Double-entry Tourist Visa.. Vientianne..

Just for the record. I just got back to Bkk tonight after applying for (and receiving) a double-entry Tourist Visa at the Thai consular in Vientianne, Laos..

Seems to be a 50/50 chance though. It appears applications lodged on Mondays will not get it. Don't ask why - seems to be just another one of those unexplainable things. Anyway, My application was put in on Thursday and I received it today.

Don't know if this is news to anyone, but thought it'd be worth a post to let anyone know.

(btw, I'm Australian and my passport was on the last two empty pages with every other page being cambodian visas, Thai single entry Tourist Visas and the corresponding quota of Thai transist 30 day entry stamps).

Just for the record. I just got back to Bkk tonight after applying for (and receiving) a double-entry Tourist Visa at the Thai consular in Vientianne, Laos..

In the year since the change of rules on October 1, 2006, you're the first person to report (on this forum) receiving a double-entry tourist visa from a neighboring consulate/embassy.

As you're a brand new member and you're reporting something very difficult to believe, is there any chance you could scan your visa and post it here as proof (leaving out all your personal details of course).

Not the first Tropo, "Marginline" got a double in Vientiane (report below).

double-entry story

Although I think he attributed it to having his own personal Thai liason who

was able to negotiate on his behalf. Also think there's a scan somewhere.

The contradictions (double-entry available but now difficult getting extensions)

Only makes the point more clear that immigration and embassies/consulates

have no clue what the other half is doing and policies are not in concert. :o

In the year since the change of rules on October 1, 2006, you're the first person to report (on this forum) receiving a double-entry tourist visa from a neighboring consulate/embassy.

As you're a brand new member and you're reporting something very difficult to believe, is there any chance you could scan your visa and post it here as proof (leaving out all your personal details of course).

Agreed.

Scan and post it. (This I gotta see...)

Umm... ok.. .. Well, to start with, I'm not a 'brand new' member if you care to check my registration date (February 2004). I check the forums from time to time but rarely post anything...

Secondly.. I'd love to verify my 'double-entry' Tourist Visa by the means you've suggested. Unfortuneately I don't have a scanner and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to go out of my way to scan it elsewhere for the sake of this.

Thirdly and lastly, I advise you all to take my post at face value, make of it as you wish. I'm simply reporting my situation and cannot think of any reason why anyone, myself included of course, would want to bother to post such a report with the intention of misleading others or giving incorrect information. .

Anyway, again (for the record) I may be the first person to report it here, but according to the guys I did my visa run with ... it has been a fairly common lottery with the double-entry visas over the last month or so. And again it appears to be people who had applied at the consulate on a Monday who have not been granted one.

ok.. idea just sprang to mind.. i will take a snap shot with my web cam..

pic attached... excuse the quality. i have a shitty cam. and i've run a black line through my passport number. but you should be able to make out that it is Vientianne, and it was 2000 baht, and it is a 'TWO' entry one....

ok... I hope that satisfies the sceptics.

Cheers..

and good luck to those who also venture to take the gamble.

FF.

post-7534-1192834618_thumb.jpg

Very interesting since I'm leaving for Vientiane tonight. Although I would like to try this on Monday I'm not sure what happens if they reject a double entry? Can I just apply for a single entry the next day as if nothing happened?

Very interesting since I'm leaving for Vientiane tonight. Although I would like to try this on Monday I'm not sure what happens if they reject a double entry? Can I just apply for a single entry the next day as if nothing happened?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the decision is made when you pay the money.. ie. 1000 for single or 2000 bath for double entry.

The procedure is you queue up in the morning (before 12pm) for lodging your application at an outside table.. they take your application (There is a tick box at the top of the form to specify what type of visa, eg, tourist, business, transit etc. - I ticked 'tourist' and under the girl's instruction who I lodged it with, wrote in words "DOUBLE" next to that box. Also on the form towards the bottom it also has the question: "Number of days of intended stay". Here i wrote '120' - figuring 2 x 60) . After lodging your form you are then sent inside to the cashier until your name is called to pay the fee..

That is all I can tell you. But I'm sure if they were to accept the 2000 baht fee for the double-entry visa, and then on the next day (pick-up day) you were to only have a single-entry, there would no doubt be a 1000 baht refund. But like I said, I imagine when you pay the fee of 2000 baht shortly after you've lodged your application, then you're probably going to get the double.

Also, I've been informed that applications lodged on a Monday (for whatever reasons) have been returning a zero success rate. ... other days a 30-50% success.. Based on what? Who knows? God (or Buddah) could probably answer this one. Not me..

Cheers

FF

That is all I can tell you. But I'm sure if they were to accept the 2000 baht fee for the double-entry visa, and then on the next day (pick-up day) you were to only have a single-entry, there would no doubt be a 1000 baht refund. But like I said, I imagine when you pay the fee of 2000 baht shortly after you've lodged your application, then you're probably going to get the double.

