"retirement Visa"

I was told by the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon that they could issue me the Retirement Visa based upon meeting all of the requirements, and that I would need to only report my address every 90 days for the first year..  Upon applying for the 1 year extension, I would need to show the sums deposited within Thailand and from outside of the country to obtain the extention...  Thus avoiding tying up the 800,000 until the end of the first year...

Any comments???

Pianoman

I JUST RETURNED FROM BANGKOK IMM. , I ARRIVED AT 9:10AM MONDAY WITH A MEDICAL CERTIF. (50B), PASSPORT, APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF MY RETIREMENT (OA) VISA, 1099 (MILITARY RETIRED) TAX FORM AND LETTER FROM U.S. EMBASSEY (30US) STATING MONIES EARNED. I WAS OUT OF THERE AT 9:45AM WITH ALL EXTENSIONS AND MULTIPLE ENTRE THEY REQUIRED NO THAI BANK ACCOUNT DUE TO THE CONTINUED RETIREMENT PAY FROM THE MILITARY. THE FOLKS THERE WERE VERY HELPFUL AND GREAT TOO WORK WITH.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THEY REQUIRED NO THAI BANK ACCOUNT DUE TO THE CONTINUED RETIREMENT PAY FROM THE MILITARY.

MasterChief,

That's interesting considering retired military pay will be the financial basis of my stay. You said this was an extension--did you get your original visa without a Thai bank statement? And if you don't mind saying, how do you receive your retirement pay?

Thanks!

MasterSergeant

Harpman -- I did see your other thread and I am truly amazed at the differences. Houston was quite clear: One copy of the visa application and two photos! They sent this in writing. For them the bank balance/income statement was an either/or thing. I faxed her the income statement in advance and she said it would be fine. For good measure I included my latest Thrift Savings Plan statement.

The O/A Supplement is a form that asks for things like intended residence, a reference in Thailand and some other bio data.

I wasn't asked for employment or educational information.

I have all this stuff at the office, so I'll double check in the morning to make sure.

Did they give you any idea how long it will take? Houston told me that the whole package has to go to the Embassy in DC and then on to Bangkok via pouch. Sounds like weeks in my case.

Hi Mike,Thanx for the info concerning the OA supplement,as Stephanie did not mention this. Redwood 13,who responded to my N.O.Consulate thread,

also says that the bank/pension

thing should be either/or as well.

I will be going in to clarify/start submitting paperwork ASAP,as I have the luxury of being close enough to go in person.Got to get that car back 1st! P.S. I havent gotten far enough yet to get any feedback as to how long the process will take.Will post after my 1st "face to face" next week .One thing I will mention,I get the distinct impression that OA retirement visas arent requested here very often,

so a lot of this may be actually new to THEM as well!

Yeah, it's interesting. The RTE site says I should go to them. Portland says go to LA. Houston is willing to process my application there. I suppose it's a combination of ambiguous internal instructions and my rather unusual current residence.

MG, Last April, I wanted to apply for a 1st time retirement visa. I live in Tennessee, and could not get lucid answers from the Washington DC Thai embassy staff, so at the recommendation of a friend, I phoned the Thai Houston consulate, and received clear instructions on documents to send.

I Fed-Exed the documents to Houston on a Wednesday, they received and processed them the next day, and I received my 1 year, multi entry O-A retirement visa on Friday.

Great service!

Here are the exact visa requirements I received from Houston, somewhat abbreviated:

==================================================

1 - Current signed passport valid for not less than 6 months

2 - One visa application form

3 - Two current identical photographs (2X2")

4 - Processing fee....

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA - $50/entry ... SETTLEMENT AFTER RETIREMENT (requires proof of retirement and financial support) ...

Curiously, they also sent a print-out of this page:

Thai Embassy DC Retirement Visa Requirements

Which, of course, is contradictory to the above instructions in that it requires three (not one) copies of the visa application form and three photos. It also spells out the documentation required as to health, financial support, etc.

It still amazes me that even a single consulate sends out contradictory information in a single package!

Here are the exact visa requirements I received from Houston, somewhat abbreviated:

1 - Current signed passport valid for not less than 6 months

2 - One visa application form

3 - Two current identical photographs (2X2")

4 - Processing fee....

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA - $50/entry ... SETTLEMENT AFTER RETIREMENT (requires proof of retirement and financial support) ...

Curiously, they also sent a print-out of this page:

Thai Embassy DC Retirement Visa Requirements

Which, of course, is contradictory to the above instructions in that it requires three (not one) copies of the visa application form and three photos. It also spells out the documentation required as to health, financial support, etc.

It still amazes me that even a single consulate sends out contradictory information in a single package!

It is definitely 3 copies.

