Lost Passport Still Causing Inconvenience On Entering Thailand

Ok, so several years back, in maybe 2002, I lost my passport. I lost it in Samui but only found out when back in Bangkok. I filed a report at Talingchan police office as was advised, though incidentally did not say it was lost in Samui (since I was told this could make things more complicated). Anyways, no matter, I got the report needed and the new passport. Learnt my lesson to be more careful and everything was fine.

However, I consistently get stopped for several minutes at passport control when entering or leaving Thailand. The first time I ever flew out of Suvarnabhumi the lady started saying 'black list, black list' and waved other officers over, which of course had me in a bit of a state. They milled around feverishly and then finally everything quieted down and the lady at the desk simply asked me if I'd lost my passport. The commotion that day doesn't happen every time, but usually (maybe 2 out of 3 times) the whole procedure seems to take way longer than normal and I often get asked 'did you lose your passport?', 'where did you lose your passport?' etc. and it's becoming a nuisance and frankly a bore having to be asked about it every time.

Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything I should do, like ask the British embassy about it? Is it possible my old passport was used fraudently by someone else?

same thing happens to me - passport reported stolen ages ago, replacement obtained and duly stamped in front ( in thai ) and again at back ( in english ) advising that it replaces such and such.. At BKK airport ( and at Malaysian border ) they ask me everytime ' did you lose your passport ? ' duh ! I certainly would not worry about it.

I lost my passport (actually just misplaced it long enough to need to replace it) but the only time it's come up again was one time entering at Don Muang, a month later. Since then (coming back from Penang, and from Russia) it hasn't been mentioned. If they mention, I'll say "Yes, right there on the first page it says this passport is my new one." Good luck.

Ah, well I don't have any stamp inside in regards to it being a replacement. I mean, this is my 2nd or 3rd passport since then. I don't think I ever had anything like that in any of them. Could that be causing the problem, I wonder? I don't worry unduly about it (except when I heard "blacklist!" lol), but it does get tiresome being held up a little longer. I've found passport control coming back to Suvarnabhumi is already filled with shaking heads as far as the eye can see. Lots of huffing and puffing, tapping feet, shuffling about impatiently and muttering under the breath as mr. or mrs. fumble fingers plods through the protracted procedure. I don't want those glares coming my way.

Mine was stolen in Bangkok a few years ago went to Embassy filled out paper work recieved a temporary replacement. Went to immigration had all of the new stamps entered into temporary. Upon arrival at home applied for and recieved a new passport. About 6 months later returned to Thailand and no problem and none since.

Maybe you should get a Thai friend to go with you to Immagration and explain what happens maybe they can find what is flagging you and remove it from your record. Good Luck.

• 3 months later...

I am in the same boat as all of you. I carry a photocopy of my old passport and the police report. BKK is never a problem as most of the immigration officers no the "unlock code" however I find in Phuket that most dont. I am not too worried about it but it does become a hassle everytime.

I have asked a friendly immigration supervisor in BKK before, the lost passport will be flagged until it expires is what I was told.

I would like to hear if its possible to have the flag removed if you visit Thai Immigrtion.