Help You Visa Gurus!

Here's the situation........

I have a non imm "o" with a Thai wife and child

I am under 50

I earn and pay tax on well over 1M baht a year BUT

I don't have a full time work permit, only for the time I work which is around 3 months at a time.

The "helpful" member of staff at Pattaya imm said, no work permit, no visa extention, must leave every 90 days!!

According to him, I can earn 100 million baht in 6 months and pay tax but it does not qualify as the 40k per month!!??

I throw it open to you guys for ideas/comment/advice!!!!!

Edited by andyadam

Freelance, hmm. How about making an agency - through which you are hired - together with your wife? Let your wife be manager, agent or whatever at a salary of 40,000 baht a month.

Would mean setting up a company and getting a WP throuh the company, I work all over Thailand which would cause problems with the WP, when I'm employed the WP comes through the film board so get a bit of leaway!!!

Not to mention paying tax twice!!!!

Edited by andyadam

Would mean setting up a company and getting a WP throuh the company...

Not a given thing. Your wife could run the agency as sole proprietor and you don't necessarily need to have any more work permits than those provided by the film board. The key point is that it's your wife's income that enters the equation with respect to extension.

As for tax - in the simple case - were you are not directly employed by the agency which thus don't need to meet requirements for employing foreigners - it depends on whether your employers will be willing to split their payments between you and the agency.

If on the other hand - you want to be directly employed by the agency (so that you get a monthly salary - deducted as an expense) --- well, the law allows you to have more than one work permit at the same time so nothing prevents the film board from continuing to provide their work permits for out-of-office engagements.