Microsoft Upgrades! Vista And Xp Involved!

Guest Reimar

If it's only a couple days then I'd try going into system restore and go back to a point a week ago and see if that clears it up. If it does you then have to look at anything you installed or any modifications you made in that time period as that is almost always the culprit. I've seen a lot of reports of things like wireless cards or other peripherals interfering with proper shut down, but no single cause sticks out.

Graphical how-to for using Windows Restore:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...system-restore/

I just checked and your model can take 2gb no problem.

One important thing is that you are not hurting anything by using the power down button, I use it all the time.

*PS - I just glanced real quickly at the rest of the thread. Is Linux expensive, or overly technical? I just want something easy to use, with no hassles. The constant upgrades were a pain, but I was learning to work around them, but now things seem to be getting worse (even more slow, cannot shut down properly, my wireless is less responsive - just more problems and irritations!).

Linux is free and so is all the software you would ever need, but it is a labour of love.  I put it off a long time, because it does require time and effort to learn to use and work around things.  Its alot better then ever, but its really not a click and go plug and play type system yet.  You don't need to be a geek, it is not overly technical, but you will have to learn some new tricks.  I have been at it for three months and now feel as at home if not more 

then I ever did in XP.  One big advan. is it is vary rare to have to shut it down or re boot.  I run Ktorrents P2P plus download and install up dates and software without ever having to stop the other programs.  I would say get a used PC for linux to use and learn on.  keeping a windows PC going until ready then crossover, some use dual boot rather then sep. PC, but then you have to shut down all the time.  I wish I had changed over years ago.  If I had kids at home I would make them use it, but they would learn fast like kids do.  PS its nice to have a working PC to go to when the blue screen of death arrives.

I have a fairly new Dell computer, bought a couple of months ago, and the minor irritations (slow, etc, constant upgrades) are now worrisome. The constant updates that you all mentioned never stop, and now the ###### thing won't shut down on its own unless I crudely hold down the power button. I need advice from people who know, because Dell tech support takes up a lot of time and is mostly useless about this issue. Please let me know what you think is the best thing that I should do. I have financial constraints, so I cannot spend a lot of money patching up a brand new computer. Someone told me I should just de-install Vista and install XP or something. What do you guys think?

Here are the stats:

It is a Windows Vista Home Premium 2006 OS, and the other stats:

Dell Inspirion MXC061 (14 e)

Intel Duo CPU 1.87 GHZ

1014 MB Ram

32-bit operating system.

My 2ct:

This is not a very fast system to run Vista on. XP will fly on this for sure, however, re-installing the OS and all your programs is a major pain - a trade-off to consider.

Dell has some sort of program whereby they will send you a Windows XP disk with which you can downgrade your system to XP - if you get that, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, before even considering downgrading, you would have to scour Dell's website for Windows XP drivers for your system, download them if they exist, and burn them on a CD _before_ re-installing the OS.

The other option is to try and make Vista faster - more RAM, maybe hope that SP1 which will come out soon fixes some things. But I have to tell you that Vista is slow as a dog on my system as well, which is a 2x2GHz laptop. Since the specs of my laptop are way above and beyond what is recommended for Vista my only conclusion is that some drivers are not ready, or something else is kinked up.

Linux is - has has been for the last few years - almost ready for prime time. But not quite, not yet. My test was: Would Ubuntu upgrade from 7.0 to 7.10 without a hitch? And the answer was no, it didn't. It ran into networking trouble about halfway through and from thereon out it was borked. I guess such things happen in Linux because when they do, I can't just pick up the phone and give tech support hel_l. All I can do is say, oh, well, it's free. And maybe post something in the ubuntu forums.

cndvic is right!

I run Vista Ultimate on an Acer 5593 with Core Duo 1.66 and 2 GB Ram and it works even better and faster than the XP which was coming with the Laptop! It is a question of tweaking Vista for your requirements! Vista managing the Core Duo CPU and the 2 GB memory much better than XP!

Ubuntu 7.10 even works well without any hassle! Boot from the CD, start the install from the desktop after the prog was booted completly, answer a few question and that is! I was not need to install any other driver or so and the Internet works fine as the network although! The only disadvantage is that the internet is a little more slow with Firefox on Ubuntu than on Vista!

Kat, according to my own bad experiences, you may can not avoid the upgrades from MS as long as you run Vista or XP.

On my comps I even disabled the WU service but the updates still runs sometime and boot the computer without permission. The best alternative will be Ubuntu Linux because of it hassle free installation. But the memory ubgrade to 2 GB I would do anyway!

