Ocean Tower 1

Below is an item from the latest Pattaya Mail. They have been selling this monstrosity for months. How can they if they have not got all the necessary permits?

Ocean 1 Tower gets preliminary green light

Passes localized referendum

Local citizenry voiced their worries about public utilities in the community after the Ocean 1 Tower is completed.

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

Despite concerns over utilities, safety and traffic, the 91-storey Ocean 1 Tower passed a localized referendum in Jomtien on October 1.

People living or working within a 1 kilometer radius of the project were invited to vote after voicing their concerns and listening to answers from project managers and local government officials. Approximately 400 people turned up for the hearing and subsequent referendum.

The hearing was also attended by representatives from the Office of Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning, city councilors, representatives from 27 communities, and tourism entrepreneurs.

One of the main concerns raised at the meeting was about water, or lack thereof. Environmental researcher Sitthichai Tantanasarit responded that the city’s water resources would be enough to handle the 700-800 m3 of water the Ocean 1 Tower would use per day, as only half of this amount, 400 m3 of water, would need to come from the city supply. The other 400 m3 of Ocean 1 Tower’s daily water needs would come from recycled sources.

Sitthichai went on to say that project is being planned to stay within the law regarding it being the correct distance from the sea, and providing management against disasters. Also, because of the proposed building’s height, the project will require a wind tunnel test.

Chonburi Province officials have voiced concern about public utility problems, but Weera Sinto, GM of N.S. Consultant Co., Ltd., the advisor and designer of the environmental system for the construction project, said he will keep a close eye on progress to make sure all concerns are addressed properly, such as protection against fire, traffic, eradicating wastewater, public utilities, and scenery.

A committee also will be set up with Pattaya City to check the project and control construction. Ocean 1 Tower officials have agreed to support a budget of 7 million baht for Pattaya City to develop and solve problems in the community around the project area, and they will set aside a free commerce area of 50 m2 for the community.

Tawich Chaisawangwong, Pattaya City Council chairman, said that the Ocean 1 Tower project had been submitted to the Pattaya Council for discussion and approval. There had been some doubts about the effect on the environment and public utilities, but in his opinion, he believes this project will be good for the city’s tourism image, and would create jobs and tax revenue for the local government.

After all the talk was over, most of the local villagers agreed to proceed, as they hope to receive benefits and increase their daily income after the project starts.

For the next step, project plans will be submitted to the Office of Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning for consideration this October, and is expected that plans will be approved soon.

Ocean 1 Tower will have 91 floors and be more than 305 meters high, with 611 rooms and a 2 story plaza. The project will take 4-5 years to complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously one should not always rely on media reports. The meeting reported in Pattaya City News took place on the morning of 1st October (it actually said Monday, but I presume it was 1st October). The one reported in Pattaya Mail was on the same day; time not specified, but presumably before the meeting at City Hall. Obviously a busy morning for some. No wonder there are problems with View Telay 7.

According to the Mail the application still has to “..be submitted to the Office of Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning for consideration this October.” There are also wind tunnel testx to be done. If the report is correct (and I accept it might not be) then everything is not sorted.

The question remains, how can they sell this project knowing that they were having problems with planning? They are certainly not warning potential customers. I enquired about this project at the Jomtien Office months ago and was told everything was approved and building would start in a couple of months. Obviously a blatant lie. How can you trust the integrity of these people?

Edited by CRUNCHER

One of the main concerns raised at the meeting was about water, or lack thereof. Environmental researcher Sitthichai Tantanasarit responded that the city’s water resources would be enough to handle the 700-800 m3 of water the Ocean 1 Tower would use per day, as only half of this amount, 400 m3 of water, would need to come from the city supply. The other 400 m3 of Ocean 1 Tower’s daily water needs would come from recycled sources.

Anyone know what the source is for the recycled water? Is there a water recycling system in or near Pattaya?

Below is an item from the latest Pattaya Mail. They have been selling this monstrosity for months. How can they if they have not got all the necessary permits?

Ocean 1 Tower gets preliminary green light

Passes localized referendum

Local citizenry voiced their worries about public utilities in the community after the Ocean 1 Tower is completed.

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

Despite concerns over utilities, safety and traffic, the 91-storey Ocean 1 Tower passed a localized referendum in Jomtien on October 1.

People living or working within a 1 kilometer radius of the project were invited to vote after voicing their concerns and listening to answers from project managers and local government officials. Approximately 400 people turned up for the hearing and subsequent referendum.

The hearing was also attended by representatives from the Office of Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning, city councilors, representatives from 27 communities, and tourism entrepreneurs.

