Sukhumvit Cycle Path

kevc

Just walking down past Sukhumvit Soi 7 last night and noticed the "cycleway" on the pavement, now apart from the ridiculous idea that there may be enough room to cycle down there what really made me think was when did they find enough time or free space to paint them let alone let them dry.

Seriously - who thinks these things up!!!

Cycle Lanes are FOR Cycles and usually go next to the road. They have also painted these outside Villa Market (Suk Soi 33 to and past Phrom Phong Skytrain). No other option for the pedestrian except to walk on it...WHY? cos either side is full of Motorcycle drivers on one side and their bikes lined up on the other. Also pavement vendors on either side... When are they going to clear the pavements for PEOPLE to walk on!!

I also saw out of the car driving past PhraKhanong Skytrain last Sunday night that there is a Cycle Lane there too.... AGAIN - ON THE PAVEMENT. Who is responsible for this???? The mind boggles!

RANT OVER!!!

I have said it before and I will say it again 'Two white lines do not make a cycle path.' At best, it is a shared pedestrian/cycle path and should be signed as such. There are two white lines painted on the pavement (sidewalk) from Big C on Lat Phrao Road to Lat Phrao 101, if you started at Big C on the cycle path and me on the road, I'll wait for you at 101 - I'll even let you use a Honda Wave or similar and I'll still wait for you!

What is wrong with riding on the road (US- pavement)? Too dangerous? It is certainly not more dangerous than other major cities in the world and safer than a lot in Saudi. First of all you need to know how to cycle and how to cycle properly. Yes, I realise, that a lot of you can ride a bike, you can keep your balance as you move forward, know what the brake levers do and think you know how to use the gears but do you? There's more to it that that!

I try to cycle everyday and have about 20 circuits mapped out, ranging from my 'lazy day' circuit of 30kms to a few of about 70kms. Most of them involve Lat Phrao Road from Soi 41 to The Mall, Bang Kapi. Have I ever been involved in 'near misses'? Yes, Ever fallen off? Yes! Does it stop me? No? So get out there and enjoy!

Soi's 3 to 7 - beggars and ladies of the night on the left, street traders stalls on the right and now bikes in the middle. Er, where are people supposed to walk and did that slight oversight escape the attention of the planners!

What is wrong with riding on the road (US- pavement)? Too dangerous? It is certainly not more dangerous than other major cities in the world and safer than a lot in Saudi

The Official accident statistics would contradict that statement and the actual figures even moreso.

Any stats to prove your statement?

I ride my mountain bike almost daily around BKK. My favorite route is Yaowarat-Sanam Luang-Samsen-Nonthaburi.

I probably average 25-40 kms depending on my mood and the weather.

I too noticed the bike paths on Suk, it reminded me of the bike path on Narathiwat rd.

Possibly usable in some places :o

Who is responsible for this????

the bma officials who spent a gazillion baht traveling to various european cities on a public works study tour earlier this year.... :D

These 'cycle paths' have been around for at least two years. http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/cycle/cycle.shtml

Ok, I checked out that website - txs 4 da link :D . However, the white lines marked out on the pavement by Phrom Pong are new and were not there before, I am sure.... And seriously, I have NEVER seen Cycle Lanes on Pavements! Pavements are for Pedestrians IMHO. I know they are also in Parks though.

I know that in London, Cycle Lanes are adjacent to the Road i.e. in between the Road and the Pavement.

In addition, in the UK it is illegal to ride bikes on pavements (not of course that that stops everyone but most people don't do it).

Can you imagine here if a group of us - say 50 all got together in a line and rode SLOWLY on the cycle lanes (in Phrom Pong for example), without stopping..... ringing bells to make pedestrians move etc???? Complete & Utter Chaos! Making the motorcycle guys and food vendors move outta the way. Mmmm think it would precipitate World War 3!! :D

Would make a Great Front page on the BK Post though. :o

Ok, I checked out that website - txs 4 da link :o . However, the white lines marked out on the pavement by Phrom Pong are new and were not there before, I am sure.... And seriously, I have NEVER seen Cycle Lanes on Pavements! Pavements are for Pedestrians IMHO. I know they are also in Parks though.

Check out http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/...th/July2001.htm - shared cycle way going through a bus shelter! Also other examples on that site. Also check http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/daft-lanes-index.htm

I know that in London, Cycle Lanes are adjacent to the Road i.e. in between the Road and the Pavement. Not all are.

In addition, in the UK it is illegal to ride bikes on pavements (not of course that that stops everyone but most people don't do it).

If the pavement has been designated as 'shared use' under the 1984 Cycle Tracks Act then no offence has been committed!

What is wrong with riding on the road (US- pavement)? Too dangerous? It is certainly not more dangerous than other major cities in the world and safer than a lot in Saudi

The Official accident statistics would contradict that statement and the actual figures even moreso.

Any stats to prove your statement?

I'm surprised you are not aware Thailand has one of the worst road traffic accidents rates in the World having spent so much time in the country and on this forum!?!

Road Safety Situation

According to official statistics (police), 12,858 people were killed in road crashes in 2005. However the real number might even be higher. According to documentation from the health sector, the real death toll could be 20,000 or more if victims who die after being removed from the crash scene are included.

