Baggage Tampering On Bkk Ougoing Flights

zzSleepyJohn

This is the 3rd time I've arrived in UK from Thailand to find my baggage lock broken. The common factor has to be Bangkok. The first time they forced open and broke my big suitcase's lock, and took a valuable short-wave radio I'd packed. On the second occasion they took cutters and snipped my small case's metal tags that I'd put a padlock on, and now on this third occasion, they must have had heavier cutters because another small case arrived with the padlock I'd put on it completely missing.

All very petty and annoying, but hardly worth trying to make a claim on, and of course it doesn't feel very nice to know that prying hands have been rooting around inside your personal stuff.

If you put a heavier padlock on, they just break you case instead of the padlock.

I think I need a James Bond type suitcase that automatically releases poisonous gas if anyone tries to break in without the right key.

Anyone else experienced this problem or got a better solution?

+ SJ

Reporting it is a good idea. Writing a letter to your embassy couldn't hurt either.

I know neither of these will stop the problem, but both good ideas for an eventual solution.

Courier your valuables home. Spend the extra few thousand baht and rest easy.

South Africa is the leader in bagage theft, but looks like Thailand wants to compete for the top ten. Sad reality, reflective of a small but wide cross section of thier society.

This is the 3rd time I've arrived in UK from Thailand to find my baggage lock broken. The common factor has to be Bangkok. The first time they forced open and broke my big suitcase's lock, and took a valuable short-wave radio I'd packed. On the second occasion they took cutters and snipped my small case's metal tags that I'd put a padlock on, and now on this third occasion, they must have had heavier cutters because another small case arrived with the padlock I'd put on it completely missing.

All very petty and annoying, but hardly worth trying to make a claim on, and of course it doesn't feel very nice to know that prying hands have been rooting around inside your personal stuff.

If you put a heavier padlock on, they just break you case instead of the padlock.

I think I need a James Bond type suitcase that automatically releases poisonous gas if anyone tries to break in without the right key.

+ SJ

I always think that a lock on a case acts like a bullseye target. I've travelled plenty and never put locks on my bags and have never had a problem.

As for the radio you have only yourself to blame really - why didn't you include it as part of your hand luggage and negate the risk? After all you mentioned you had problems before. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's true.

Hopefully next time you won't have any problems. Good luck

+ SJ

I always think that a lock on a case acts like a bullseye target. I've travelled plenty and never put locks on my bags and have never had a problem.

As for the radio you have only yourself to blame really - why didn't you include it as part of your hand luggage and negate the risk? After all you mentioned you had problems before. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's true.

Hopefully next time you won't have any problems. Good luck

I think you are asking for trouble not putting locks on your bags.At least when the locks are broken you can prove that someone has been tampering with your bags and could become an issue if someone has added illegal substances.

Edited by ercorn

Actually putting a big lock on the bag is asking for trouble. Airlines don't recommend locking the baggage with special locks, because security personel has a right to open it at the airport. If your lock is forced open, you can't claim any compensation from the airline.

I have travelled several times to Thailand and never had anything stolen, even thought I packed valuable things sometimes in my luggage. I used just a standard built-in lock.

Edited by zink

I think you are asking for trouble not putting locks on your bags.At least when the locks are broken you can prove that someone has been tampering with your bags and could become an issue if someone has added illegal substances.

How does that work? I thought the only available response was then to check the contents yourself or possibly just to abandon them in their entirety.

I went through a lock-phase and through a no-lock phase. Neither worked. My solution was borne by chance: One day I forgot to put the lock on my suitcase, but was in a hurry to go to the airport. So I improvised. This solution has never failed, surprisingly. What it is: put some scotch tape through the zipper ends, where the lock is supposed to be. Then wind it round a few times. It takes some time to remove, but up to now nothing has ever happened to luggage 'secured' in this way.

This is the 3rd time I've arrived in UK from Thailand to find my baggage lock broken. The common factor has to be Bangkok.

Did you arrive at the same UK airport? Was it a direct flight? Were the transfers, if any, at the same airport?

This is the 3rd time I've arrived in UK from Thailand to find my baggage lock broken. The common factor has to be Bangkok.

Did you arrive at the same UK airport? Was it a direct flight? Were the transfers, if any, at the same airport?

No, on the first occasion I started in Phuket, and changed in Bangkok for a direct flight to Heathow.

On the other two occasions I started in Bangkok and changed in the Gulf for Manchester.

But before I came to LOS I travelled all over the world with all kinds of luggage and although I had the usual problems of luggage occasionally being misrouted and sometimes accidentally damaged, I never experienced deliberately broken locks.

So although it's not 100% proven, unfortunately to my mind, Bangkok has to be the prime suspect.

I went through a lock-phase and through a no-lock phase. Neither worked. My solution was borne by chance: One day I forgot to put the lock on my suitcase, but was in a hurry to go to the airport. So I improvised. This solution has never failed, surprisingly. What it is: put some scotch tape through the zipper ends, where the lock is supposed to be. Then wind it round a few times. It takes some time to remove, but up to now nothing has ever happened to luggage 'secured' in this way.

I like this simple solution, but can you explain it in a bit more detail? I mean assuming the perpetrators are armed with a pair of metal cutters, what would prevent them just slicing through your tape instead of a lock?

After my big case's built-in lock was broken, for a few subsequent journeys I took to binding all round the case with several turns of electrical wire, knotted in such a way that either several cuts would have to made or several awkward knots undone. It took me ages to tie it up and undo it myself, and the unsightly result made sure I had no trouble recognising which was my case on the receiving caroussels, but I daresay the psychological effect of this 'poor man's solution' gave any intending perpetrators the impression that there wouldn't be much of value inside :o

A flashy brand-new suitcase might give the opposite impression, so I'm thinking it might be better to stick with battered old luggage and taped-up locks like sutnyod suggests.

+ SJ

+ SJ

:o I know that this is no solution, but of course, unless you have to never put anthing of real value (to you) in your checked in baggage. It's c##p, but that's how it is today.

Let me tell everyone here however about what has happened to me before. I fly from a small local airport to Athens, and then on to BKK regularly. That means about a 10 hour layover in Athens. I have been told before that I should not lock my suitcase when I check it in at this local airport (especially if the bag is checked direct thru to BKK). Apparently if the security situation is shakey (I mean if the security at the airport in Athens is being more than normally cautious), when a bag arrives into the secure baggage storage area, the airport security may decide to open it for inspection (even if it has been cleared at the local airport). If they do decide to open it, the security will cut open any locks on the baggage for inspection. They are then supposed to attempt to reseal it, and notify you it was opened by security for a security check.

I had my bag opened one time in Athens....during the buildup to the Athens Olympics....and they cut the padlock off my bag that time.

:D

There is a tool that can open the zipper on a suitcase at any point and then reclose it. This leaves the lock intact and you none the wiser.

I never lock my bags and carry all valuables in my hand luggage. It's not always convienient but it does not get stolen.

Locks on suitcases are like alarm boxes outside houses, they both scream, "hey i've got something inside worth nicking".