Buying A New Camera

sprog1

I would like to buy a new camera, but there are so many to choose from. I make built in kitchens & bedrooms, so i would like to take pictures after we have fitted them. so it would have to take a wide angle photograph, but i would also like to use it for holliday snaps, any sugestions? I have a price range of around 20,000 to 30,000 baht in mind & the camera's i've been looking at are the Canon EOS400D, Canon EOS350D, NikonD40X, OlympusE-410 & the LumixFZ50. Can anyone help me please :o

Also consider The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Digital Camera captures high resolution images at up to 8.1 Megapixels, includes a superb quality Carl Zeiss 15X optical zoom lens and is powered by the Bionz processing engine, first used in Sony's Alpha digital SLR camera system, to speed up response times and delivers fast image processing speeds. The DSC-H9 is also equipped with Super SteadyShot optical image stabilization to help minimize blur caused by camera shake, an important feature when shooting at slow shutter speeds at full zoom. Plus the high sensitivity of the camera (up to ISO3200) further helps to reduce blur resulting from fast-moving subjects and will also help preserve the mood of your pictures by capturing well-exposed, natural-looking photos, even in challenging low-light conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned Canon SLR's for over 20 yrs and have been very happy with all of them. I recently got a D350 and would recommend Canon. I'm sure the 400 is as good if it has features you need. I know the Nikon freaks who swear by them also. I don't think there is alot of difference, but I like my Canons. I have read more positive reviews on the Canons with just a point or two difference going to them. I would shy away from other makes as they don't have the track record Canon and Nikon do. But that's just me.

Also, if you have any Canon lenses from film SLR's, you can get an adapter to use them on the DSLRs. Saves alot of cash there....

IME Lenses for Film EOS will still work with the new digitals.

For any other Canon lenses forget it

unless you have a very specific task in mind and do not

need auto focus, aperture selection etc................

• 1 month later...

Hi ,I would like to thank all those who wrote with advice on buying a new camera. I have decided on the Canon 400d. It came down in the end to that & the Nikon. I don't think there"s much to chose between them, they are both good makes. I will probally get some stick from the Nikon owners, but again, many thank to everyone

One problem to keep in mind when mating lenses to most digital cameras is the focal length multiplier effect. An explanation can be found here: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=focal+length+multiplier. This is a real disadvantage on the wide angle side. Besides the limited format currently offered in digital at reasonable prices the multiplier effect is one reason I still shoot film as well as digital. For wide angle shooting you might consider a film camera with a decent wide angle lens. If you don't mind having one shipped you can find them at good prices on Ebay. Personally I use a Minolta 700si with a 28mm Minolta wide angle for some shots. You can scan or have the negatives scanned to digital if you want to present your products online.

I take a lot of indoor pics, and I can tell you from experience that you need three things get the most out of each situation:

1. A very wide angle lens. *Very* wide. Something like the 10-22 for the Canon 400D, or 16mm for non-cropped. You normally can't find this wide in point and shoots.

2. Wide dynamic range/High ISO with low noise. No P&S cameras can do this, but it's normal for DSLRs.

3. An external flash. Most P&S's won't accept one.

Forget the kit lens that comes with the 400D. Buy just the body (unless you get the IS version of the kit lens) and a good wide angle lens. To get the most out of a DSLR, you need a good lens.