One of the main concerns raised at the meeting was about water, or lack thereof. Environmental researcher Sitthichai Tantanasarit responded that the city's water resources would be enough to handle the 700-800 m3 of water the Ocean 1 Tower would use per day, as only half of this amount, 400 m3 of water, would need to come from the city supply. The other 400 m3 of Ocean 1 Tower's daily water needs would come from recycled sources.

Sitthichai went on to say that project is being planned to stay within the law regarding it being the correct distance from the sea, and providing management against disasters. Also, because of the proposed building's height, the project will require a wind tunnel test.

Chonburi Province officials have voiced concern about public utility problems, but Weera Sinto, GM of N.S. Consultant Co., Ltd., the advisor and designer of the environmental system for the construction project, said he will keep a close eye on progress to make sure all concerns are addressed properly, such as protection against fire, traffic, eradicating wastewater, public utilities, and scenery.

A committee also will be set up with Pattaya City to check the project and control construction. Ocean 1 Tower officials have agreed to support a budget of 7 million baht for Pattaya City to develop and solve problems in the community around the project area, and they will set aside a free commerce area of 50 m2 for the community.

Tawich Chaisawangwong, Pattaya City Council chairman, said that the Ocean 1 Tower project had been submitted to the Pattaya Council for discussion and approval. There had been some doubts about the effect on the environment and public utilities, but in his opinion, he believes this project will be good for the city's tourism image, and would create jobs and tax revenue for the local government.

After all the talk was over, most of the local villagers agreed to proceed, as they hope to receive benefits and increase their daily income after the project starts.

For the next step, project plans will be submitted to the Office of Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning for consideration this October, and is expected that plans will be approved soon.

Ocean 1 Tower will have 91 floors and be more than 305 meters high, with 611 rooms and a 2 story plaza. The project will take 4-5 years to complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very interesting topic. i hope for pattaya and for the investors that it wil be built soon but frankly speaking i am still sceptical.

They plan to recycle water within the building.

It's almost a year since they originally announced that the project would get underway. Looks like it could be a while till it actually starts; and given their somewhat optimistic planned finishing times on their other projects, expect it will take more than the 5 years they are currently estimating.

Meanwhile, those who have had to invest 80% of the purchase price of the units they have purchased will just have to wait to see the fruit of their substantial investment. Last time I asked, there are no penalties in their sales contracts for late completion.

They plan to recycle water within the building.

It's almost a year since they originally announced that the project would get underway. Looks like it could be a while till it actually starts; and given their somewhat optimistic planned finishing times on their other projects, expect it will take more than the 5 years they are currently estimating.

Meanwhile, those who have had to invest 80% of the purchase price of the units they have purchased will just have to wait to see the fruit of their substantial investment. Last time I asked, there are no penalties in their sales contracts for late completion.

i cannot imagine anybody already paid 80%. i my contract i would have had to pay 20% deposit. i think this was same with the others. but you are right as i remember there are no penalties for late competition mentioned.

My understanding was that investors would have to pay 80% in staged payments over a set period of time (a much shorter time period than that required for construction). This seemed an excessive proportion, especially in the absence of any penalties for late completion; leaving the majority of my investment earning interest for the developer with no incentive for them to complete. I thought their pricing was rather on the high side too. I believe they need 30% sales before the banks will support construction, I wonder if they have achieved that yet.

A look at Ocean 1 website shows that they have quietly removed the predicted starting of the project as August that was there a week or so ago. It now says that’ “Construction will officially start when test pile driving is complete.” Unfortunately there is no date, although in FAQ it does say the end of 2007. No mention whatsoever of other permits and tests (wind tunnel?) that seem to be needed.

The good news for investors, if you can believe anything these people say, is that completion is still scheduled for 2010 (or is it2011 as in FAQ). After all the delays in starting the project???

They cannot keep the website up to date and consistent. An insult to investors in an overpriced project such as this.

The website also says that it is – “Located approximately 200 meters from a serene stretch of Jomtien Beach…” “Approximately” could mean a bit more or a bit less. If more - no problem, but if less than 200 meters from the beach will they have problems with the height?

I am not a buyer – I walked out of the office laughing when I saw the prices and payment terms. I am, however, concerned at the way these people do business. It does nothing to enhance the already tarnished reputation of Pattaya developers. Also, can an outfit as unprofessional as this be trusted to build a construction like this and ensure that it is safe? I certainly do not think so.

• 1 year later...

For such a massive project , Does the developer and also builder have the correct expertise to complete such a massive project , from what i have read the developer has done nothing even close to such a project ,makes me wonder if they ever do sell it and start if they can actually complete it .

For such a massive project , Does the developer and also builder have the correct expertise to complete such a massive project , from what i have read the developer has done nothing even close to such a project ,makes me wonder if they ever do sell it and start if they can actually complete it .

