The 6000 Baht Holland Guy

mahjongguy

You've seen this guy? Mid-30's farang sitting on Silom Road with a sign saying "out of money, need 6000 baht for airfare".

First time was nearly two years ago. He was at the Skybridge going into Silom Complex. I walked right past him but my Thai friend said I should be sympathetic to my fellow farang. So I walked back and spoke with him for a minute. Like nearly everyone in this country he had a "story". Fool that I was, I gave him a generous amount.

Of course, he's still around. :o

Sitting there with such a sign surely makes him a magnet for cops, so I assume his visa is in order. I guess he splits the donations between border runs and booze. I just wonder how he manages given the current tighter rules.

If you search hard enough you will find other threads about him.

Been around for ages as you say. Same as the French lady with child needing money to get to airport and tax fee paying.

There used to be a couple of European dossers on the corner of Sukhumvit soi 4 about 8 years ago begging. One German guy had obviously seen better days, barefoot with sores on leg's and a wonderful alkie purple nose.

That was a kind gesture. I've seen people who honestly ran into some temporary trouble

and it's sad how most folks can't pry 100 baht out of their wallet when it matters but have

no problem blowing a few thousand at the a-go-go. Nature of the place I suppose.

The tighter rules aren't bothering the people working illegally or engaged in nefarious

activites. They can just go buy an "ED" visa. It's the normal folks who seem to be

coming under increased scrutiny. They should just ask you to supply a few character

references from local Thais, that would make more sense than the 10 second assessment

that you get at the immigration office from the aahhh, special investigator in charge. :o

You've seen this guy? Mid-30's farang sitting on Silom Road with a sign saying "out of money, need 6000 baht for airfare".

First time was nearly two years ago. He was at the Skybridge going into Silom Complex. I walked right past him but my Thai friend said I should be sympathetic to my fellow farang. So I walked back and spoke with him for a minute. Like nearly everyone in this country he had a "story". Fool that I was, I gave him a generous amount.

Sitting there with such a sign surely makes him a magnet for cops, so I assume his visa is in order. I guess he splits the donations between border runs and booze. I just wonder how he manages given the current tighter rules.

Yeah, old story but he can't fly far for 6.000 Baht, can he, let alone Holland... ?

LaoPo

That was a kind gesture. I've seen people who honestly ran into some temporary trouble

and it's sad how most folks can't pry 100 baht out of their wallet when it matters but have

no problem blowing a few thousand at the a-go-go. Nature of the place I suppose.

The tighter rules aren't bothering the people working illegally or engaged in nefarious

activites. They can just go buy an "ED" visa. It's the normal folks who seem to be

coming under increased scrutiny. They should just ask you to supply a few character

references from local Thais, that would make more sense than the 10 second assessment

that you get at the immigration office from the aahhh, special investigator in charge. :o

I have seen plenty of people taking care on genuine cases ie guys hospital bill's etc.

Nearly all the time they have known them though - just too many hard luck stories to give to people if you do not know it's for real.

he was at prom pong BTS the other day.

Yeah, I think he might be the same guy that got 300bhat from some Thai girls and then later asked them (the very same ones who gave him the money): how much for a short-time?

There are Thai beggars and there are farang beggars.

Is that guy still doing business ?

There was indeed another topic , awhile ago about this guy , somebody got the link ?

I thought he was on you tube also........

Unbelievable he is still begging out there , oh yeah I remember now that he clearly had

a drug addict face , face in a million . I suppose that's why he needs the money for.........

He should get his plane ticket for definitely ............

Yeah, I think he might be the same guy that got 300bhat from some Thai girls and then later asked them (the very same ones who gave him the money): how much for a short-time?

Smoooth.

So, what was their reply?

he is providing a service (making people feel better about themselves by giving him money, like an actor). of course, his sign is deceitful. he shouldn't lie, he should just sit there with a cup. anyways, in a few years living in bangkok ive seen him maybe 6-7 times, so he must really put the hours in.

there was a homeless farang living in siam square but i haven't seen him recently. he looks like he was in really bad shape. clothes were rags, etc.

BKKmadness posted a vid on here, search or PM him.

Oh on second thoughts, someone in their wisdom banned him so PMing is not an option :o

He dared to dissagree with and question the intentions of another here. :D

I saw him at JJ Market a few weeks ago, he had an audience of about six who were also supplying him with food and coffee
saw him in silom the other day. Next time I will have the police check his visa. I hate to see him "take" money from thai beggars. After all he can go home Holland.

What a fall from grace for old bkkmadness :D

i am just glad it isnt me...........

degrading myself to beg, lie or play the outcast fool.

or just be as he is............

in any case.......

isnt there any salvation army around in thailand to sort these people out?

post-28792-1192879410.jpg

God you are the most annoying poster, don't post ridiculous statements unless you are prepared to explain/defend them. JEALOUS OF WHAT?

Damian Mavis

Sorry had to laugh at your post. :D Just a suggestion. That particular poster inspired me so much on a few occasions, I found the following function on TV not long after they joined the forum :o . Just click "My Controls" towards the top right hand of your screen. After that, towards the bottom left under "Options" click "Manage Ignored Users", and select the poster of your choice. To date there's only one name in there, but this is what I now see:

----------------------------------

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: FarangNoi21.

· View this post

· Un-ignore FarangNoi21

----------------------------------

:D

Edited by fletchthai68

Oh on second thoughts, someone in their wisdom banned him so PMing is not an option :o

I saw him at JJ Market a few weeks ago, he had an audience of about six who were also supplying him with food and coffee
saw him in silom the other day. Next time I will have the police check his visa. I hate to see him "take" money from thai beggars. After all he can go home Holland.

he's just a con artist ...........

Smoooth.

So, what was their reply?

Obviously, they were quite angry and yelled at him, telling him that they just gave him the money a few hours ago. He was drinking a big bottle of beer. He just shrugged and walked away.

Apparently, no refund for being caught red-handed.

I spent a couple of days in Bangkok last week after returning from Samui and think I may have nearly been scammed there. After finishing breakfast in my hotel I was confronted by a French woman who was clearly panicked and out of breath. She said her husband had been beaten up that morning and they have no money. Said he was in hospital and she need 3500 THB to get to him. I asked if she had spoken with the police, hotel manager or embassy and she told me she refused to deal with Thais and that the embassy couldn't help. I went to get the hotel manager and she still asked every guest that left the breakfast room. The hotel manager went down to speak with her and she became quite irate and left the hotel. I'm such a softie but I still don't know if I did the right thing.... hopefully it was a con as I would hate to think I didn't help her :o

L

I spent a couple of days in Bangkok last week after returning from Samui and think I may have nearly been scammed there. After finishing breakfast in my hotel I was confronted by a French woman who was clearly panicked and out of breath. She said her husband had been beaten up that morning and they have no money. Said he was in hospital and she need 3500 THB to get to him. I asked if she had spoken with the police, hotel manager or embassy and she told me she refused to deal with Thais and that the embassy couldn't help. I went to get the hotel manager and she still asked every guest that left the breakfast room. The hotel manager went down to speak with her and she became quite irate and left the hotel. I'm such a softie but I still don't know if I did the right thing.... hopefully it was a con as I would hate to think I didn't help her :o

L

Don't worry, a con it most certainly was.