A Good Cook?

elsie

Actually, I don't really cook. I'm learning though. But is it a necessary qualification in a wife/gf to you guys? I've told the Darling I've been learning. I guess he's not convinced yet. I can make spaghetti now. My Mum tried and liked it. Not sure if she was just saying that. :o

It's not my number one priority that my wife needs to cook what about a man that knows how?? Is that strange?? My wife does know how to cook and she asked me is ok I Like Cook. :o I love how thai women speak

The Fun part is learning how to cook, You can say I made that and not some restaurant. I knew a guy he was married to a thai girl and what he heard from some other guy he knew was that thai women take care of their men.

well he had her doing everthing so pretty much she was a slave after a while that bit gets a little old she was a friend of my mom. Sorry going off thread

trip; No problem at all with opinions from Yanks. Nah.. you know I like you! :D

MaiC; I agree the learning part is fun. But it's not so much fun for me when whatever comes out of my effort looks pretty much like another disaster. Apart from that spaghetti, everything was a disaster. :o

It's sad some people (both men and women. Anyone who is anti everything please back off :D ) ended up being taken advantage of in marriage. The two should look after one another. Oh.. I think I should stop here before someone turns up here and slam his hate campaign against women into my face. :D

Hi LC I would'nt say it's "nessesary" but its nice, my wife is a good cook, although no where as near as good her mum!!

Although her mum only does Thai stuff and this is what we eat most evenings, my wife does like to cook but hates the day to day stuff, she's even pretty good at falang food, inc home made Bread and Pizza.

I dont expect to be looked after all the time and am a pretty good cook myself(when we eat falang food I usually cook) and think it is important that men know how to cook as well, and would certianaly teach my son if I had one.

"A good cook" - not essential, not really necessary, but probably desirable. I cook a lot of my farang food and teach the g/f at the same time. Getting the right equipment is a problem - an electric grill with adjustable temperature would be nice, an eye level gas grill even better.

The problem my g/f has with cooking hot farang food is getting everything ready and hot at the same time, for example: grilled lamb chops, gravy, peas and chips. Not easy with only two gas rings and a grill, but can be done if you concentrate. :o

I stick to what I'm good at (farang food) & himself sticks to what he's good at (thai food) I can't be bothered to cook thai as everytime I've tried in the past I've been laughed out of the kitchen :D Although he will admit that I make a pretty good omlette!

Zendesigner, now theres a blast from the past :o

I stick to what I'm good at (farang food) & himself sticks to what he's good at (thai food) I can't be bothered to cook thai as everytime I've tried in the past I've been laughed out of the kitchen :D  Although he will admit that I make a pretty good omlette!

Zendesigner, now theres a blast from the past :o

Likewise, I cook farang my wife cooks Thai :D

....errr that's when we bother to cook, restaurants are so good, and no washing up! :D

Cooking being a necessary qualification for a wife/Gf is outdated....

IMO cooking together is a much more enjoyable experience..., although I have to say my GF practically insists that she cook for me..... but I do not expect it, and always offer to do something to help..... I probably end up being more of a hinderance ! :o

I fortunately have been lucky enough to have married the best cook in the world. Both Thai and farang food. I have not met anybody in my life time that can cook nearly as good as my wife.I not saying other people food is not good, it's just not as good. No matter where we lived at or where we travel to everyone who has tried her food (especially thai) has said it is the best. She has had offers from a couple of people to to put up the money for her to open her own resturant.

Now with that being said, would I make it a necessary qualification to marry a girl. No I wouldn't, but it sure would be a bonus. :o

The down side to having a wife that is a good cook, is that everytime you go out to eat you feel like you just wasted your money because we could have stayed home to eat and had a better / cheapier meal.

Cheers guys. Should I aim for just an OK cook. At least, I should be able to do more than eggs and spaghetti. :o:D

Blonco and Padkapow made a good point. Could be a good excuse for me for not cooking.

Cheers D for putting up the link, I totally forgot about it. :D

Now which one is easier? Farang food or Thai food? I'm starting from zero anyway.

