Big Bo***xs

GF went for visa today. She was refused. The reason given was. "they think she is coming to the UK to work"

I have wrote letters stating it was for a holiday.

Travel itinery (quotes with dates and names of me and GF) travelling to and from thailand. From a Travel agents.

Money in my bank

Money in her bank

Letters of sposorship

Letters of my employment

Passport copy

Bills

Receipts

Photos

Emails

Letters

Photos of mine and her family

Wage slips

Statements from banks

reciepts of money i send her each month

letter stating what we plan to do in our time together in the UK/ plans to return to Thailand in september to buy a shop and maybe marry next year in Thailand.

WHAT MORE PROOF DO THEY WANT.??????

Because i send my GF money and does not have to work in a bar. She is automatically coming to work in england for 2 months????

What the **** do i do now???

My GF is heartbroken, which i knew she would be, but what makes it worse is that 2 days before she her interview she found out her mother was sick. And she has to return home to take care of her. I just want her to have some good luck!!

Any help ? Suggestions??

And please no idiots saying ive been sucked into a trap/ fell for the wrong girl, blah blah etc etc.................

Heard / seen the same posters on here all before too many times!!! It gets boring!!

Cheers !!!!

:o:D

2 tips i can think of,

1) it's so much better for you to go with her.

2) don't tell them it's for 2 months, tell them it's for a holiday maybe a month max, all visa's are valid for 6 month multiple entries

the info you've given them seems ok, keep trying, with persistence they'll see it's genuine.

you say interview, if she's been given an interview then that does' nt mean she's been refused, they just want to sit and talk more, ask about you and what she knows about you.

DON'T MISS THE INTERVIEW or call and try to re-schedule it.

good luck

Unlucky mate, regarding the advise above I would think that if they record everything she says and she states 2 weeks nd then stays 2 months it will come back on her. Looks like you'll have to get married or she will have to fine suitable employment and assets which the embassys require as a minimum.

Keep trying

Call the embassy & speak to the person who refused her (or someone who will know) & find out why they thought she was coming to the UK to work. I had a close situation with my husbands interview for residency & when I was called in to confirm what had been said it turned out that the translator had misundstood the reponse & translated it wrong, if I hadn't argued with the English girl it would have cost us the visa. There must have been something your g/f said, even in inocence that probably got misinterpreted, so call them & don't give up until you have a good enough explaination. The one you've been given sound like a crock of shit to me :o Good Luck

No she went for the interview and was refused. Told to cannot go back till at least 2 months. The reason i cant go is im now in the UK. Go thailand 9/9/4, and wanted to bring her back with me after 2 weeks. So needed the interview now. I do not return to thailand till April after september. I know its pants, Work commitments. Thats why i wanted her with me over here to break up the 6 months.

Have been trying to call and talk to someone in thailand and uk embassy, but all i get are answering machines.

:o

Playing devils advocate here, maybe you did not provide enough proof that she would return to Thailand. All the documentation about you working and earning in the UK, plus you you paying for her and her not having a job in Thailand probably set alarm bells ringing. It may well look more like you as a couple would have more reason to stay in the UK rather than give it up and move to Thailand.

Can your girlfreind find definite proof that she HAS to return (e.g. a job to go back to, the sick mother etc)?

No she went for the interview and was refused. Told to cannot go back till at least 2 months. The reason i cant go is im now in the UK. Go thailand 9/9/4, and wanted to bring her back with me after 2 weeks. So needed the interview now. I do not return to thailand till April after september. I know its pants, Work commitments. Thats why i wanted her with me over here to break up the 6 months.

Have been trying to call and talk to someone in thailand and uk embassy, but all i get are answering machines.

Unlucky Spuds, it must really piss people in Uk off when their Girlfriends get refused a holiday Visa, yet they see all those immigrants coming into Uk, getting benifits , housing, and they aint ever gonna leave.

I dont live in UK anymore, but it would really piss me off, but i suppose they have guidelines to follow. Just seems so unfair when i hear of all the immigrants in Uk claiming benefits.....

Can they refuse if you are Married and registered as Married at the Embassy?

