Homebirth And Birth Certificate Issues

My son was born at home here in Bangkok. The district office had no problems issues a Thai birth certificate in just a day. (Amazing considering the run-around we got at first)

I got a birth packet from the US Embassy and the social security application says we need the Thai certificate translated by the Ministry Foreign Affairs. We did not have to do this when our daughter was born here... maybe the hospital did it for us. But this time with son born at home, there's no hospital to do it for us.

So, where is the MFA? I'm finding 2 locations and don't know which it is. Any specific office? How much will it cost? How much time does it take to do the translation?

Thanks!

Believe you will have to have it translated first and they should be able to do the footwork to get it legalized at MFA; do not believe MFA is in the translation business. Believe it is normally next day service in that case. If you take original/translation yourself believe you can get it done same day.

chaeng_eng.gif

Naturalization & Legalization

What would you like to know about our service ?

- Guidance for Legalization

- How to register marriage under Thai law.

Legalization Division , 3rd floor

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road

Bangkok 10210

Tel : 0-2575-1056-59 Fax : 0-2575-1054

Service hours : 08.30 - 14.30 hrs. (Closed on Saturday - Sunday and Public Holidays)

Email : [email protected]

Thank you for that info! Next question then, does the MFA require the translation done by specific translators, or do they not care? I'd hate to pay and wait for a translation office around the corner and then take it to the MFA and them not accept it.

Believe the translation service must be certified by MFA and they should tell you that. Believe what MFA does is match the signature to a list they keep. If you arrive with a translation that is not authorized there used to be scalpers who would quickly take it out to obtain a valid signature for a small fee (but don't know if they still operate or not - best to make sure it is a real translation service). I would have an extra made while you are at it.

• 5 months later...
My son was born at home here in Bangkok. The district office had no problems issues a Thai birth certificate in just a day. (Amazing considering the run-around we got at first)

I would be interested to know what exactly happened when you got the run-around at first? Where did first you go for the Thai birth certificate and what did they say / request?

What were all the documents (and copies) that you needed to produce in the end?

Do you have a copy of the form you have to fill out?