Moving To Pattaya... Need Some Advice.

abghk

Hi Guys!After 10 years of traveling to Thailand, finally we have decided to move to Pattaya next March, 2008.Big change for us.

We went to Pattaya last month to look at few condo and think we found one condo that we like a lot, located about 20min's from Pattaya downtown.

Asking price is 14M bart and size is135SQ M, 3bed, 2bath and have great ocean view from living room and master bedroom.

Is it fair price for condo like this in Pattaya?

We just love the place but since we don't know anything about Pattaya housing market,,,

Any advice from you guys in Pattaya would be a big help.

And one last, we are thinking about taking few things with us, CDs,DVDs, books and HiFI, home theater and among others..What is the limit for the goods that we can bringing(by ship) into Thailand without paying tax? (we are both gonna get retirement visa)

:o Thanks guys! and Hope to see you soon in Pattaya.

Edited by abghk

condo that we like a lot, located about 20min's from Pattaya downtown.

Asking price is 14M bart and size is135SQ M, 3bed, 2bath and have great ocean view from living room and master bedroom.

impossible to answer/comment without knowing the exact location. 14mm Baht for 135m² seems quite expensive!

Won't comment on price of condo - but a few other points.

Do not ship electronics by sea. You'll just have to throw them away when they arrive, due to corrosion. Air cargo is quicker and not too expensive. Otheerwise sell in home country and buy new here - at least you know you'll be on the right voltage.

Both on retirement visas - keep your capital outside Thailand - just transfer in the required annual amount (I think 800k baht p.a. at the moment) plus any extra you need for living on. It is very difficult to take money out of Thailand if you do not have a good paper trail, so make sure that the overseas bank state on each transfer exactly what the money is for.

Your house-purchase money (sorry, condo) should be so identified. I do not know what the banks are doing about the 30% witholding at the moment, but if the money is clearly seen to be for property purchase you should avoid that.

Otherwise - welcome! And enjoy.

I would strongly recommend that you rent for 6 months before buying, see how you like it here in Pattaya it is totally different living here to visiting on holiday. If you rent first you can have a really good look around for condos or houses that suit you and also check out the prices, there is an awful lot for sale here at the moment and a bargain can be had for the shrewd buyer.

I would strongly recommend that you rent for 6 months before buying, see how you like it here in Pattaya it is totally different living here to visiting on holiday.

I concur and there is another thread in this forum about all the things to look out for when buying a condo.

I would strongly recommend that you rent for 6 months before buying, see how you like it here in Pattaya it is totally different living here to visiting on holiday. If you rent first you can have a really good look around for condos or houses that suit you and also check out the prices, there is an awful lot for sale here at the moment and a bargain can be had for the shrewd buyer.

I would agree with this comment. We have been here now for 2 years and at first we were considering buying but have changed our minds so now we rent. The other point I would make is renting is a very good way of finding out if you like an area.

Why buy and end up in an area you are unhappy with. Yes rent for 6 months if you are going to buy. And if you don't like the area you can rent elsewhere. Less hasstle that way!

You will need to open a local bank account but first need to get a letter from Immigration stating where you live take this to the bank of your choice and open the account.

I would suggest as another has that the bulk of your capital have offshore. Its easy then to move money into Thailand and into the account here.

To qualify for Retirement visa you will need 800,000 for example - a married couple. Having said that if you have the equivelent of 64,000 per month in pensions get a letter from the Embassy stating this and you won't need the 800,000 in the bank just the funds you want to live off.

begsaresponse

I would agree with this comment. We have been here now for 2 years and at first we were considering buying but have changed our minds so now we rent. The other point I would make is renting is a very good way of finding out if you like an area.

Why buy and end up in an area you are unhappy with. Yes rent for 6 months if you are going to buy. And if you don't like the area you can rent elsewhere. Less hasstle that way!

You will need to open a local bank account but first need to get a letter from Immigration stating where you live take this to the bank of your choice and open the account.

I would suggest as another has that the bulk of your capital have offshore. Its easy then to move money into Thailand and into the account here.

To qualify for Retirement visa you will need 800,000 for example - a married couple. Having said that if you have the equivelent of 64,000 per month in pensions get a letter from the Embassy stating this and you won't need the 800,000 in the bank just the funds you want to live off.

begsaresponse

Not required at some banks!!!!

Offshore bank or not why is it easer, please tell ?

Edited by plasticpig

begsaresponse

For me it was easier and is because the domestic bank we had in the UK would have charged us for all transactions. Plus our Offshore bank offers a level of support to its customsers that suits us.

Each individual must come to their own conclusions about what is best for them!

I was raising an issue that the OP may have to address....OK?

begs

begsaresponse

For me it was easier and is because the domestic bank we had in the UK would have charged us for all transactions. Plus our Offshore bank offers a level of support to its customsers that suits us.