Big Spuds,

Applicants who are refused a visa have to be given a notice which fully explains why the visa has been refused. If the visa officer belives that your g/f is going to work in the UK then he/she must have a reason to think that which meets the legal burden of the balance of probablity. Obtain your g/f's copy and a copy of the interview notes and, if you wish, I'll assess whether there is any value in submitting further representations to the embassy. If you want me to take a look over the paperwork then PM me.

Can they refuse if you are Married and registered as Married at the Embassy?

Yes.

Scouse.

Just found out the GF did not pay. Does this mean she has just been sifted out?

Has she not had the proper interview? She did go last thursday, was told there were too many people trying and to come back on the 10th which is today for an interview. Confused!!!!!

Any suggestions on how i would go about getting to talk to someone who will know at the embassy?

BS,

If she didn't pay then it does sound as if she was sifted out in which case she hasn't been refused but, rather, was told that on the available information she was unlikely to qualify, thus saving her the fee.

The head of the visa section is Jane Lacey-Smith although recently she's been away and a chap named Kevin Newman has been acting manager. Phone up and ask to speak to the Entry Clearance Manager and you'll get either one or the other. However, don't be surprised if they don't answer. The visa section staff show a marked reluctance to talk to the plebs especially when it's grief. They'll probably ask you to put your request in writing.

Scouse.

Just found out after interigating the GF on the phone.......She said the man never told her she was refused just told her just probably wouldnt get it. She said she thinks she could go back in 2 weeks for the second interview.

Do you think this is wise after what he said?

The visa fee is not the problem of taking the risk, but the stamping of her passport is!

I should think this would make it more difficult to obtain a visa in the future, wouldnt it?

If we should go for it, any advice on getting it (ideas to correct what the 1st interviewer thought?), after all thats been said?

What do i do???? the clocks ticking!!!!! :o

BS,

I don't understand the bit about returning for a second interview in 2 weeks. If your g/f was sifted out that means that on the advice of the visa officer she did not lodge her application. Working on the assumption that she was sifted out, she can (re)apply whenever she chooses. If the visa officer attempts to persuade her not to lodge the application she can insist that they accept it. She will then have to pay the fee and the embassy will then write to her with a date for interview. I have just checked on the embassy website and the current waiting time between making an application and being interviewed is 6/7 weeks for visit visas.

If the visa is then refused, a stamp is placed on the backpage of the passport to indicate this. In the short term this can be a hindrance to subsequently getting a visa. However, should your g/f's circumstances change, for example marriage, then the previous refusal would be of little significance.

I accept what you've said previously that you've provided your g/f with every conceivable piece of evidence to show that she will leave the UK at the end of her holiday but the visa officer is not interested in your beliefs. He/she is solely concerned with your g/f's intentions and circumstances. You previously stated that you g/f is unemployed and dependent upon money which you send her. From the visa officer's point of view this does not give her a reason to return to Thailand. Any decision made by a visa officer is based on the legal standard of the balance of probabilities. The visa officer will ask his/herself whether it is probable that this lady will go back to Thailand when she has no job to which to return and the person upon whom she is financially reliant lives in the UK. It is my opinion based on the facts which you've mentioned that the conclusion the visa officer would come to is no.

So, Big Spuds, it's your call mate. I don't believe that your g/f would get the visit visa but stranger things have happened and even if she is refused she lives to fight another day.

Scouse.

I have wrote letters stating it was for a holiday.

Travel itinery (quotes with dates and names of me and GF) travelling to and from thailand. From a Travel agents.

Money in my bank

Money in her bank

Letters of sposorship

Letters of my employment

Passport copy

Bills

Receipts

Photos

Emails

Letters

Photos of mine and her family

Wage slips

Statements from banks

reciepts of money i send her each month

letter stating what we plan to do in our time together in the UK/ plans to return to Thailand in september to buy a shop and maybe marry next year in Thailand.

WHAT MORE PROOF DO THEY WANT.??????

what proof did you provide that SHE has reason to return to Thailand ??

You are not the one applying for the visa. It is her situation that is considered and most importantly reasons for her to return ie:

you work in LOS and have a work permit(therefore as the sponsor you will be returning)

she has a job/career to return to

she has tertiary education to return to

she owns a house

she has misc. ongoing committments in LOS

but what makes it worse is that 2 days before she her interview she found out her mother was sick. And she has to return home to take care of her. I just want her to have some good luck!!

