Car Battery

Sanpatong

Does anyone know a shop that sells LOADS of car batteries? Prefer a shop with some decent turnover, dont' want to end up with a dusted off year old specimen.

Don't want them to last even shorter than they normally already do here. :o

Anyone any ideas on brands? I want to go with the cheaper regular types that you have to refill with distilled water occasionally; the 'no service' ones don't last any longer in my experience.

The place I always use is close to Tesco Lotus on Hang Dong road. Nearly across the street from the Esso filling station, and right next to the Jet station as you go towards Airport Plaza. Believe it is either Good Year, or BF Goodrich signs out front. They do wheel work but have a large assortment of batteries and very good service. My batteries have always lasted 3-4 years.

There's another good place on Hangdong Rd that I have been using for many years and it is very popular.

Less than a Km South of the airport runway and outer ring road is a very tall Sony sign on the right and just a few meters further along is the battery shop on the same side of the road. Nice family, very knowledgable.

Edited by Dustoff

Does anyone know a shop that sells LOADS of car batteries? Prefer a shop with some decent turnover, dont' want to end up with a dusted off year old specimen.

If it's a decent distributor they will store the batteries "dry" and only add the electrolyte prior to sale. I always use the "Goodyear Eagle" store on the Superhighway just round the corner from the Chotana Road junction.

Thanks everyone!! I know most of the shops mentioned and will pick one of them..

I'm also tempted to use the Nopparat tyre shop on the Mae Rim road.. Bought tyres & shocks there a couple times and they've always been very good.

I'll probably pick the one near Sony though, THANKS!!

There's another good place on Hangdong Rd that I have been using for many years and it is very popular.

Less than a Km South of the airport runway and outer ring road is a very tall Sony sign on the right and just a few meters further along is the battery shop on the same side of the road. Nice family, very knowledgable.

The Hang Dong Road seems to be Mecca for car batteries. I've been buying mine (although only twice for two cars) at a place on the Hang Dong road at the first 'legal' "U-turn" cut after Lotus, on the opposite side of the road from Lotus. It is just across from a Honda car dealership, looks like all the other tire and wheel shops, but sells genuine Panasonic batteries for about 1,200 baht. Each has lasted about 3-4 years.

The Fly Fisherman

The Hang Dong Road seems to be Mecca for car batteries. I've been buying mine (although only twice for two cars) at a place on the Hang Dong road at the first 'legal' "U-turn" cut after Lotus, on the opposite side of the road from Lotus. It is just across from a Honda car dealership, looks like all the other tire and wheel shops, but sells genuine Panasonic batteries for about 1,200 baht. Each has lasted about 3-4 years.

The Fly Fisherman

Yes, avoid false economy and make it Panasonic, or another Japanese make, or Vata from Germany. I have had constant (and cumulatively expensive) disappointments with Thai makes, especially on cars which are left for weeks of disuse and then, when you need them, never ever start again. Even with jumper leads (booster cables) in some cases.

Anyone with a car here which is infrequently used - and flying in from Europe or the US - should bring with them a simple battery cut off switch. Available very cheaply from any motor sport-oriented place. This is attached to either terminal and totally isolates the battery from power loss due to clock, radio etc etc.

Always assuming you remember to use it of course...............