The primary causes of road crashes are the dangerous mix of motorcyclists and larger vehicles, alcohol impaired driving, and excessive speed. Many road deaths happen during the two national holidays: New Year (6 days) December/January and Songkran (9 days) in April.

In 2005 the road fatality rate were 20.6/105 population and 5.09/104 vehicles.

According to Thailand’s crash records, the main features of the country’s road crash and injury problem are:

* The working adult age group (25-59 years) represents the majority of those dying in road crashes (over 50%) followed by young people aged 15-24 years who account for 29% of the total fatalities.

* Many deaths occur during 2 holiday periods, New Year and Songkran.

* 45% of deaths in 2004 occurred on the national highways, half of them involving motorcycles

* 44% of the total number of road crash injuries in Thailand occur in Bangkok compared with only 6% of the country’s fatalities

* In average less than 17% of all injured used seat belts and less than 15% used crash helmets. Numbers are higher in Bangkok where enforcement is stricter

* Of all injured: 75% are male

* The Police identified excessive speed as the most common cause of crashes followed by unsafe passing and illegal overtaking

* In Khon Kaen Province (Northern Thailand), 81 % of total injured patients admitted to hospitals in 2002 were motorcycle injury victims. It is believed that this is likely to reflect the situation in other provinces too

* Hospital data indicates that over half of injured drivers and riders had been drinking alcohol

While the actual statistics should be treated with some caution due to possible under-reporting, analyses indicate the primary causes of road crashes: excessive speed involving mixed traffic (also vulnerable road users), drinking and driving, dangerous overtaking and the poor use of helmets.

Educate yourself here

I'm not sure if its true but I heard that about 70% of the accidents, I presume in bangkok, involve buses.

Can you imagine here if a group of us - say 50 all got together in a line and rode SLOWLY on the cycle lanes (in Phrom Pong for example), without stopping..... ringing bells to make pedestrians move etc???? Complete & Utter Chaos! Making the motorcycle guys and food vendors move outta the way. Mmmm think it would precipitate World War 3!! :D

Would make a Great Front page on the BK Post though. :o

I wonder how Thai authorities would react to something like Critical Mass. I found it pretty annoying when I lived in Austin, but they did sort of get their point across, heh.

emperor_tud, thanks for the offer but I do not need to educate myself but perhaps I did not make myself clear. When I wrote "It is certainly not more dangerous than other major cities in the world and safer than a lot in Saudi." The 'it' that I referred to was 'cycling' and I stand by that statement. In your 'cut and paste', there were no references to cycling deaths or injuries and when we are talking about cycling, you should have included these figures but there is more to safety than deaths and injuries, isn't there?

on-on, you are right, the Critical Mass faction are very annoying and doing cyclists a great disservice.

I very rarely venture to the Sukhumvit/Silom area but may do a quick circuit to see how bad it is to cycle along there. I'm thinking of coming down Ratchada, turning into Sukhumvit at Asoke and returning via either Suk 63 or 71; I'll video the trip and post a link here.

emperor_tud, thanks for the offer but I do not need to educate myself but perhaps I did not make myself clear. When I wrote "It is certainly not more dangerous than other major cities in the world and safer than a lot in Saudi." The 'it' that I referred to was 'cycling' and I stand by that statement. In your 'cut and paste', there were no references to cycling deaths or injuries and when we are talking about cycling, you should have included these figures but there is more to safety than deaths and injuries, isn't there?

on-on, you are right, the Critical Mass faction are very annoying and doing cyclists a great disservice.

I very rarely venture to the Sukhumvit/Silom area but may do a quick circuit to see how bad it is to cycle along there. I'm thinking of coming down Ratchada, turning into Sukhumvit at Asoke and returning via either Suk 63 or 71; I'll video the trip and post a link here.

Wow - Very brave! Let us know how you get on...

I would suggest you avoid Suk 33 etc (Phrom Phong) at lunchtime otherwise you will never get by on the pavement! Sorry, slip of the tongue - I meant "Cycle path!" :o

Having driven in Bangkok for many years now I cannot agree with your statements based on personal experience.

My statement is based primarily on my cycling experiences in Bangkok and major European cities. A lot of my cycling diaries are in the UK but we are talking of over 150,000 lifetime kms. Now you say that "I cannot agree with your statements based on personal experience." If you are talking about your experience - how much cycling have you done and where?

If you cycle in Bangkok good luck to you, but it is only a matter of time before you become a statistic IMO.

Do you ever travel by aeroplane? Well, it's only a matter of time before you become a statistic but you will have to live to be about 739!

Do you eat seafood? Well, it's only a matter of time before you become a statistic but you will have to live to be about 3392!

Do you ever cross the road? Well, it's only a matter of time before you become a statistic but you will have to live to be about 187!

I would suggest you avoid Suk 33 etc (Phrom Phong) at lunchtime otherwise you will never get by on the pavement! Sorry, slip of the tongue - I meant "Cycle path!" :o

I do not use cycle paths. I have never cycled on the pavement - sorry, if you count about 4 metres of pavement from where the pavement drops to the bus shelter by bridge support 248 on Kasert-Nawamin Road then I have! That's my stop on my 'lazy day circuit'! The last cycle path that I used was about 20 years ago in Runcorn, UK when we used a small stretch going from our club room to the Clifton Expressway.

• 2 weeks later...