Any help ? Suggestions??

Just a thought BS but could your gf make out a case that her mother is dependant upon her and that she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand to care for her mother? Perhaps that someone is temporarily caring for her in her absence?

GF is going for the second interview.

I am going to try and write another letter, pleading with them to believe us that she has no intentions of working or staying in the uk. Also telling them her mother is sick and she has to care for her, which is the truth. (but how do we prove it?)

Any more ideas would be helpful!!

Is it a major bad thing if her passport get stamped refused visa?

What are the consequences?

I have tried all yesterday and all today to try and get in touch with the embassy UK and thailand. All i get is answering machines. I have already lodged a complaint on the UK Visa website. And will definatley take it a lot further if she gets refused.

I cant even get to talk to someone to ask advice at the embassy!!!!

BIG SPUDS

To be very blunt

THE BEST ADVICE you were given my myself and many others was to wait until September...less than a month away and all go together.

But no you can not wait????

Your GF interpretation of events are not the same as you found out already.

You are just making your own life frustrating.

For reality sake you may not even feel the same together in September.

WAIT three weeks. It will be worth it!

Here's a spanner in the works:

The Chancellor of the Exchequer recently announced he was cutting 80,000 civil servant jobs. So whatever service we once received will inevitably be reduced.

Is it any wonder the Embassy are hard to contact? Do you think such cuts only apply to the "Managers"? Or is it only the unsighted posters here that just think that "other" civil servants are affected by the slaying of the government work force? Just 'cos you're not ill and needing hospital treatment doesn't mean you won't feel the impact.

Bigspuds, don't concentrate on going they're with proof of travel, CTG's right, wait go together, you'll get an interview date, talk to them and they might fit you in for interview while your here, maybe she'll get accepted and you can get an electronic ticket so she can travel alone to meet you in the uk.

QUOTE (BIG SPUDS @ Wed 2004-08-11, 12:40:43)

Also telling them her mother is sick and she has to care for her, which is the truth. (but how do we prove it?)

A perfect excuse!

She needs to take care of her mother but she wants to go on vacations for 2 months...

sorry but this is a good point. they won't buy this, don't even mention it.

Gf is going to try and change the date till 13/14 sep. I will be there then.

With regard to CuteTG reply: - GF doesnt know anything about visas, same as me.

Another idea i have had is to get GF to enrol in school to study english, but to start when she comes back from the UK, but to pay upfront now.

Everyone says she needs compelling evidence to return, but if i cant mention her mother, she has no job, no land what chance do i have and what are we supposed to say?

(her mother being sick)with regards to this, her and her sister do take it in turns.

GF would never travel alone, she cant read english. how would she cope at Amsterdam airport alone? she has never flew B4 either and is shit scared, so that is out of the question, she would only fly with me.

if the real reason is that your GF wants to visit UK for a week or two to say hi to your folks and you are able to show a ticket there and back should not be so difficult as many people want to do that.

Whay UK does not want is the risk of people going one way only.

any reasons you give have to support the first scenario.

At the end of it all it is the decision of the embassy but at least if yhou are available, ie there, or is that here? In Bangkok together you will know all the story.

Was it you where others were suggesting arriving 5 days early to 'test' your GF?

CT

Everyone says she needs compelling evidence to return, but if i cant mention her mother, she has no job, no land what chance do i have and what are we supposed to say?

That is standard "western country" immigration policy. It is unlikely that you can change their policy, therefore you must either :

a : craft a situation that gives off the "impression" you have reason to return

b : invest more time/money to create real reasons to return.

Siutation "a" is obviously much quicker than situation "b" , but also has a greater risk of failure.

Enroll her in Ramkapheng (spelling?) Uni as a student studying from home - then she is legit, can learn anything she wants and might become a better person as a result of it. (sorry not saying she is not a good person but Im sure you know what I mean).

Hope this helps

Like a lot of others, have been in a similar situation, letters of complaint will achieve nothing. The best suggestion I could make, would be, that if previously married, to take your divorce certificate (assuming of course that have one) , and copies of bank statements with you in September and get legally married.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9956&hl=

My girlfriend, is applying for visa in a few days, Tourist visa.

