Bank Recommendation In Thailand....

Hey members, I was wondering, can anybody of you recommend me a bank here in Thailand, which will not have a problem to open an account for me without a working permit or at least open a joint account for me and my wife. I am asking that question because those morons from Bangkok bank do not want even to put my name on my wife's account, even if I have transferred tons of money from overseas into their bank. I decided to open another account, but the question is where??

Please let me know with any recommendations....

Thanks

Andy :o

ANDY; I have had an acct. since I came to Thailand on a tourist visa,and I opened it my first week in CM at SCB and still do business with them,and have transfered my acct from CM branch to where I live now,,make my monthly transfers with them every month and have put my wifes name on the acct.

I never have any problems with them and they go out of their way to be a farang friendly business to my thinking.

There are thousands of us here with accounts at Bangkok Bank.  If one branch will not help you just thank them and proceed to another.  And keep cool. :D

You see the problem with Bangkok Bank is that all the individual branches act like separate institutions, why the heck they are using the same name :o , I sure do not know. So I guess I have to open another account in different Bangkok branch, where people will act more friendly or open an account in Siam Comm. Bank.

Thanks for the help :D

Andy

ANDY; I have had an acct. since I came to Thailand on a tourist visa,and I opened it my first week in CM at SCB and still do business with them,and have transfered my acct from CM branch to where I live now,,make my monthly transfers with them every month and have put my wifes name on the acct.

I never have any problems with them and they go out of their way to be a farang friendly business to my thinking.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it. It looks like either SCB or different branch of Bangkok Bank, it all depends on how helpful they are. Since the other branch do not want to help me, oh well good luck to them in doing business in the future.

Thanks

Andy

Hey Kevin, by the way which one of the branches of SCB are you using, so I can go ahead and call them and see how to work the things out.

Thanks

Andy

HSBC has accounts for residents and non-residents in various currencies. It also provides good service (banking by phone, internet, & ATM) but u have to deposit a minimum of 0.5m baht.

For over 2m baht deposit, u get a hotel-lobby-like banking area, a personal manager, and newspapers & coffees while waiting for your transactions to be done, almost like private banking. HSBC has only one branch in BKK, don't forget to get an ATM card , then u can get money everywhere in the kingdom.

I had accounts at both Bangkok Bank and SCB for many years. In the end I dropped BKK Bank as I found the service at SCB superior at virtually every branch, by comparison. SCB seems to re-invest more in staff training and in technology than Bangkok Bank, at least in my observation. And yes, more farang-friendly in general.

I might have kept the Bangkok Bank acct anyway but I had several hiccups with internat'l bank transfers at my main branch, yet never had a problem with SCB.

Friends of mine who do a lot of business here in Thailand tell me that Bank of Asia is best for farang-oriented business accounts. I also hear good reports about Kasikorn Bank, although having had an account there for a year or so as well, I still felt I was getting better service at SCB.

As far as opening an account without a work permit, I can't say as I opened my accounts long before the 97 meltdown, which was when most banks started asking to see work permits, to inhibit the liquidation of baht during devaluation cycles. At the moment I should think all banks would tend to be more lenient again. For awhile you couldn't change baht to dollars at any bank or international airport in Thailand without showing an outgoing international air ticket, but that practice has halted as far as I know. The Thais seem to think the baht is stable again ....

Choose a bank near your residence or work (if you have any).

I opened an account on a 30-day tourist visa, got an ATM card. Krung Thai Bank. Also have accounts with DBS Thai Danu and Siam Commercial.

If you use ATM machines outside your local service area, there is a 10 baht charge. If you use another bank's ATM here is a 10 baht charge.

But I have never had a hassle opening an account.

Now I am different status and forsee no problems in the future - provided I keep my wife away from the money. :o

Have never tried a joint account.

Choose a bank near your residence or work (if you have any).

I opened an account on a 30-day tourist visa, got an ATM card. Krung Thai Bank. Also have accounts with DBS Thai Danu and Siam Commercial.

If you use ATM machines outside your local service area, there is a 10 baht charge. If you use another bank's ATM here is a 10 baht charge.

But I have never had a hassle opening an account.

Now I am different status and forsee no problems in the future - provided I keep my wife away from the money. :o

Have never tried a joint account.

The last time I paid a fee for using another banks ATM (and I do so quite often) was two years ago and it was 3 baht. Believe it only happens if you exceed three times in one month.

I would not recommend BBL (Bangkok Bank) either.

Service and queue handling is appalling. I left them after 10 years.

I now use Krung Thai and throughly recommend them

ANDY; I have had an acct. since I came to Thailand on a tourist visa,and I opened it my first week in CM at SCB and still do business with them,

To KevinN: This sure sounds good!

I will be arriving in CMai early next year and will be needing an acct. there to handle my retirement deposits/withdrawals,

already have acct. at BKK Bank in BKK, but as a result of your recommendation will go with SCB for my CMai acct. Exactly where is the branch at which you opened your original acct? Thanx much in advance,the Harpman.

As to BKK Bank's service,Ive had no problems at my branch,(Sukhumvit

Rd.across from Ambassador Hotel)

But I would hesitate to recommend them in general,as most posters here know,this experience could vary widely between branches/regions.

I/m with SCB in Pattaya, never had any problems and they tend not to be as busy as the other banks......also they will do you an international ATM card if you ask (200 baht fee) its issued instantly, you pick your own pin number by entering it into a machine which they then swipe the card through. Am also with Thai Farmers........no problems again but the queues tend to long .Oh almost forgot..........opened mine on a tourist visa.