Ubuntu is not ready for primetime yet. If you want to run flash, mp3, etc, you need to know how to install the codecs on your own. Forget watching or listening to WMA or WMV formats, and it's far buggier than any Windows has ever been. I don't think it's a responsible recommendation to make to a non-techie because it still requires considerable work, much of it from the command line to enable it to even begin to approach the capabilities of Windows. Then there's the updates which are far in excess of the amount you get in Windows, and you need to know which ones to install, and which to dismiss in order to keep your OS trim and unbloated.

Kat, for now just forget anyone mentioned Linux. It's more hassle than you need. The issues you are having with Windows are minor, and will be sorted quite easily.

Edited by cdnvic

Hi.

I've been running Vista since February (Ultimate 32bit) and NEVER had a problem with the auto-update. I have "disabled" that service in control panel/administrative tools/services and start it manually if needed (such as to weekly update Windows Defender's signatures file). NEVER have my settings been changed or did my machine self-install anything and rebooted itself without my permit to do so. I think this is just one of many hoaxes trying to make M$ look worse than they already are.

Are any of you, who seem to experience this "problem", users of software like Norton Anti-Virus? Because as a fact, THAT software DOES re-enable Windows Automatic Updates, and it does so every time it updates itself! And yes, it does so WITHOUT asking the user's permit.

Which is just another reason to stay away from the incredibly bloated Norton Anti-Virus products and instead go for something like Avast! which runs fine on my Vista, generates no headaches whatsoever and is, on top of it all, free for personal use.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thats a vary good point.  I was hating XP until I deleted Norton back in April and XP was 90% improved, I had some issues with the updates, but thinking about AV I was running Windows live one care at the time which may be the reason updates get turned back on.  I stopped using that because they would not let me buy it from overseas without a hassle,  but I had been wanted to go linux anyway (from way back) and its been good, so don't matter ether way anymore.  

Thanks so much everyone for all the comments and information; I am much more informed now. I think I will go with the option that promises the least bit of hassle, because I am really a baby when it comes to computer maintenance. I have so many other details to focus on when using my computer, I can't deal with the hassle of monitoring and constant updates myself. But, I'm glad to know of everything out there, including the status of Linux.

I will go with the easiest option first that was recommended, which is to upgrade memory to 2GB.

I need to update you guys on a computer "crash" or whatever that happened to me last night:

As I said, things have been slow and strange, and my wireless has not been as responsive. So, I logged onto another available, unsecured network, and about a minute later got the "blue screen". I had never seen one of these, and it just said: NMI/ Memory parity, call my vendor. So I called Dell Tech, and this guy was one of the 1 in 4 that was actually very helpful. He did a remote repair of my computer, and I didn't have to reinstall anything. He also went in and deleted some background files with me, such as google desktop, google updates, and google earth, pikasa, and a couple of others that I don't use but came with the machine. He also turned off the screensaver that was interfering with my dvd media center (would come on when watching a movie), and changed the automatic updates.

I forgot to ask him about the extra GB, because it took more than an hour and we were busy.

Now today, it seems fine, but of course a little slow, but not as before. It is still early yet, so we shall see. This is still a fairly new computer for me (I ordered in June, and finally received in August from Dell). I have not done a lot of work on it yet, so there is not much to lose with upgrades, etc. But, that will start to change very soon, as I receive more freelance work. So, I have a window of opportunity to get it right now, so that I can focus on my work with minimal hassles.

I will start to look at the upgrade memory on Dell's site, or anywhere else you guys recommend. That will then cause a new short-term issue, because I don't know how to do this, have never done so, and don't know about the implications (I think I need to save everything off of my computer, right?).

Anyway, I kind of helpless on these matters, but it is a learned helplessness because I was so spoiled, because I went to a techie university and had techie friends that would just take care of it for me within hours, and it was fun for them and great for me!

Thanks so, so much for all of your help. I will return to this thread again and again for reference. Please let me know whatever suggestions you have for the memory upgrade.

Kat

He also went in and deleted some background files with me, such as google desktop, google updates, and google earth, pikasa, and a couple of others that I don't use but came with the machine. He also turned off the screensaver that was interfering with my dvd media center (would come on when watching a movie), and changed the automatic updates.

Kat, I'm glad you got some positive results.

As for screensavers, they don't really "save" your screen. The only way to "save" your screen is by disabling the hoizontal & vertical guns that shoot electrons to your screen. This can be done in Windows by setting the "turn off monitor" setting to x minutes. Also, many viruses use the screensaver file extension of ".scr" & it is therefore not wise, for 2 reasons, to use a screensaver.

This is roughly how it looks after removing the little cover on the bottom of your notebook.

xps2-memory_install05.jpg

If there's a single DIMM (chip) in there then you just need to purchase a second DDR2 667 module

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdet...p;mfgpid=124926

If there are two DIMM in there then you need to replace them with a pair of the above

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdet...p;mfgpid=124926