Work Permit With A Thai Wife

I have an "O" marriage visa and my wife has a sole proprietorship in the Khorat area where we live.

For me to get a work permit are employees needed and if so how many if I work for my wife's business?

Note I understand that employees are normally needed but working for my wife the rules may be simpler?

Where do I go for the work permit?

You get your extension of stay for living with your Thai wife, and your wife does not need any Thai employees.

I don’t know the address of the government office where you apply for your work permit.

--

Maestro

You can not get a work permit to work with a sole proprietary owned company, you need to create a proper co. ltd (or get your wife to).

You can apply for the WP to the ministry of Labor, but it is a very cumbersome procedure so it is probably advisable to get a recommended lawyer to do it for you.

Phil, I am not so sure as you are.

You can not get a work permit to work with a sole proprietary owned company, you need to create a proper co. ltd (or get your wife to).

You can apply for the WP to the ministry of Labor, but it is a very cumbersome procedure so it is probably advisable to get a recommended lawyer to do it for you.

As I read the Department of Employment Regulations Governing the Criteria of Considering Permitting the Work of Foreigners 30 Sept 2004, it seems that if the thai sole proprietor (natural employer) meets one or more of the conditions under Article 6 or 7 then a work permit can be issued for a foreigner employed by such a company. See the following link for a translation of the regulations http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...rt=#entry536468

Hi Digitalchromakey,

I was traveling and did see the whole thread. It was quite helpful, thank you for the link. I will continue on tha thread.

As I did not understand:

Article 7. The criterion under paragraph one shall be reduced by one half in the case where the permit applicant alien has a Thai spouse in a lawfully registered marriage and in open cohabitation.

What is the paragraph in this case? With English legal documents I always read slowly and usually understand - but with a translation I wonder....

Thanks again and your name fascinates me - are you a timeclock software programmer?

When you posted on a similar subject last July, was the information given in the thread below of any help to you at the time?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t=#entry1403947

Hi Digitalchromakey,

I was traveling and did see the whole thread. It was quite helpful, thank you for the link. I will continue on that thread.

As I did not understand:

Article 7. The criterion under paragraph one shall be reduced by one half in the case where the permit applicant alien has a Thai spouse in a lawfully registered marriage and in open cohabitation.

What is the paragraph in this case? With English legal documents I always read slowly and usually understand - but with a translation I wonder....

Thanks again and your name fascinates me - are you a timeclock software programmer?

When you posted on a similar subject last July, was the information given in the thread below of any help to you at the time?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t=#entry1403947

Certainly, as you imply, something may well have got lost in the translation, e.g. Article 4 is translated as 'Clause 4'.

My guess is that the 'paragraph one' in Article 7 refers in full or in part to the prior Article 6. Based on Sunbelt's posts in the thread quoted above, it certainly seems to hold for Article 6(3) - number of Thai employees per foreigner.

Well that's what Sunbelt Asia explained to me very recently. By all means, try, then come back and let us know how it went :o

Phil, I am not so sure as you are.

As I read the Department of Employment Regulations Governing the Criteria of Considering Permitting the Work of Foreigners 30 Sept 2004, it seems that if the thai sole proprietor (natural employer) meets one or more of the conditions under Article 6 or 7 then a work permit can be issued for a foreigner employed by such a company. See the following link for a translation of the regulations http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...rt=#entry536468

More answers to this question than grains of sand.

People just want to know how they can stay here.

Married - do the 40k thing but what if you don't want to do that and are under 50 ? Sole prop, 2 employees, WP etc. ????

Not married - under 50, sole prop 4 employees and WP ?>??????

It means if you are married to a Thai, than your employer only needs to employ 2 Thais. If you are not married to a Thai, then the natural employer needs 4 Thai employees to hire a foreigner.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com.

You get your extension of stay for living with your Thai wife, and your wife does not need any Thai employees.

I don't know the address of the government office where you apply for your work permit.

--

Maestro

The Dept of Labor web site has a list of regional offices. There is also one-stop visa and work permit center in Bangkok.