International School Salary......

Crimson

Some of the international schools will actually publish their salary scales on-line. I know that Ruam Rudee International School does so. I don't know the website address, but if you google "Ruam Rudee International School", it will surely turn up. It is not at the very top end of international schools in Bangkok, but they are well established, have been here for years and years, and recruit from overseas.

I have a master's degree in teaching with a teaching cert from the US. I am also a local hire, which means I make a lower salary, don't get many of the perks of overseas hires, and so on. I have worked at some crap schools that paid around 60 K per month. THis was four years ago, so perhaps the salaries have increased. I now take home 108,000 baht per month. I supplement my income by some private tuition, which pays 1,200 baht per hour. I am able to take home usually about 140,000 per month, and can easily save 50 - 60 K per month. If I were living back in the US, working as a full time teacher, it would be impossible to save this kind of money. I find my life very comfortable here on the salary I make, and I'm able to save plenty of cash for old age.

Regarding the salaries at the top schools, obviously they make much more. They also earn that money. Teachers at schools such as ISB jump through flaming hoops, have endless meetings, and so on. I could get hired at a bigger school and make more, I am quite sure. But I prefer the relative low stress where I currently teach. I'm on my fourth year there, and there is still a smile on my face, so I am very, very content.

Good luck with your move to Thailand.....

AlexD

Salary in many international schools is based on that back home. With the overvaluation of the pound sterling that is neat for Brits.

Apart from the top three or four international schools salaries will be a fair bit lower. For a start up the salary seems reasonable.

Let me reiterate the gratitude that I have!!! I think this site is truly wonderful for the diversity in feedback that I am able to receive!!! I'm so thankful that my topic posting is still receiving responses!! You are all fabulous :o

In true teacher style, I would plaster all of you with gold stars :D