She has no regular income (apart from me) as i told her to pack her job in (shop) and go home

Why did you tell her to stop working ???????????????? that's what I asked you three months ago :o
a : craft a situation that gives off the "impression" you have reason to return

I hear there are companys that will write a letter of "employment" for a small fee :D

that would give her more of a reason (in the embassy's eyes) to return to Thailand.

Enroll as a student sounds like a good idea too.

The head of the visa section is Jane Lacey-Smith although recently she's been away and a chap named Kevin Newman has been acting manager. Phone up and ask to speak to the Entry Clearance Manager and you'll get either one or the other. However, don't be surprised if they don't answer. The visa section staff show a marked reluctance to talk to the plebs especially when it's grief. They'll probably ask you to put your request in writing.

This guy Kevin Newman refused my friend a visit visa on the grounds that he considered her 'dishonest'.

Throughout the entire interview he refused to make eyecontact with her, and did not allow her to speak english even though she is fluent.

I asked to see him, was made to wait an hour but he did turn up - again he refused to make eye contact with me. Most odd - I got the distinct impression he was either feeling guilty or at least, very uncomfortable about something (bad breakfast? who knows..)

At any rate, I found him to be what one might term 'a cock.'

I was ultra-polite throughout.

This is hardly uncommon. I have seen many refusals for these grounds and these grounds alone.

She does not work? No land? No farm? Are you quite sure that she cannot find some work, as demeaning as it seems that she may eek out a living in Thailand instead of relying on handouts? There are 40m+ Thais doing just fine with work.

She has no close family commitments? You say the mother is sick, no way a Thai daughter would leave her mother for long in those circumstances. Maybe two or three weeks if another sibling was available.

How did you meet?

What was her previous job? Does she have wage slips? What was the name and address? What was the phone number?

How much money does she have in the bank? And how does she get this money?

This business you want to run together in Thailand? Doing what exactly?

These are all questions she will be asked at the interview.

If she has worked in a bar before and you met her in her professional capacity this will come out. If she hides it with some flimsy lies she will be found out and refused.

If you have a meticulously prepared application which demonstrates she will be returning to Thailand then no problem. But it has to be meticulous and no lying.

Already I can picture that small stamp in the back of her passport and the file on the shelf.

These things are not impossible to obtain but it takes hard work, commitment, a good advisor and deep pockets. If you lack these then forget it, you will fail.

I saw a guy a few weeks ago in the queue infront of me with a form for his young male friend to submit, no attachments, no photographs. He got pissy as he did not want to waste any time getting photos, surely they could just process it now? Rude awakening coming.

Hi BS,

This is my first time looking at this forum and although it seems it is a good idea to have a forum like this to exchange information, the actual result is that you have not recieved any useful information and you have also recieved advice, that if followed would create more problems for you.

While it may be OK for men to share their romantic experiences about their Thai girlfriends, it is a completely different thing to take legal advice from people who are clearly not qualified to give it.

One of the people who responded to you appears to have a little knowledge of the visa application process. But we have all heard the expression that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Your situation and errors are the simplest and most common. Each day I see people like you and your girlfriend experiencing the same problems at both the UK and American embassies. The experience for these people is both tramatic and frustrating. They just want to be together and they don't understand why the process is designed to be so difficult.

For some the frustration is compounded because they have hired and paid someone to do the job for them and still they are denied the visa. These are the people with a little knowledge. They have some successes but the percentage is low. They don't understand what the problem is. But the problem is clear: they do not understand the letter of the immigration laws, but more important, they do not understand the intent of the immigration laws.

When Bill Clinton was the President of the United States he was famous for saying "I feel your pain" when hearing about a citizens problems. This is the way I feel when reading about your frustrations with the visa application process.

I am sure this is what motivates people to write and offer assistance. They truly want to help you. They are good people with good intentions.

But the reason you took the time to write in to this forum was to get some information you could benefit from. If you would like to have a dialog with me you may contact me at my e-mail address:[email protected] I do not believe I will have the time in the near future to enter this forum again.

My sincere

best wishes,

Brian