a rally.

5 Candidates must notify the EC about expenditure by campaign staff.

6 Candidates are banned from presiding over ceremonies such as merit making, or giving donations or charity events.

7 Campaign parades with music are banned from the registration day.

8 Television stations must allocate equal airtime to all parties if they invite candidates to appear on their programmes.

Source: The Nation - 26 October 2007