Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

tayto

I did a trip to Mae Sae today , the border was open but very very busy with people and cars LEAVING Myanmar. The process of leaving Thailand was easy , as was getting the Myanmar stamp , with the Myanmar Immigration staff as polite as usual .

I didnt venture into Tchilek for shopping this trip due to the amount of people about.

No problems seen.

Pretty quiet today. No special exodus from Myanmar. Got through Immigration in less than 3 minutes both directions.

I didn't make it today but hoping to head up and stay in Chiang Rai tomorrow (Fri) and do Visa run on Saturday. Just one question, never been at the weekend....is it open normally on weekends?

Saturday is like a normal day, never tried Sunday. Border closes for Farangs coming back to Thailand at 5.30pm I believe.

I didn't make it today but hoping to head up and stay in Chiang Rai tomorrow (Fri) and do Visa run on Saturday. Just one question, never been at the weekend....is it open normally on weekends?

Saturday is like a normal day, never tried Sunday. Border closes for Farangs coming back to Thailand at 5.30pm I believe.

the border crossing is open seven days a week, even on holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to the mae sai border today....took less than ten minutes to leave thailand, walk across bridge, check in / out with burma and back into thailand.......handed the burma guy a fresh USA $10 bill and he took it no problem..but he did laugh and say next time he wanted 500 baht....the sign in the window still says either 500 baht or 10 USD...obviously 10 bucks is about 300 baht so bargain to pay in USD instead of baht...BUT they only take nice new bills not old wrinkled or with any rips...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI Slim has a phone now. With his permission I'll put it here 0873056754. For those who don't know he's in Tacheliek and speaks perfect English (used to work for a Kiwi Company). A bit down on his luck, family and all, but can he help you on the the Burmese side of the border.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering.......is it still possible to stay in Tachilek ? I used to do border runs there a few years back. One time i stayed in Tachilek for 3 nights. Cheers.

Yes, you can stay in Tachilek overnight. There are several choices. On the high end there is Mekong Hotel, about 2 Km east (right) from bridge. Reasonable priced: there's one with internet, can't recall the name, but it's a 3 story white place, just down the hill from the big gold-colored stupa. My favorite is Erawon, low price and 2 blocks from bridge. Inside it's somewhat like a wood carving museum. If you're an early riser, you can peruse the lively outdoor market next door.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on the news that due to the earthquake, and the Burma Government's suspicion of news reporters and aid groups, that the Mae Sai/Tachilek border is closed. Is this true? If so, I hope someone will post here when it opens again.

I did an overnight in Tachilek last night. Bicycled several Km all around town. Didn't see any earthquake damage.

No problem getting through the border. Actually border workers seemed a tad bit friendlier than usual, maybe happy to see falang still going to and fro, or just happy a building didn't fall on them.

An American friend did a border run a month ago, and realized too late that he didn't have sufficient amount to meet the 500 baht requirement on the Burmese side. The officials there took pity on him, and let him slide with a lesser amount, and with a promise to pay them the balance - next time he came by.

Couldn't find by favorite pie shaped flat pastry (5 baht) at the 3 tea houses I checked. Don't know why. Now, if the Thais could figure out a way to make a decent pastry, I might visit Tachilek less often.

Bought a package of six identical seaweed snacks in Tachilek. Ate one, was tossing and turning all night, feeling yukky. Realized the next morning, the snack had a load of MSG in it. It's made in China, so that's expected, but I got blindsided. I took the remaining unopened 5 packages back to the store, and they let me trade it in on another item, no problem.

Earlier in the week, I was blindsided by MSG. That was from a small can of mixed nuts I bought at Big C in C.Rai. They were expensive, and the front label just said 'salted.' I only found out too late that, to them; 'salted' meant laced with MSG. Next day, after a fitful awful night of no sleep, I rinsed the nuts and put them out to dry in the sun. No problem after that.

For people who get mildly poisoned by MSG (and there are many others who suffer from the stuff), we'll have to be ever vigilant. It's not enough to simply read labels or tell chefs 'no MSG' or 'mai aow pom charot' in Thai. You've got to assume the vile stuff is being slipped in to all types of food/sauces/soups/snacks. How many restaurants voluntarily mention they use MSG? answer: NONE. How many restaurants in SE Asia ask a customer if they want MSG in their meal, or not? Answer: NONE.

I did an overnight in Tachilek last night. Bicycled several Km all around town. Didn't see any earthquake damage.

No problem getting through the border. Actually border workers seemed a tad bit friendlier than usual, maybe happy to see falang still going to and fro, or just happy a building didn't fall on them.

An American friend did a border run a month ago, and realized too late that he didn't have sufficient amount to meet the 500 baht requirement on the Burmese side. The officials there took pity on him, and let him slide with a lesser amount, and with a promise to pay them the balance - next time he came by.

