Thai Marrige Rules

benlee53

I got marries in a thai temple no paper signed just money given to mother.Now after 9 days she tell me i stupid to marry her she has money now and laugh me . :o I have 2 houses can she come get them and stay or sell them?Neither are in her name just me and land owner at land office.?Is THIS A BINDING MARRIGE DOES SHE HAVE ANY RIGHTS AT ALL?????????

You are not married here but from your other posts you may still be married if divorce not final from US. You fail to say how you own houses as a foreigner - your plan was to lease them so if she holds title and gets angry I would not want to be in your position (but you say she does not own them so not sure what you have). I would not want to live in Thailand with an angry ex around. :o

if you married at a temple then it was a blessing, not a legal marriage, unless you've got a certificate then don't worry.

That is my understanding too.

Legal marriage is done at the Amphur office!!

However, I would have a few heavy set friends to stay, in case she does try to get nasty. Keep the land deeds in safe place as well.

Another calf off to the slaughterhouse

Aye. Can't understand why everybody seems so eager to get married in the first place. I thought the trend was not to get married except maybe for same-sex couples.

Without marriage you can still take care and give your money away, if that's what you want.

• 9 months later...
With just a blessing you should be ok!

How much monet did you give maire..if you don't

mind me asking?? :D

100K :D

Talk about slow. 9 months later a reply :o

Since we are now 9 months down the line and the OP has stuck his head above the wall, how about an update, what has happened??

Don't understand why, unlike most people, Khun Ben's diction changes in past posts from Californian to Cali-phony-one. Perhaps he is scytzophrenic and that is why his girlfriend left him. :o Or he is so upset he has taken on the persona of his ex. :D Any comments Ben? :D

Exactly - and in my case we just went to the police directly and never bothered with any temple. And had our own ceremony afterwards.

In Thailand they have a true separation of church and state (regarding marriges..) - something other countries could learn a thing or two from.

They do in other places and it's called a "Civil Ceremony", performed by a "Marriage Celebrant"

You miss the point - in an marrige in a church in most Euro-countries it's still a legally registered marrige. I.e. the church's registration goes straigtly into the goverments papers (and this, as we all know, affects taxing and so on).

It's not a separation of church and state, it's allowing some to marry outside the church if wanted. Not the same thing.

I did get your point, although moot, but was simply clarifying that marriage in other places is not the sole domain of the church, separation has occurred.

Ok, I see. Might be language-barrier, but my original post was aiming towards the fact that I think state should be the sole 'provider' of govermental-affairs (as legal marrige) and the church can handle the religion - and bounds under God. Then it would truly be a separation between the two. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Oh, and sorry for going off-topic. =)

On-topic: Marrige for 9 days and want out - maybe OP should have made some more trips to visit his woman before marrying her...? :|