Each individual must come to their own conclusions about what is best for them!

I was raising an issue that the OP may have to address....OK?

begs

Sorry still dont get it, you saying you got free money transfer, what bank was that ???

can you tell us all how much money you need in an offshore account to not get monthly charges? 2000, 3000, grand.? please tell.

I think you are not raising an issue, i think you were giving incomplete advice.

Just for you, Kasikornbank, no letter from im, just pasport and wher you stay in Thailand.

Hotel, house condo.

Thats real advice. :o

Edited by plasticpig

Hi Guys!After 10 years of traveling to Thailand, finally we have decided to move to Pattaya next March, 2008.Big change for us.

We went to Pattaya last month to look at few condo and think we found one condo that we like a lot, located about 20min's from Pattaya downtown.

Asking price is 14M bart and size is135SQ M, 3bed, 2bath and have great ocean view from living room and master bedroom.Is it fair price for condo like this in Pattaya?We just love the place but since we don't know anything about Pattaya housing market,,,

And one last, we are thinking about taking few things with us, CDs,DVDs, books and HiFI, home theater and among others..What is the limit for the goods that we can bringing(by ship) into Thailand without paying tax? (we are both gonna get retirement visa)

I did a random condo prices chart back in May 2007 from adverts in Pattaya Today. Prices psm ranged from 39,000 baht to 75,600 baht for 18 condos. Average price psm was 55,506 baht. But I don't remember if any of the condos were sea view, on the beach, high floor. You will pay more for that.

Best advice is to rent and take your time looking around. Also search this forum for advice on what to look at in a condo before buying. You could find that the condo is run by committee members who refuse to be transparent in financial matters, are out of the country for many months in each year, don't know the Condo Law and Condo Regulations, and the staff are poorly supervised and directed.

How much are the annual fees for this condo you have looked at and love?

Prices psm ranged from 39,000 baht to 75,600 baht for 18 condos. But I don't remember if any of the condos were sea view, on the beach, high floor.
Hi,

You find many condos at 100,000 bahts or more per sqm. By exemple NorthShore or even Markland, both "on" Beach Road, if you select a high floor appartment with sea view on Pattaya side... Crazy prices...

Pattaya46

Codominiums here in thailand are nothing but high rise apartments, and in my opinion hardly worth the money for what you get. I would also suggest to rent at least for six months to a year, and possibly not to buy at all. Depends where you are from, and what you are use too. This is a very noisy country compared to the western countries, and as others have said living here and visiting here for months at a time is completely different. In any case I hope you enjoy living in Pattaya.

Barry

Won't comment on price of condo - but a few other points.

Do not ship electronics by sea. You'll just have to throw them away when they arrive, due to corrosion. Air cargo is quicker and not too expensive. Otheerwise sell in home country and buy new here - at least you know you'll be on the right voltage.

Both on retirement visas - keep your capital outside Thailand - just transfer in the required annual amount (I think 800k baht p.a. at the moment) plus any extra you need for living on. It is very difficult to take money out of Thailand if you do not have a good paper trail, so make sure that the overseas bank state on each transfer exactly what the money is for.

Your house-purchase money (sorry, condo) should be so identified. I do not know what the banks are doing about the 30% witholding at the moment, but if the money is clearly seen to be for property purchase you should avoid that.

Otherwise - welcome! And enjoy.

Not true. As long as they're packed properly you'll have no problems. I shipped my PC, monitor,printer,scanner,etc plus other pieces of electronic equipment and my CD and DVD collection here over a year ago. All arrived safely and in working order and are still working today.

Also these days most electronic equipment is made here in the far east and then SHIPPED to the rest of the world.

This is a very noisy country compared to the western countries

It is very difficult to find peace and quite in Thailand. Just when you thought you found the perfect spot, it soon becomes plagued by noise.

and that goes especially for high rise condos. the concrete sceleton structure carries noise. if somebody drills a hole in the first floor to hang a picture it will bother you even when living in the penthouse 20 floors above and 10 units sideways.

This is a very noisy country compared to the western countries

It is very difficult to find peace and quite in Thailand. Just when you thought you found the perfect spot, it soon becomes plagued by noise.

and that goes especially for high rise condos. the concrete sceleton structure carries noise. if somebody drills a hole in the first floor to hang a picture it will bother you even when living in the penthouse 20 floors above and 10 units sideways.

Same applies when flushing the toilet. :o

Asking price is 14M bart :o and size is135SQ M, 3bed, 2bath and have great ocean view from living room and master bedroom.

We just love the place but since we don't know anything about Pattaya housing market,,,

:D Thanks guys! and Hope to see you soon in Pattaya.

