Notebook Internal Hard Drive

merijn

Can anybody tell me if i can buy the Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 ( 200 GB 7200 RPM ) or the Samsung 250 GB 5400 RPM in Bangkok.

I'm planning to go to Phanthip but i don't know if i can buy them there.

Hopefully somebody can tell me if i can buy them there or somewhere else.

Can anybody tell me if i can buy the Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 ( 200 GB 7200 RPM ) or the Samsung 250 GB 5400 RPM in Bangkok.

They have the Hitachi 200 in Pantip on the 4. floor but expensive and the WD 250- is also available but more that 10 Grand!

As I've said many times, if it's not imported in volume, then it's going to be expensive (relative to the US). Things like 7200rpm high-capacity 2.5" drives fall into this category. Actually, until just recently, it was hard to find 7200rpm 2.5" drives here. The most common drives are the 5400rpm 80-160gb variety, and these will be cheap. Also, for harddisks in general, the smallest and largest capacity drives will be the most expensive (on a per-gigabyte basis), with the middling capacity drives (which sell the most) the cheapest.

Another thing: For rare items like this, it's best to get the EXACT DETAILS of the shop where it's sold at before attempting to come and find it. I've lost count of the number of times people have said "it's on the 3rd floor" or "it's sold at pantip" only to go there and spend half the day looking for the product AND NEVER FINDING IT. To the person who knows where something is, details are unecessary, but to the poor soul who tries to find the thing by using a vague description, it's pure hel_l.

• 1 month later...

BTW the WD250GB 5400 drive is now about BHT 6000, saw it in a shop. But the 320GB version should be coming out shortly and it's not much more...

My lovely fast 7K200 died on me... so I guess it's not exactly a recommendation anymore :o

They have the Hitachi 200 in Pantip on the 4. floor but expensive and the WD 250- is also available but more that 10 Grand!

Do you have a name, a website, or a phone number for this shop? I am in the northern hinterland + we don't have HDs like these in Chiang Mai... :o

Do you have a name, a website, or a phone number for this shop? I am in the northern hinterland + we don't have HDs like these in Chiang Mai... :o

You should check with Hardware House International because they are WD dealers.

But keep in mind the 2.5" HDD's above 160 GB all SATA!

I don't recommend the 7200 rpm HDD because they very sensitive and easy broken!

If you interested I can send you the HDD by EMS to Chiang Mai, please PM me.

I know that they exist but not until last week because 1 week ago I was just searching for that in Bangkoks Shops with the result: NOT available in Thailand at that moment!

Anyway that are ATA6 drives from WD which running as ATA 100.

You should check with Hardware House International because they are WD dealers.=

I think that's where I checked, that would explain why they had every WD HD available, but hardly anything from other brands.

When you say the 7200 RPM ones are sensitive and easily broken - how do you know this? Did you have a few break? Is there a test somewhere? I googled around but could not find forums or discussions where multiple people would complain about them breaking.

On Newegg.com, there are 2 out of 70 reviews reporting a drive failure, one of them mine.

Will pm you.

Internal info from WD Thailand.

One of my customers is distributor of Bearings to WD in Bang Pa In and he told that internal info speaking from 40% Fail within the 1. year and that's a bit to much. An other former Classmate of mine, he's in the computer business in Germany, told similar.

My oown experiences with WD same bad!

One of my customers is distributor of Bearings to WD in Bang Pa In and he told that internal info speaking from 40% Fail within the 1. year and that's a bit to much. An other former Classmate of mine, he's in the computer business in Germany, told similar.

Ok that's interesting so I am afraid I need more clarification:

First, I don't think WD sells any 2.5" hard disks that spin at 7200 RPM.

Second are you saying that 40% of WD drives fail in the 1st year, or 40% of the 7200 RPM laptop drives (which WD does not make) fail in the first hear? If the latter might that be the reason WD doesn't offer them?

Ok that's interesting so I am afraid I need more clarification:

First, I don't think WD sells any 2.5" hard disks that spin at 7200 RPM.

Second are you saying that 40% of WD drives fail in the 1st year, or 40% of the 7200 RPM laptop drives (which WD does not make) fail in the first hear? If the latter might that be the reason WD doesn't offer them?

About that drive. WD makes thems but all produces in Thailand are under BOI Law and exported and I don't know which they re-import and which not!

I'll ask my customer tomorrow about Hitachi because that Company produce the Drives at Industrial Park 304 in Prachin Buri and they are a customer of my Customer as well. May he know something about that drives.

I'll let you know! But as my Classmate told me, the 7200 rpm drives very fast but very sensitive and he don't recommend for Laptops which are used on the fly!

Internal info from WD Thailand...One of my customers is distributor of Bearings to WD in Bang Pa In and he told that internal info speaking from 40% Fail within the 1. year...An other former Classmate of mine, he's in the computer business in Germany, told similar...My oown experiences with WD same bad!

Reimar your are not making any sense again. WD does not make 7200RPM laptop drives so please explain how 3 sources including yourself have bad experiences with them. And it seems doubtful you can substantiate the claim that statistically 40% of these non-existent drives fail in the first year. We are talking about laptop drives right? You did read the title of the thread before posting right?

Looking at a manufacturer that does produce such laptop drives, Seagate publishes identical reliability statistics for its current generation 7200RPM & 5400RPM laptop drives.

Internal info from WD Thailand...One of my customers is distributor of Bearings to WD in Bang Pa In and he told that internal info speaking from 40% Fail within the 1. year...An other former Classmate of mine, he's in the computer business in Germany, told similar...My oown experiences with WD same bad!

Reimar your are not making any sense again. WD does not make 7200RPM laptop drives so please explain how 3 sources including yourself have bad experiences with them. And it seems doubtful you can substantiate the claim that statistically 40% of these non-existent drives fail in the first year. We are talking about laptop drives right? You did read the title of the thread before posting right?

Looking at a manufacturer that does produce such laptop drives, Seagate publishes identical reliability statistics for its current generation 7200RPM & 5400RPM laptop drives.

Apologize the info from my Customer are correct but the drives still in testing and because of high failure rate the want launch tah drive palette. As my customer told me, they even on develorment of an 2.5" 10,000 rmp drive.

The results from Hitachi much better: below 3% failure in the first year for the in Thailand produces models.

By the way, Hitachi was the first to produce 2.5" 7,200 rpm HDD in 2003! other model from Fujitsu, Seagate, Samsung.

Fujitsu has even a 2.5" HDD with SATA2 and 3 GB/s.