This is Thailand. Doesn't matter if they can complete or not. They said they had a plan, some people put money in, the plan has somehow not come to fruition. They needed fancy cars because they were selling so much, I suppose. Hearsay has it that the project has stopped. Some investors will be told sometime that the project is going well. Some others will find out that it may not be going so well. Look back a few months and see the recurring problems with motor racing teams etc.

I wish it was going to be built. But in this economic and political climate I just don't see it happening. After all they have been selling units in it now for three years. The longest pre-construction sale I have ever seen. I am glad I did not buy. But I wish them luck.

Surely it would not be too difficult for the Thai authorities

to have an independant and government backed stakeholder to

hold money like this in trust for the purchaser until a project

has been completed ? By now buyers must realise with any

condo development they are risking every baht they hand over ?

If you go to Google Earth and measure the size of the plot seems very small, it is 142m x 102m.

I am not sure how much a large tower like that would need but maybe they will buy and demolish some of the surrounding buildings. Anyone know the footprint size of one of the WTC towers?

Surely it would not be too difficult for the Thai authorities

to have an independant and government backed stakeholder to

hold money like this in trust for the purchaser until a project

has been completed ? By now buyers must realise with any

condo development they are risking every baht they hand over ?

As if they cared. Looks like there is scope for a whole new forum on scams around Pattaya alone

I went into their sales office the other day, to see what tune they are signing right now. During the course of my conversation with the German sales rep, start date of construction changed from "end of November" to "certainly this year" to "perhaps at the end of January". That´s all within 15 minutes ....

At the time of my conversation, approx. 23% of surface had been sold according to the sales rep, of which 16% in foreign units, 7% in Thai units.

It looks like the sales team will use this "high season" to try and milk the market one last time ... I don´t see how they can keep credibility issues at bay for much longer.

Over a year ago when I started this thread I expressed surprise that they were stll marketing this project. That they continue to do so leave me speachless. There should be a police investigation into what they are up to. Then perhaps the truth will out.

Over a year ago when I started this thread I expressed surprise that they were stll marketing this project. That they continue to do so leave me speachless. There should be a police investigation into what they are up to. Then perhaps the truth will out.

There is probably no law against it yet. And if there was, who would act on it. The recent history of Pattaya and Jomtien is littered with property law suits, normally unsuccessful. Many hurdles to face, and the unscupulous developers depend on people eventually giving up and forgetting about it. Of course, there are also added threat to litigants.

I went into their sales office the other day, to see what tune they are signing right now. During the course of my conversation with the German sales rep, start date of construction changed from "end of November" to "certainly this year" to "perhaps at the end of January". That´s all within 15 minutes ....

At the time of my conversation, approx. 23% of surface had been sold according to the sales rep, of which 16% in foreign units, 7% in Thai units.

It looks like the sales team will use this "high season" to try and milk the market one last time ... I don´t see how they can keep credibility issues at bay for much longer.

As I understand it, there have been laws passed recently which allow purchasers of off-plan condos to have their deposits placed into escrow as a protection in case the project fails. I was just curious if you asked about whether they would do this. My guess is that they wouldn't do it and as of yet I haven't heard of anyone here on ThaiVisa who has indicated that they have their deposits in an escrow account.

Without starting the developer keeps the money ,soon as they starts they spend money ,so unless they can see a profit ,in other words a reason to start ,why spend the money, looks bad for the people who put down a deposit, one can ask was it a scam from day one, or was the intention there to build , who knows?

answer to the question concerning expertise !

the developer have qualification in germany 20 years ago like " hair dresser "

and coming in thailand with a few thousand bath in his pocket !

that's a very succesfull story ...............................;

answer to the question concerning expertise !

the developer have qualification in germany 20 years ago like " hair dresser "

and coming in thailand with a few thousand bath in his pocket !

that's a very succesfull story ...............................;

in that case then if he dont give deposits back they might be able to get quite a few cut and blow dry"s instead :D or a few rides in the porsche,bmw,bently or ferrari they bought him and his mia noi"s :o

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like the world financial situation will make it easier for not building it.

Lets face it the worlds on its ass............. unless u have a fat bank balance.

quite a few developers have been using the troubles in BKK for a variety of reasons, eg. late delivery etc. Didn't stop a single one from advertising their castles in the sky (or pie in the sky)

• 1 year later...

See for yourself . . .

Watch as cement is mixed live from Pattaya on Ocean 1's own webcam. Click the Webcam 2 link on the Ocean 1 Website

So the bottom line is they are still mixing cement for other projcects and not Ocean 1?

Looks like Ocean 1 has "sunk without trace ":lol:

It is now known as "Ocean 0" or "Ocean None".