Consequences Of Not Reporting Every 90 Days ?

I'm currently working (with work permit) in Thailand, and have been for many years.

In January I will have to renew my work permit, but my passport expires a few months later, so I want to get a new passport before then.

I haven't been doing the 90-day reporting, the last time I left Thailand was Songkran last yeat (2006).

Should I "fess up" now and pay the fine (2000 Baht ?) before I get a new passport ?

Does immigration put any kind of stamp in your passport if you go over the 90-days ?

What's the best course of action to avoid any problems later when renewing work permit ?

At least half of the long term expats I know have NEVER done any 90 day reporting and not one has ever had a problem.

I didn't do it for nearly 14 years because no one else I knew was doing it and it wasn't being enforced during that period. However it caught up to me on my last visa extension a few months ago and cost me 2000.00 baht. The fact they haven't had a problem doesn't mean they will not, as I found out. And yes, they did put a stamp in my passport. Best to get it in order.

At least half of the long term expats I know have NEVER done any 90 day reporting and not one has ever had a problem.

I didn't do it for nearly 14 years because no one else I knew was doing it and it wasn't being enforced during that period. However it caught up to me on my last visa extension a few months ago and cost me 2000.00 baht. The fact they haven't had a problem doesn't mean they will not, as I found out. And yes, they did put a stamp in my passport. Best to get it in order.

Yes, I guess the safe thing to do would be to pay the fine before I get a new passport, then I wouldn't have any stamp in the new passport.

This has to be one of the stupidist laws in Thailand - it just creates unnecessary paperwork and enforcing it now certainly makes farangs feel they're being harassed. I've lived in other countries where you had to register your address with the police, but only had to do it again if you moved.

I'm currently working (with work permit) in Thailand, and have been for many years.

In January I will have to renew my work permit, but my passport expires a few months later, so I want to get a new passport before then.

I haven't been doing the 90-day reporting, the last time I left Thailand was Songkran last yeat (2006).

Should I "fess up" now and pay the fine (2000 Baht ?) before I get a new passport ?

Does immigration put any kind of stamp in your passport if you go over the 90-days ?

What's the best course of action to avoid any problems later when renewing work permit ?

Many expats ignore the 90 day rule and when leaving the country there is no requirement by immigration division to see the registration receipt. However if you have not registered and get apprehended for any reason by the boys in brown (pee in the cup and where's your passport?) you could very well get nailed for overstay and thrown in jail if you can't show the 90 day registration receipt. So to all the folks not registered " You are walking on Eggshells" I do mine by mail to Suan Phlu.

I know a friend of a friend who knows someone, who did do the 90 day report, then forgot for several months, almost a year now.

In that near year, he had a visa renewal, a new passport get stamps transfered, then another new passport get stamps transfered. Been stopped by police around 5 times, asked to see passport once of those 5 times, searched each time, did not have passport on him when he was asked for it, showed an old copy of a passport with expired visa in it and not a whisper of a problem.

Now maybe his 9 lives are running out, but maybe he also waiting for his next excuse to fly out instead of giving those that do not deserve it 5000 baht for nothing.

so the friend says.

This has to be one of the stupidist laws in Thailand - it just creates unnecessary paperwork and enforcing it now certainly makes farangs feel they're being harassed.

Get real.

What's the big deal about dropping a form in the mail once every three months? Harassment?

I bet you accused your high school English teacher of the same thing when they gave that weekly assignment to the class. How did you deal with that? :o

Edited by toptuan

On one of the many tedious occasions I reported to Phuket Immigation (yes, them again), last year, got a lot of finger jabbing from old scrote declaring 'overstay', and pulling out of big chart to reckon up how much I owed for seven or eight months 'overstay', at 500 thb a day, quite a lot I'd say. Until I spoiled said old scrote's day by pointing to stamp on the back of the stapled slip confirming that I indeed duly reported 90 days previously.

I think I read on another thread that some im offices weren't allowing postal reporting now. 'Course not. More money for them if they decide to be bloody awkward.

This has to be one of the stupidist laws in Thailand - it just creates unnecessary paperwork and...

It also creates an opportunity to levy fines on top of the yearly 1,900 Baht purple stamp tax. Cha-ching!

:o

This has to be one of the stupidist laws in Thailand - it just creates unnecessary paperwork and enforcing it now certainly makes farangs feel they're being harassed.

Get real.

What's the big deal about dropping a form in the mail once every three months? Harassment?

I bet you accused your high school English teacher of the same thing when they gave that weekly assignment to the class. How did you deal with that? :o

Your personal remarks are uncalled for.

This forum provides valuable information but is often spoiled by people like you who just can't refrain from being a smartass.

The paperwork IS unnecessary if they already have your address and you haven't moved.

Get real.

This forum provides valuable information but is often spoiled by people like you who just can't refrain from being a smartass.

The paperwork IS unnecessary if they already have your address and you haven't moved.

Stupid rule or not.............its the requirement in this country. Its pretty pointless complaining about it to be honest. IMHO

the rule probably derives from the fact that is required that all Thai citizens be registered.

That said, it is a mildly tedious rule, which could be easily met by issuing all long stay visa holders a temporary ID card in the same way that is done in HK or Singapore for long stayers, or is indeed done by Thailand for temporary workers from Burma, Cambo and Laos.

That's fine for you in the BKK area but up here in Khon Kaen we are being told to drive two and a half hours each way for a ten minute report in person.

I'm also in the greater Khon Kaen area and continue to mail in my reports to the Nong Khai office and receive receipts back from them. The day they enforce the "report in person" then I'll just post my reports to Bangkok. What's the problem?

Get real.

Dude, you need to lighten up. Do you know what a smiley face means at the end of a post? At least I didn't label you with a derivative of "ass." Is this the pot calling the kettle black? :D <-- Note smiley face. This means to take the comments with a grain of salt. Or, I am talking tongue-in-cheek. Like not overly-serious. Like making a comment along with a playful jab in your ribs. Like no offense meant.

Now, please try to carry on without the chip on the shoulder. (note, no smiley face here).

Back to the issue: The important information I am adding to the discussion is one of perspective. I believe that for the poster to complain of harassment is being a bit overreactive to a very simple and little time-consuming procedure performed once every three months. A simple form dropped in the mail. To whine about it reminds me of the picture below, aptly titled "cry baby."

post-21740-1192639383_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan