Best / Preferred Tefl Courses In Pattaya

Hi All,

Well, after travelling extensively throughout the Kingdom for a number of years, including 3 months of this year in Samui and Pattaya, I have finally decided to make the move permanent. The house sale in the UK is going ahead quite smoothly, and will hopefully complete in 6 weeks or so.

I am hoping to move to Pattaya and teach English. I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject - mainly on the web, but am acutely aware that all TEFL course providers will no doubt claim to be the best, and in most cases claim to be the only recognised provider. Apologies if this subject has been done to death on this forum....... but, I am hoping to get views of the people who have either taken the courses in Pattaya, or know of people who have done so.

I don't want this thread to degenerate into a slanging match of opinions, but would really appreciate some first hand accounts - both good and bad, to help me with the decision making process.

Many Thanks

Peter

Hi All,

Well, after travelling extensively throughout the Kingdom for a number of years, including 3 months of this year in Samui and Pattaya, I have finally decided to make the move permanent. The house sale in the UK is going ahead quite smoothly, and will hopefully complete in 6 weeks or so.

I am hoping to move to Pattaya and teach English. I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject - mainly on the web, but am acutely aware that all TEFL course providers will no doubt claim to be the best, and in most cases claim to be the only recognised provider. Apologies if this subject has been done to death on this forum....... but, I am hoping to get views of the people who have either taken the courses in Pattaya, or know of people who have done so.

I don't want this thread to degenerate into a slanging match of opinions, but would really appreciate some first hand accounts - both good and bad, to help me with the decision making process.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter,

as a consultant of one of Pattaya's TEFL institutes I could PM you and drag you into our course/program, but I won't.

There are 4 institutes in Pattaya offering TESOL/TEFL Certificate/Diploma programs; they all train you to become a qualified TESOL/TEFL Teacher and the curicula are more or less comparable.

The major differences are the duration of the different TEFL courses and the course fees.

I suggest you to visit the different TEFL course providers and ask questions about: cost, duration, job guarantees, requirements, expected salaries.

Text and Talk: Soi Day and Night - opposite Day and Night Appartments

TEFL Intercontinental - Soi Neun Pleb Waan (at the market near the 2nd 7/11 on your right)

WorldWide TEFL - Soi Town in Town (near the Hotel parking of Town in town Hotel)

TESOL Inrernational - Soi Rungland (from South Pattaya approx. 200 mtr. on the right)

Of course, on your request I'll send you all info on our English Teacher Training Academy.

Hi All,

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter,

as a consultant of one of Pattaya's TEFL institutes I could PM you and drag you into our course/program, but I won't.

There are 4 institutes in Pattaya offering TESOL/TEFL Certificate/Diploma programs; they all train you to become a qualified TESOL/TEFL Teacher and the curicula are more or less comparable.

The major differences are the duration of the different TEFL courses and the course fees.

I suggest you to visit the different TEFL course providers and ask questions about: cost, duration, job guarantees, requirements, expected salaries.

Text and Talk: Soi Day and Night - opposite Day and Night Appartments

TEFL Intercontinental - Soi Neun Pleb Waan (at the market near the 2nd 7/11 on your right)

WorldWide TEFL - Soi Town in Town (near the Hotel parking of Town in town Hotel)

TESOL Inrernational - Soi Rungland (from South Pattaya approx. 200 mtr. on the right)

Of course, on your request I'll send you all info on our English Teacher Training Academy.

An honest description.

To OP

Indicates something about the writer. Find out who he represents and seriously consider his programme if I were you.

• 3 weeks later...
I would stay longer in England and do the CELTA, I've just done mine and will also be going to Pattaya soon to start my new life.

Regards.

I'm inclined to do the CELTA too as it has been touted as the best most widely accepted certificate. I'd prefer to do this rather than gamble on a TEFL course that left me under trained and wasn't accepted. However I've also been told having a CELTA doesn't do much to increase your salary in Thailand. Either way I don't mind paying more and working harder during my training if I can be assured I'll be best prepared for the job as feeling competent in your work is worth a lot.

If you plan to live in Pattaya and teach English you will have a decision to make. Do you want to teach adults at language centres and corporate work at companies in the industrial estates that surround Pattaya or do you wish to teach children?

I have done both and believe me thay are two completely different jobs requiring different skills and in the case of business English a completely different course syllabus. If it is your intention to teach children the Celta will not adequately prepare you for this and you may be better looking into the syllabuses provided by the course providers in Pattaya to see what they offer in the way of training to teach young learners. I'm Celta qualified and it is a course that is totally orientated to teaching adults (as it's full title indeed suggests Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults).

If you do want to teach adults however I would seriously consider doing the Celta either in England or Bangkok and I would also recommend that you get a copy of the excellent book Training for Dummies by Elaine Biech. Read it from cover to cover and as you go make a list of every single idea that you can take and use in the EFL classroom. This book is far wider ranging than the Celta course and provides an excellent grounding in the skills needed for corporate English teaching.

I've lived in Pattaya for almost seven years and now teach almost exclusively corporate English classes. PM me when you get here if you need help in finding employment or if you would like some lesson plans, materials and handouts to get you started. I turn down almost as much work as I accept - that's not to denegrade the work I turn down it's just that I can't be in two places at once. I would be quite happy to pass your contact details on once you are here and qualified.

I also know almost all the Corporate EFL hirers having worked for most language centers at least on a part time basis at one time or another so I can set you up with introductions and interviews if you need any help in that direction also.

Good luck.

Edited by Asiacat

If you plan to live in Pattaya and teach English you will have a decision to make. Do you want to teach adults at language centres and corporate work at companies in the industrial estates that surround Pattaya or do you wish to teach children?

I have done both and believe me thay are two completely different jobs requiring different skills and in the case of business English a completely different course syllabus. If it is your intention to teach children the Celta will not adequately prepare you for this and you may be better looking into the syllabuses provided by the course providers in Pattaya to see what they offer in the way of training to teach young learners. I'm Celta qualified and it is a course that is totally orientated to teaching adults (as it's full title indeed suggests Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults).

If you do want to teach adults however I would seriously consider doing the Celta either in England or Bangkok and I would also recommend that you get a copy of the excellent book Training for Dummies by Elaine Biech. Read it from cover to cover and as you go make a list of every single idea that you can take and use in the EFL classroom. This book is far wider ranging than the Celta course and provides an excellent grounding in the skills needed for corporate English teaching.

I've lived in Pattaya for almost seven years and now teach almost exclusively corporate English classes. PM me when you get here if you need help in finding employment or if you would like some lesson plans, materials and handouts to get you started. I turn down almost as much work as I accept - that's not to denegrade the work I turn down it's just that I can't be in two places at once. I would be quite happy to pass your contact details on once you are here and qualified.

I also know almost all the Corporate EFL hirers having worked for most language centers at least on a part time basis at one time or another so I can set you up with introductions and interviews if you need any help in that direction also.

Good luck.

Thanks for that Asiacat, indeed i am in the middle of sorting a CETLYL at the British Council in BKK.

Thanks again for the input.

Kind Regards