Need Help About Penang

I'm making a visa run to penang this weekend, never been there and know nothing about the area.

Taking a train from Bangkok to Butterworth and from there who knows.

Know of any cheap safe places to stay at. Where is the counsalte located at. I was told it's all pretty simple there and that there will surley be other farangs that are making the run that have done it before.

All help would be appreciated.

KHUNDAN Sends

I stay at the Hotel Continental in Georgetown (not Grand Continental) 1000 baht a night, it has a pool which a lot of the hotels there dont.....if you do a google search it/ll turn up many more which you can book online, it really just depends on your budget. I personally dont go to the Consulate, i always use Parvez Travel to take my passport to the consulate and bring it back the next day for me, they charge 200 baht for the service....you/ll find them in front of the Swiss Hotel on Lebuh Chulia,never had any problems with them. I would suggest you change a bit of money at the border on the way down as you will need coins for the ferry and taxi to your hotel.......Parvez Travel will change money for you as well.........i take US Dollars with me to change. If you are going on the International Express and havnt booked already book the lower sleeper bunk rather than the upper bunk.......its a little bigger and has a window.

Thaiflyer1 has provided a very good overview, even including what was always my favorite hotel. There is very likely to be others on the train doing the same visa run so if you want company it should be available. If the border money exchange is closed (used to be on holidays) believe soda shop in Butterworth Station also does money exchange - as said you need a small coin for ferry and then some for taxi or pedicab to hotel. Hotel area is really only about a 15 minute walk so not far.

If you want to make the Consulate visit yourself - I would the first time so you know you can do it - any taxi will know how to get there and you should have him wait (get a round trip price) as it is a side street in mostly residential area. Application will only take a few minutes but be sure to have local money to pay visa fee.