Cheers guys. Should I aim for just an OK cook. At least, I should be able to do more than eggs and spaghetti. :o:D

Blonco and Padkapow made a good point. Could be a good excuse for me for not cooking.

Cheers D for putting up the link, I totally forgot about it. :D

Now which one is easier? Farang food or Thai food? I'm starting from zero anyway.

At least you can cook spaghetti. After 8 years my tgf still can't tell when the spaghetti is cooked. Whips up a mean somtam though.

bronco Posted on Fri 2004-08-13, 00:12:55

Elsie I guess you may have figured my Strife is a good cook. As far as eating out she will never eat at a Thai restauraunt, cosiders it a waste of money and reckons food doesnt look good. 

My fella is the same Bronco, cause they couple of times we have eaten in a thai restaraunt here in the UK, fella has been unimpressed & now tells me not to bother as the food is not so good & the cost makes him feel uncomfortable. Better we eat at home & buy nice wine than spend 40 quid (2,800 baht) on 3 dishes & a couple of drinks!

I love a cheap date :o

I would say find something that you like to eat and then learn to cook it well to your taste....

Why does it have to be "farang food" or "Thai food"....why don't you do a Farang dish like spaghetti but add a Thai sauce instead.... when you are cooking you can be creative, it may not always work out too well but you may just find something that is your taste... just what you've been looking for.

totster :o

Good point, totster. I just felt a bit hopeless as even my scrambled eggs turned into a disaster. :o

Boo; I am all for cheap dates too. Saw the Darling paid over 6,000 THB on our first date on Christmas Eve. Now, that was insane. We couldn't even eat all the courses. :D

Good point, totster. I just felt a bit hopeless as even my scrambled eggs turned into a disaster. :o

If you have a microwave just stick the beaten eggs etc.. in a bowl and nuke it for about 2 mins or until it's not runny any more, chop it all up with a fork and voila.. perfect scambled eggs... can't get that wrong... i would hope !! :D:D

Totster Posted on Fri 2004-08-13, 16:33:48

QUOTE (LovelyCutie @ Fri 2004-08-13, 23:16:24)

Good point, totster. I just felt a bit hopeless as even my scrambled eggs turned into a disaster.

If you have a microwave just stick the beaten eggs etc.. in a bowl and nuke it for about 2 mins or until it's not runny any more, chop it all up with a fork and voila.. perfect scambled eggs... can't get that wrong... i would hope !!   

Thats how I do it too :D LC there are a million ways to cheat but if you ever end up living in the UK, theres always Marks & Spencers food hall :o

Cheers guys! Now it sounds so much easier! Jesus Christ.. I was doing exactly what's written in that bloody recipe. 3 out of 4 were.. erm.. well... hehehe.. I should try microwave tomorrow! :D

Boo; I'll keep that in mind. Sounds good to me. :D Even though living in London freaks me out a little bit.. Oh well, he will have to return to his homeland eventually anyway.. :o

I would say find something that you like to eat and then learn to cook it well to your taste....

Why does it have to be "farang food" or "Thai food"....why don't you do a Farang dish like spaghetti but add a Thai sauce instead.... when you are cooking you can be creative, it may not always work out too well but you may just find something that is your taste... just what you've been looking for.

totster :o

wouldn't be that much different from thai food :D

Marco polo actually brought rice noodles from china with him to italy, but since there was not a lot of rice growing in italy they used grain or wheat instead to make them , hence spaghetti and other pasta's.

SO maybe spaghetti is asian food after all...

lc you know you can turn to me for help in that department , Candy has alo been in touch many times.

I view anyone who can't cook as a bit suspicious. Everyone in my family can at least knock up a meal; men and women. It makes me wonder what people were doing in their childhoods. Don't now how to cook Thai though, so I'd stick to doing the English grub (I do a mean Cornish pastie) and leave the Thai to the Thai.

Yeah, I know the Cornish aren't actually English, but it's close enough. :o