Does this mean that if they reject your application on a double tourist visa, they automatically change it to a single one without you having to re-doing the application?

Does this mean that if they reject your application on a double tourist visa, they automatically change it to a single one without you having to re-doing the application?

YES. They will collect THB 1,000.-only and on the next day you will have a single entry entry in your Passport.

Here's my two baht worth...I was also there in Vientianne doing visa stuff and although my story deals with a different situation it's still worth something to someone..I arrived Thursday morning and there were many people in line and lots of noise and confusion. The initial step was outside under a canopy as mentioned by the earlier post. What I wanted was a 90 day non-immigrant O to be extended later in Chiang Mai to my retirement visa extention. The character at the desk wanted the same paperwork as if I was doing the retirement visa then...bank statements, proof of income, etc. This caught me unaware and a little off guard and he had me change the app to a 60 day tourist visa. Then I went inside and eventually paid the 1000B,got my reciept and went on my way thinking that everything was cool,and that since I would be getting a tourist visa and not a simple "permission to stay" that I would be able to get the retirement visa extension as planned. Didn't have my copy of the police order #10 as I should have and it gnawed at my little brain all night...So earliy morning I went back (Friday morning) and found the guy who is in charge and drives the shiny Mercedes. I explained to him about MY LITTLE BRAIN and my confusion.Not theirs!! And then asked him if he would please help me as I did have EVERTHING but a bank statement including proof of my 90,000B approximate monthly income. With my apparent charm attached to my ever-present smile he said sure...I just had to cancel the first tourist visa, eat the first 1000B and resubmit a new one for the non-immigrant O,pay the 2000B for the new one and incredibly it was all done and ready for pickup at 1o'clock sharp THAT day and the smile continues....

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the decision is made when you pay the money.. ie. 1000 for single or 2000 bath for double entry.

The procedure is you queue up in the morning (before 12pm) for lodging your application at an outside table.. they take your application (There is a tick box at the top of the form to specify what type of visa, eg, tourist, business, transit etc. - I ticked 'tourist' and under the girl's instruction who I lodged it with, wrote in words "DOUBLE" next to that box. Also on the form towards the bottom it also has the question: "Number of days of intended stay". Here i wrote '120' - figuring 2 x 60) . After lodging your form you are then sent inside to the cashier until your name is called to pay the fee..

Also, I've been informed that applications lodged on a Monday (for whatever reasons) have been returning a zero success rate. ... other days a 30-50% success.. Based on what? Who knows? God (or Buddah) could probably answer this one. Not me..

Cheers

FF

Hi Friendly,

Thanks for your information which is valuable...

i've some questions for you :

i've lived here 4 years on a Non Imm O visa as i was married to a Thai woman ; Since we are divorced i also have to go now for a Tourist visa ; In 1 week my first 2 + 1 month tourist visa will be expired which i got in Penang ;

Now with what you write here i of course will try to get a DOUBLE in Vientiane...

What i would like to know : If you get a double tourist visa (120 D), when do you apply for the (first) extention ? is it after your first 60 days ? Or can you stay here for 120 days and then apply for a double extention of 60 days ?

For some people on this forum this may seem a strange question, but i have no experience with this...

So thanks in advance !

Robin

Hi everyone,

On Tuesday 9th Oct., I applied for a double entry in Vientiane, and on the next day I got it.

This for the sceptics - I don't understand why people allege that someone has told them a lie?! :o

so its two months + month extension X2 ?

What i would like to know : If you get a double tourist visa (120 D), when do you apply for the (first) extention ? is it after your first 60 days ? Or can you stay here for 120 days and then apply for a double extention of 60 days ?

You can only receive one 30 day extension of stay on a tourist visa entry so it would be 60 + 30 extension and then exit/enter repeat.

You can only receive one 30 day extension of stay on a tourist visa entry so it would be 60 + 30 extension and then exit/enter repeat.

Thanks Lopburi !

Robin

Hi everyone,

On Tuesday 9th Oct., I applied for a double entry in Vientiane, and on the next day I got it.

This for the sceptics - I don't understand why people allege that someone has told them a lie?! :o

Scepticism is good. Due to the anonymous nature of an Internet forum it pays to be sceptical about everything one reads.

A long time ago I applied for a Non -Im B in Hong Kong. It was refused and a TR was given with a refund for the difference ....

I would guess that the Immigration officer in Laos pocketed the 1000 baht he'd already paid for the TV.

It's a quick earn for the officer, and the applicant was still more than happy with the outcome. It's a win-win situation.

A long time ago I applied for a Non -Im B in Hong Kong. It was refused and a TR was given with a refund for the difference ....
I would guess that the Immigration officer in Laos pocketed the 1000 baht he'd already paid for the TV. It's a quick earn for the officer, and the applicant was still more than happy with the outcome. It's a win-win situation.

:D yeah! Corruption is still a win-win situation for everybody and everywhere... :o