Plaa Pow In Chiang Mai

FarangNoi21

I like the guys out on Hang Dong across from the end of the Airport field. Their sign in Thai says, "If you don't stop and try, you'll never know." That's ballsy advertising for a Thai. Their stuff is good, so is the somtam gai yaang right next to them.

More Pla Pao across from Chiang Mai gate if you take the road that runs by Ruam Phet Hospital. Just go straight for about 4 blocks, and you'll hit 2. Take the 2nd major left, and you hit or two more.

Out on the Super Hwy/ Mahidol there's a restaurant famous for it - "Pla Pao Pak Sot" 'Grilled Fish, Fresh Vegetables' is the name. They have a big white sign of a Tabtim fish up and you can see them grilling on huge oil drum bbq's from the street. They're next to some well known school.... forget the name though. They're past the Nong Hoy intersection as you head towards Big C / San Kampaeng - only trouble is, you have to take a u-turn down by the railroad tracks to get back around to it - it's on the side heading back towards Airport Plaza / South side of Mahidol.

If you go there, get the Enoki mushrooms in oyster sauce too - theirs is soooo good! 'Het Kem Tong Pat Naam Man Hoy.'

I'm a big fan too!

Also at Huay Tueng Thao lake.

And Huean Huay Kaew is nice, too.

The road out to San Kamphaeng has several stalls on the side of the road selling it in the evening.

What style do you prefer, grilled in salt, or wrapped in banana leaves with herbs and stuff?

I like the fish with a couple of sticks of lemongrass, some galangal, and garlic stuffed down its throat and then covered in salt and grilled. I prefer salt water fish to fresh and by adding the salt to a fresh water fish it tastes less muddy to me.

My girl friend however absolutely loves steamed Tab Tim with lemon sauce. In San Kamphaeng we have a little restaurant that does a good version of it and everytime we go there it has to be the centre piece fo the meal.

CB

Also at Huay Tueng Thao lake.

And Huean Huay Kaew is nice, too.

The road out to San Kamphaeng has several stalls on the side of the road selling it in the evening.

What style do you prefer, grilled in salt, or wrapped in banana leaves with herbs and stuff?

I like the fish with a couple of sticks of lemongrass, some galangal, and garlic stuffed down its throat and then covered in salt and grilled. I prefer salt water fish to fresh and by adding the salt to a fresh water fish it tastes less muddy to me.

My girl friend however absolutely loves steamed Tab Tim with lemon sauce. In San Kamphaeng we have a little restaurant that does a good version of it and everytime we go there it has to be the centre piece fo the meal.

CB

we buy there on ocassion and have never been disappointed, cheap as chips :o