If you need a garconniere, my 32sqm condo in View Talay is for sale at 1,400,000 baht, and it is just 5mins from Pattaya downtown.... :D

oh, but perhaps you prefer a quotation in bart....sorry but I think you will not buy much with those in Thailand :D

Best to rent for 6 months. You might buy your dream pad only to find out your neighbors suck or the condo rules drive you nuts.Or what if the association lets the place deteriorate & you have no recourse? Lots to consider!For 14 mill. you could be living the life of riley in Koh Samui. Don't get me wrong, I love Pattaya- but if you already have a significant other, why move to the short time or long time(boom boom) capital of Thailand.

Have you considered a house 14m. is a lot of deniro & would really buy much more Like an acre with a 3000-4000 sq. foot house with all the trimmings & you get to select your neighbors.Lots of people buy now & cry later cause they moved to quick. It is very cheap to relocate & it would give you more time to hang at where you want to move & check it out. Maybe move there for a term & see if you still want to be there.

And I would agree with the other posters 14 million sounds like they are fishing for rich farangs-Bet right now with this being a buyers market you could find comparable for 1/2 that. You might want to ask Quicksilver on his thoughts . He is really up on real estate & a very good man with a good heart.

Seriously rent before you buy. It is the only logical thing to do in an unlogical place like Pattaya.

I was there for 2&1/2 years & was going to buy & then cruised to Bang Sare 20 kilometers from Pattaya & fell in love with the area & bought here. The resale value is going up to the sky here while Pattaya has been in a downslide for almost 2 years. A lot of the posters would agree a house is sooooo much nicer & you can design everything down to the pool .It really beats the box thing.

there are some killer houses designed by creative people that have posted their plans on how they did it if interested. unless you need the convenience of having someone do everything for you! I don't think there are to many condos that can outdo DR. Naams pad!

Whatever you decide Welcome & the best to you & yours!

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

What is the limit for the goods that we can bringing(by ship) into Thailand without paying tax? (we are both gonna get retirement visa)

A retirement visa doesn't exempt you from customs duty. You can get an idea about rates for various things at the custom's website : http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp, but you should hire someone to clear your freight and deal with customs. It is not best done as a do-it-yourself activity. You will need to provide the clearing agent with an itemized list of the contents of your shipment with a nominal value for each item or group of items stated in US$ or Euros or whatever. Best to contact a clearing agent ahead of time indicating that you will want him to clear the shipment for you and he will offer advice. The agent I used cleared and delivered everything to me in Pattaya within days of its arrival. I have a fuzzy recollection of it working out to about B10,000 for Customs and B10,000 for services rendered by the agent & delivery people.

As far as banking charges for sending money to Thailand is concerned, there will be a branch of Bangkok Bank (and other major Thai banks) in many countries. There is one in New York, as an example. I instruct my US broker to make an electronic transfer to Bangkok Bank NY, using the same Bangkok Bank account number as the account I opened in Pattaya years ago whenever I feel the need to top up the account.

It is a domestic transfer of dollars from the broker's bank in Pennsylvania to Bangkok Bank in NY, not an international transfer. No charge from my broker. Within 24 hours the money has been deposited in my account, is available to me in Thailand, and it is indicated that the deposit was from a foreign source when I update my passbook. Bangkok Bank charges something minimal.

Best to rent for 6 months. You might buy your dream pad only to find out your neighbors suck or the condo rules drive you nuts.Or what if the association lets the place deteriorate & you have no recourse? Lots to consider!For 14 mill

i am looking at the 14 million and can't think of more than half a dozen buildings in Pattaya where the asking price per m² exceeds 100,000 Baht. the problem even in these posh buildings is that quite a number of units are sold as "raw shell" giving the buyer the opportunity to finalize construction to his taste and liking. that kind of final construction might be going on nearly infinitely when the building is older, units are sold and new buyers remodel what they have bought.

in my [not so] humble opinion i consider the price of 14mm for a mere 135m² totally outrageous. construction cost of my home was less than 20,000 Baht/m² and i think i can claim without bragging that it has all the bells and whistles one can ask for.

hello,

i read with interest that you were looking for a nice condo on the beach out of town, well as luck would have it, mine is for sale, and it just happens to be the penthouse (top floor) 179 square metres, 3 bed 3 bath, great fitted kitchen, teak on the floor of the lounge, diner and main bedroom, available with all great furniture, the only things i need to take are my paintings and my clothes, and all for just 12 million, i think a better deal than you have been offered, and in foriegn name now so no problem to transfer, so now you dont need to bring anything in , as it is all here included, if you would like to see fotos, just drop me a line

keep smiling

roger

I have to agree with Beardog. Bang Saray is, in my opinion, the up and coming area, Not really my favourite but I can understand why so many people are moving the 15km down the coast. We actually live in the last condo before Bang Saray - been here on and off for 6 years now and love it here. Lovely and quiet, lovely beaches and close enough to pop in to do your shopping. Definitely rent before you buy but I don'y agree with the suggestion to buy a house - very difficult to sell in today's climate and don't you just love the sound of barking dogs! For your interest, the price per sq m in our condo is @45000 baht. And of course I have one for rent!!!! Worth a try!! If it is La Royale you have bought, lovely condos, beautiful interior but no space at all. Our condo has it's own beach, lovely gardens, tennis etc etc. Just to let you know what you can get for your money. Good luck, hope your move is successful. Ignore the negative comments about Pattaya. I never go out to the bars - maybe t hat's the reason I am happy here! :o

