Small Hedge Fund Looking To Move Analyst To Bangkok Seeks Advice

The hedge fund I work for is looking to move one of its analysts to Bangkok to cover the asian markets from a spot "on the ground." So 1 employee would be based in Bangkok and would take monthly trips around the region, mostly to china/India/other SE asian countries. The employee would need a small office space and would live in Bangkok, but would keep his/her US residence and address and would get paid directly to a US bank account. Our firm invests directly in the stock of Thai companies, among other emerging markets. But the analyst in question would just be doing research and would not conduct any stock transactions in the country themselves. This situation would likely be for a two year period after-which another employee would rotate in. What are the requirements in terms of visa/work-permit/taxes in a case such as this? The simplist and least expensive route is what we are looking for. Is it possible to lease office-space and have someone on a tourist visa use that as sort of a remote office? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

oh brother...yeah...this post is from a hedge fund seeking advice :o i sure wouldn't want to have any funds in a fund that had to seek business advice on a public web forum. why not contact a business lawyer in bangkok for answers to your questions...there are englit speaking ones in bangkok you know!!!

oh brother...yeah...this post is from a hedge fund seeking advice :o i sure wouldn't want to have any funds in a fund that had to seek business advice on a public web forum. why not contact a business lawyer in bangkok for answers to your questions...there are englit speaking ones in bangkok you know!!!

you are an idiot. thanks so much for the assistance.

for the people who are serious on this site and don't waste their time criticizing legitimate posts - I'm just seeking preliminary information to so i can go to my boss with a general idea of the requirements, basically i'm just trying to convince him that we need someone (me) on the ground in asia. thailand is centrally located between india and china, and costs of opening a small office appear to be quite low. clearly if we decide to explore it further more due dilligence would be required. For now I'm just looking for a broad picture and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

you are an idiot.

Post #2 and already insulting people as well as changing your story. Not an auspicious beginning!

The second story makes a lot more sense though.

As for hedge funds seeking advice on the internet forums - I can believe it. Good luck with that!

Post #2 and already insulting people as well as changing your story. Not an auspicious beginning!

The second story makes a lot more sense though.

As for hedge funds seeking advice on the internet forums - I can believe it. Good luck with that!

I'm sorry if I was insulting to JonnieB, i just didn't appreciate him dismissing a legitimate for information because of the source. I did not 'change the story' either, I simply provided more information to respond to the concerns expressed by JonnieB. it seems that people on this forum are not inclined to provide assistance to certain people based on their opinion of the merits of their occupation. That's fine, please just ignore my post rather than responding with uninformed negative comments. thanks.

You should really post this in the visas section. This section is for discussion about businesses and investment in general. To be honest, from my basic understanding of thai visa issues, what you want to do will be quite difficult. You would be better advised to have your analyst based in Hong Kong or Singapore.