Couldn't find by favorite pie shaped flat pastry (5 baht) at the 3 tea houses I checked. Don't know why. Now, if the Thais could figure out a way to make a decent pastry, I might visit Tachilek less often.

Bought a package of six identical seaweed snacks in Tachilek. Ate one, was tossing and turning all night, feeling yukky. Realized the next morning, the snack had a load of MSG in it. It's made in China, so that's expected, but I got blindsided. I took the remaining unopened 5 packages back to the store, and they let me trade it in on another item, no problem.

Earlier in the week, I was blindsided by MSG. That was from a small can of mixed nuts I bought at Big C in C.Rai. They were expensive, and the front label just said 'salted.' I only found out too late that, to them; 'salted' meant laced with MSG. Next day, after a fitful awful night of no sleep, I rinsed the nuts and put them out to dry in the sun. No problem after that.

For people who get mildly poisoned by MSG (and there are many others who suffer from the stuff), we'll have to be ever vigilant. It's not enough to simply read labels or tell chefs 'no MSG' or 'mai aow pom charot' in Thai. You've got to assume the vile stuff is being slipped in to all types of food/sauces/soups/snacks. How many restaurants voluntarily mention they use MSG? answer: NONE. How many restaurants in SE Asia ask a customer if they want MSG in their meal, or not? Answer: NONE.

Good to know it's open, thank you.

The first sentence answered the question. For that we thank you. But what does your 3 paragraph rant about MSG have to do with anything?

• 2 weeks later...

The first sentence answered the question. For that we thank you. But what does your 3 paragraph rant about MSG have to do with anything?

consider it a travel warning. This is a travel forum as much as anything else. If there were hazards (hidden or not) somewhere where you might be visiting, you might want to know beforehand. Or you you may not care about toxins in your food, ....your choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that one or two officials can be a bit nasty. One particular guy after stamping me a 2 week then decided I shouldnt have got it and told me I had too many, he got a bit sh1tty with me and told me the next time I wouldnt be allowed to enter. After that I went to Vte and got a 2 month. Once that had expired I went over at Mae Sai and had no problems. Im due to go again this week for no. 2 back to back so Ill let you know.

Thanks I'm due to go next week will post after..

I was refused a 4th tourist visa back in February in Khota Bharu but promptly given a single O "when i smiled and asked politely what would you do?"

Planning on going Cambodia to get a double later as it seems like the only place one can still get one fairly easily..

And yes I am a tourist stayed in 24 provinces in the last 11 months having ridden a Honda Wave as far South as Malacca and as Far North a CR . Have a residual income but not enough for retirement and I'm not yet 50 close though rolleyes.gif

Well, I made the mad dash at six this morning. Road nice and quiet. Pleasant smile from the stamping out lady. Very pleasant young chap (about 14 years old in jeans and trainers) in the Burmese office stamped me in and out whilst the uniforms were chatting over coffee. Back to Thai entry window and the usual thumbing back and forth of my pp only this time the guy seemed fixated by the full page Thai visa from the embassy in Vte. He kept going back to it and finally I saw him stamp something on it. He then stamped my pp page and departure card, handed me back my pp,smiled and said" Thank you,60 days "

I had used the 2 month visa back in January but immigration had never wacked it with a used stamp, it was valid for entry until May 22. I just dont get why this guy thought it was valid considering I just left Mae Sai 10 mins ago, spun on the other side and came back with a 2 month visa from Vte.

Mine is not to reason why.

RESULT!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody has any experience with Immigration in Chiang Kong at the Lao border?

In what way Cmjantje !?

for a Border run I suspect its no problem, except the Laos Visa is considerably more expensive than the Burmese one. Which I suspect is why most go to Mae Sai.

A handful of nationalities get a free visa in Laos though, I'm not sure exactly which ones, but I'm sure the Swiss are one

Anybody has any experience with Immigration in Chiang Kong at the Lao border?

In what way Cmjantje !?

for a Border run I suspect its no problem, except the Laos Visa is considerably more expensive than the Burmese one. Which I suspect is why most go to Mae Sai.

A handful of nationalities get a free visa in Laos though, I'm not sure exactly which ones, but I'm sure the Swiss are one

I mean for extensions, renewalls etc.

I need to transfer the visa in my new passport, extend my stay in Thailand (OA visa) and report for the 3 months.

The Immigration Office here in Chiang Khong was closed about a year ago. But, recently the office was renovated. And, now has started issuing re-entry permits, only.

I still have to go to Mae Sai to do any other visa functions.

The Immigration Office here in Chiang Khong was closed about a year ago. But, recently the office was renovated. And, now has started issuing re-entry permits, only.

I still have to go to Mae Sai to do any other visa functions.

:jap:

• 2 weeks later...

Are threats of border closures at Mae Sai a regular occurence ? In the recent past have border closures actually occurred there ? I hope to purchase a home in the region.

good luck with that...Did you buy one yet...?

That post is about 4 years old