I have to agree with Beardog. Bang Saray is, in my opinion, the up and coming area, Not really my favourite but I can understand why so many people are moving the 15km down the coast. We actually live in the last condo before Bang Saray - been here on and off for 6 years now and love it here. Lovely and quiet, lovely beaches and close enough to pop in to do your shopping. Definitely rent before you buy but I don'y agree with the suggestion to buy a house - very difficult to sell in today's climate and don't you just love the sound of barking dogs! For your interest, the price per sq m in our condo is @45000 baht. And of course I have one for rent!!!! Worth a try!! If it is La Royale you have bought, lovely condos, beautiful interior but no space at all. Our condo has it's own beach, lovely gardens, tennis etc etc. Just to let you know what you can get for your money. Good luck, hope your move is successful. Ignore the negative comments about Pattaya. I never go out to the bars - maybe t hat's the reason I am happy here! :o

If you ignore the negative comments then you have missed 50% of

the discussion.

Pattaya is the shit hole of Thailand, i lived there for 14 years and only did so because it took so long for my house to sell.

Driving around town is close to impossible, maniacs are all over the road.

Shootings, muggings is in abundance.

Pattaya is also the most expensive place to stay in Thailand.

Only a person without knowledge would spend 14m on any property there.

Leave the money where it is and rent, property very rarely appreciates in value

You cannot lose renting and you cannot win buying, and even if you could,

they might change the law.

Getting money back out of the country, is harder than finding an honest bar girl.

I know you will not take heed of this advise, and i wonder why i bother, but you sound genuine although naieve.

So think long and hard before throwing your money away on a property.

Look around the country and experience other parts of Thailand.

Its natural to fall in love with Pattaya when you visit as a tourist.

But to live there YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!

Everyone who lives there will tell you its great, they don't want to admit they made a mistake.

You will reflect on this post if you go ahead and buy.

Thaileader

Pattaya is the shit hole of Thailand, i lived there for 14 years and only did so because it took so long for my house to sell.

Driving around town is close to impossible, maniacs are all over the road.

Shootings, muggings is in abundance.

Pattaya is also the most expensive place to stay in Thailand.

Only a person without knowledge would spend 14m on any property there.

Leave the money where it is and rent, property very rarely appreciates in value

You cannot lose renting and you cannot win buying, and even if you could,

they might change the law.

Getting money back out of the country, is harder than finding an honest bar girl.

I know you will not take heed of this advise, and i wonder why i bother, but you sound genuine although naieve.

So think long and hard before throwing your money away on a property.

Look around the country and experience other parts of Thailand.

Its natural to fall in love with Pattaya when you visit as a tourist.

But to live there YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!

Everyone who lives there will tell you its great, they don't want to admit they made a mistake.

You will reflect on this post if you go ahead and buy.

Thaileader

To true, more sellers than buyers.

Oh god I can feel the estate agents and that kind, coming online already

Run away, run away.

.!!!!!!

Edited by plasticpig

As I said in my previous posting, I have lived in Thailand on and off for 10 years. After living in, and spending much time in many places; Khao Yai, Phuket, Chiang Mai, I decided to buy in Pattaya (Na Jomtien actually!). Your generalisation regarding people who like Pattaya is utter drivel! I really like living here. Nowhere is pefect and certainly not Pattaya with it's maniac drivers, crime etc. However, coming from the UK, at least I don't have to pay a fortune to buy property, am not forced indoors with the weather and can look out of my balcony window and have beautiful views of the sea. Just a few of the benefits. My children too, are extremely happy here with the outdoor lifestyle. Sure England can be a great place in summer (not this year though) but the winters I can live without. Sure there is high crime here but England is becoming more dangerous by the day. Regarding buying property here. Maybe I have been lucky, or shrewd, but I have made on every dealing I have made so far on my condos. Houses are a different kettle of fish, but I'm assuming you bought in an area where noone wanted to buy a used house. I assume that was down to your naivete. If you were stuck here for so long waiting for your house to sell why did you not reduce the price so that you could get away more quickly? I like living here probably because I do not drink, and subsequently do not get mugged or ripped off by bargirls. I never have hangovers so wake up each morning to appreciate the sunshine and lovely views. My days are full, spent swimming, cycling, playing tennis and spending valuable time with my two lovely young boys and my Thai wife. How did you used to spend your time? 'Nuff said!!!