Hey Mike: Good question about Houston,as I was also told 3 copies of appl.here in N.O. and 2 pics for each...Something else I see too,this $50 figure was never mentioned either.Im paying $125,but remember I was also assured of the multi entry feature with my OA...Have you inquired about this?? Sounds like Houston may be issuing you a single

entry,hence the difference in price.

Yeah Mike,that's what I figured(about the multi vs single)

The# of pics must have to do with the fact that she needs 3 copies of the application....I checked the link to the Thai Embassy,and sure enough thats what it says.(as u already know) When I go in next week and talk to them 1 on 1,Ill find out EXACTLY what's needed then. Until Later! the Harpman

MG, Last April, I wanted to apply for a 1st time retirement visa.  I live in Tennessee, and could not get lucid answers from the Washington DC Thai embassy staff, so at the recommendation of a friend, I phoned the Thai Houston consulate, and received clear instructions on documents to send.

I Fed-Exed the documents to Houston on a Wednesday, they received and processed them the next day, and I received my 1 year, multi entry O-A retirement visa on Friday.

Great service!

Hey Shot,You say Houston gave you clear instructions on what documents to send,but you dont say exactly what you ended up sending them.

Is it exactly what MG was told to send? Should be,considering you're both using Houston....Im curious about how you 2 match up considering the differences from my experience thus far... That's quite encouraging

about the great service you received,too,by the way.

Houston told me that the whole package has to go to the Embassy in DC and then on to Bangkok via pouch. Sounds like weeks in my case.

Inconsistencies between Consulates is one thing -- now it looks like they occur between desks..... Pouch to Bangkok sounds like the old days, however.

Multi-entry O-A's would seem to be worth the extra $75, if you can get one, unless you don't plan to travel away from Thailand. With a single entry O-A, you'll need to visit Immigration for a multi-entry stamp, which costs about $100 (3800bt). But no need to see Immigration for a whole year with an upfront multi-entry O-A. Plus, as Redwood 13 found out, every time he reentered Thailand on his multi-entry O-A, his 360-day clock restarted (although the subsequent entry stamps -- and correct policy - probably should have reflected the initial 'admitted until' date). But others have found that Immigration's confusion over the little-seen O-A visas has resulted in a 90-day stamp, not the 360-day one. So, be prepared to call over a more senior Immigration officer upon initial entry with your O-A..

With a single entry O-A, you'll need to visit Immigration for a multi-entry stamp, which costs about $100 (3800bt). But no need to see Immigration for a whole year with an upfront multi-entry O-A.

I guess I didn't understand this. If I did I would have opted for a multiple entry O-A. The whole process has been pretty confusing from the get-go for me. Too late now.... :o

That's interesting considering retired military pay will be the financial basis of my stay. You said this was an extension--did you get your original visa without a Thai bank statement? And if you don't mind saying, how do you receive your retirement pay?

Dave,

I think the Chief got his first year via the O-A route, so his extension is the first time financial requirements within Thailand needed to be met.

Nice to know all's we need to do is wave our Embassy-certified retirement printouts at Immigration. Of course, the way the dollar's going, soon only flag officers will qualify.

If you're thinking about direct deposit of your retirement check into a Thai bank, I don't think DFAS (like Social Security) will allow it. But I don't know for sure, so I too would be interested in a definitive answer.

If you're thinking about direct deposit of your retirement check into a Thai bank, I don't think DFAS (like Social Security) will allow it. But I don't know for sure, so I too would be interested in a definitive answer.

I know it works with Bangkok Bank if you use the Thailand branch account number and the New York branch routing number. I'm the manager of a Social Security Office and I've set this up for several beneficiaries.

Dave,

I think the Chief got his first year via the O-A route, so his extension is the first time financial requirements within Thailand needed to be met.

Nice to know all's we need to do is wave our Embassy-certified retirement printouts at Immigration. Of course, the way the dollar's going, soon only flag officers will qualify.

I'm currently reading two threads concerning visas--this one and a "marriage visa" thread as well. What's being said by the veteran posters in that thread is that having the cumulative amount of money in the bank is the key and seem to infer that trying to base it on income over the year is a shaky way to go. But the MasterChief's post would indicate otherwise. I don't know if it makes a difference it it's a retirement or marraige visa (I could go either way).

Jim, I was under the same impression as you that direct deposit of government checks to Thailand was no go, but it sounds like Saipan Mike has a plan!

:o I will be depending on four different checks (my military, the wife's civil service, and two SocSec), so I'll have to figure out something. But since retirement is still eight years out, the rules my be unrecognizeable from their current form by then. :D

Meanwhile the in-laws are enjoying the house I already built!

Mike,in post 134 you state that u didnt understand the single vs multi thing....In my case,here in N.O. it wasnt even mentioned up front that these options even existed,I only knew thru the posts I read here,particularly Redwood's OA experience. So I asked Stephanie specifically if this was a multi and she told me then, AFTER explaining everything else that it was.Its not your fault you didnt know,sounds like Houston didnt spell this out for you either.MAYBE if you send them the extra $s they could change it for you??

