Hired Car Has Been Stolen.

You have a copy of the drivers licence, passport or ID and the contract to return it by a certain date and time.

How long overdue is the car? A little lea way is OK but remember the chances of getting your car back are improved with prompt reporting.

Do you have a phone number? If so ring them to ask if they wish to extend the agreement. If they do not respond you have a problem.

If you can not contact them it is a trip to the police station with the documents to lodge a stolen vehicle report as is required by your insurance company if you want any chance of being paid out on the claim. I hope the credit card slip to cover the excess is still valid.

As mentioned, need to contact the police if a reasonable amount of time past the return date has expired. They will also be able to find out if it may have been in an accident which is another reason that it may not have been returned.

so how the rental companies/thai shops are working?

sure they rent cars to people they dont know (ie: starngers pass by)

they dont have rental insurance.

so they just take the risk ?

Reckon they pay rather higher insurance rates than for a car used solely by the family.

Got a friend here who bought a new Toyota Hiace hightop van.  They've got their own driver but use the van for charter trips all over Thailand, paid trips.  Their insurance on the van is HIGH, one because of the high mileage (kilometerage?) they travel and two because of the added potential liability for the paying pax.

Mac

hi everybody ,

I would like to advice with you about a case I have. I let someone rent a car from me (first class insurance) and the car didnt came back ..it was stolen!

now what is my legal situation ?

Does your work permit include renting vehicles as part or your sole job?

so how the rental companies/thai shops are working?

sure they rent cars to people they dont know (ie: starngers pass by)

they dont have rental insurance.

so they just take the risk ?

I,ll get to the point. You rented a vehicle to make some extra money. We can all understand that. As a previous poster asked.............you got copies of passport/ID card right? Signed an agreement right?

Took a deposit? Had the insurance that was valid for rental?

Probably not. Call the police and make a statement. Chances of getting paid by the insurance company? Probably zilch. Sorry

The advice I give people when they want to hire a car in Thailand is rent from Avis or Hertz and this post is an example why.

The car has been rented on a private first class 'no hire' policy. In this case the person renting the car out is loosing out - for which he has my sympathy.

But what would have been the case if the person hiring the car had an accident and was then driving without a valid insurance?

That said, best of luck with getting your car back.