I think at a this point I'll just leave things as they are and get a re-entry permit if we decide to go abroad during the first year. I don't want to mess things up by trying to change horses mid-stream.

I think you are right. Just remember to get re-entry permits if you leave Thailand after getting the one year extension. Good luck.

I know it works with Bangkok Bank if you use the Thailand branch account number and the New York branch routing number. I'm the manager of a Social Security Office and I've set this up for several beneficiaries.

Mike,

Great info to know! This, then, should work for any type of direct deposit, plus the mechanics are in place for electronic fund transfers from any US bank account into your Thai Bangkok Bank branch account via New York.

I wonder what the catch is, however, since many on this forum would love to be able to avoid the wire transfer fee ($50 in my case) when sending money from a Stateside bank to Thailand. If all this could become transparent using Bangkok Bank New York, great!

Any additional info you can add? What about conversion to baht (interbank exchange rate, telex rate, etc.)?

Thanx.

Any additional info you can add? What about conversion to baht (interbank exchange rate, telex rate, etc.)?

Thanx.

Afraid I don't have any of that. I've just set it up for a few of our beneficiaries and they report that it is transparent to them. As far as US Treasury is concerned they're doing an EFT to a US bank. But, the money ends up in the Thai branch in a timely fashion.

I'm planning to do this with my Federal pension when the time comes this April.

Houston consulate has had my retirement visa application for a week now. Is that normal, or should I be worried? The information sheet they sent me talked about a 24 hour turn-around time, but in an e-mail message they said:

> In order to apply for a retirement visa in Thailand you must first

> obtain the O-A visa here in the states and your documents must be

> forwarded by the Consulate to Washington Embassy to be forwarded to

> Bangkok prior to your application there.  Attached is the information

> and the application forms, both of which are required.

Got a call from Michelle at the Royal Thai Consulate in Houston today. She said that my retirement visa is all ready but that I should send them $75 more so that it is a multiple entry visa. I will do that today.

So relieved to hear that all is well with the visa application.

I don't travel until April 5th, so I've got plenty of time.

Retirement here I come. 43 work days and counting....

Here are the requirements for a multi entry retirement Visa which costs $225AUD and turn around time from the Royal Thai Consulate in Sydney this is from their 2005 web site.

Bigmike.

Applying for Temporary Residents under the 'O-A' Code for foreigners aged 50 years and over

(Non-Immigrant Visa code O-A)

1. Qualifications for the Applicant

1. An alien being 50 years of age and above (on the date of submitting an application)

2. Not being a person prohibited from entering the Kingdom.

3. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

4. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (Leprosy, Tuberculosis (T.B.), Elephantiasis, Drug Addiction, Alcoholism, Third step of Syphilis)

5. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.

6. Not being allowed to work in Thailand

2. Documents for the Applications

1. A passport valid no less than one year and a half

2. Four completed and signed Visa Application Form (attached with one photo for each visa application form).

3. A Personal Data Form

4. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

5. In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is to be shown as well.

6. Verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verification shall be valid for no more than 3 months).

7. A Medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Miniterial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months)

8. In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the O-A code visa, their marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence. (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the 'O' Code).

Note:

1) Original documents of No.4 - 7 and No. 8 (if applicable) have to be notorized by a Notary Public.

2) Document No.4 and No.5 must be issued from the same organization and must be issued within 3 months.

3) Additional three copies of documents No.3 – 7 and No. 8 (if applicable)

4) Application fee is AUD$225 for one year visa (Multiple entries)

5) The process will take at least 5 working days.

3. Recommendations for the Alien while staying in the Kingdom

1. When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there. In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

1) The Report form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as a self addressed envelop with postage affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

2) In case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.

2. At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the extended period at the Immigration Bureau with the documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, at the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

3. If the alien's spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate shall be produced.

• 2 weeks later...

My Retirement Visa is finally on its way back from Houston. I should have it here on Saipan by early next week. (FedEx takes about five days.) The round trip including processing will have taken about a month. Part of the delay was due to my sending in the incorrect processing fee; something that was not really clear from the instructions they sent to me via e-mail.

:o

Got a call from Michelle at the Royal Thai Consulate in Houston today. She said that my retirement visa is all ready but that I should send them $75 more so that it is a multiple entry visa. I will do that today.

So relieved to hear that all is well with the visa application.

I don't travel until April 5th, so I've got plenty of time.

Retirement here I come. 43 work days and counting....

Down to 31 days and counting :o

Down to 31 days and counting :D

Indeed, Dr. Pat and I'm getting rather excited about it all. After a 31 year career and 26 years on Saipan, I'm ready for a change....

:D

After the peace and quiet of Saipan, be careful of all that traffic in the City of Angles, the buggers don't stop for pedestrians at marked crossings. :o