And Then It Rained......

Tadam.I woke up! Gosh, this is just the monsoon,havent you all heard about this phenomen? There is no bad wheather just bad clothes.

Drive slowly even if its your ordinary path or better, stay home if you not can live with the conditions you face at the moment.

:D Holy Moly...where on earth have you been ?

You signed up more than 4 years ago and this is your first post...??? :D

Welcome !

LaoPo :o

Never seen such dedication. Been waiting all this time for his big moment.

And this is it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a good website that has radar coverage? I go to this one but a lot of times it doesn't update. The last time this was updated was on 10 October.

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/surat.html

I have to click on the Phuket 240 one to get an idea of the rain clouds above.

Any others out there?

This radar pic works now. Updated every hour on the half-hour. Add 7 hours to the time displayed as we are 7 hours ahead of UTC.

What is a good website that has radar coverage? I go to this one but a lot of times it doesn't update. The last time this was updated was on 10 October.

<a href="http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/surat.html" target="_blank">http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/surat.html</a>

I have to click on the Phuket 240 one to get an idea of the rain clouds above.

Any others out there?

This radar pic works now. Updated every hour on the half-hour. Add 7 hours to the time displayed as we are 7 hours ahead of UTC.

I am so confused. 7 Hours? Which way are the clouds heading Paul.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149501

Quote...........On the tourist island of Samui, downpours in the past few days have caused floods on a portion of the ring roads encircling the island. However, the municipality can drain water from areas near tourist beaches -- Chaweng and Lamai beaches -- so there are no flood problems there.

Roo,

The time displayed on that radar page is the Universal Coordinated Time at the time of the picture. It's taken at the same time here. Basically just think of it as a different time zone. If add 7 hours to the time on that picture of the radar that will tell the time it was here when they took it.

It was Nov. 25th 2005 that we marked as the day of samui floods however the rains leading up to that day were very much like the current weather i.e. day in and day out for several day in a row.

There has been work done on the roads and it is obivious in many areas including the lake road as the lake has yet to flood into the road, the stretch of road in front of central hotel has stayed drained, and some of the ring road is not flooding where it once did.

The ghost road has been in dire need of repair for years but as long as the heavy trucks travel it and they continue to use sand to fill in the holes it will be a lost cause, left to the locals who use it.

where I see the most pooling of water is typically where there has been new construction since Nov. 05. hmmm maybe this is a clue that new construction drainage should be inspected and regulated. When land is cleared on a hill it does create a river bed in rains like these.

I for one am very concerned that this weather is shaping up to be a repeat of 2005. :o

hi there, btw, it is not Sawasdee .com but a villa company. After our shouts yesterday, the agent had two of their staff up here mid afternoon !!! they saw this website.....a neighbour in the next villa also came round with exactly the same problem, so a new route was found around a boatyard to avoid the 3 feet of water....got down the hill and arranged for two 4 wheel drives to rent !!! this morning we have a much brighter day, so lets hope that things can only get better.....thank you Samuicoconut!!!

hi there, btw, it is not Sawasdee .com but a villa company. After our shouts yesterday, the agent had two of their staff up here mid afternoon !!! they saw this website.....a neighbour in the next villa also came round with exactly the same problem, so a new route was found around a boatyard to avoid the 3 feet of water....got down the hill and arranged for two 4 wheel drives to rent !!! this morning we have a much brighter day, so lets hope that things can only get better.....thank you Samuicoconut!!!

its stopped raining and the sun is out ,for now anyway :o

Here are some pix that give you an idea how the road looks in front of Wat Plai Laem.post-12697-1193186298_thumb.jpg post-12697-1193186416_thumb.jpg

The second picture is near to where I live and the problem is not just the water, but the sand under the surface. One car was bogged down in it this morning and I saw a number of bikes ride into the water too quickly and come to a very sudden halt.

This picture from Laem Din at 08.45 this morning. The water came over my bonnet at one point.

post-24425-1193198584_thumb.jpg

Here are some pix that give you an idea how the road looks in front of Wat Plai Laem.post-12697-1193186298_thumb.jpg post-12697-1193186416_thumb.jpg

The second picture is near to where I live and the problem is not just the water, but the sand under the surface. One car was bogged down in it this morning and I saw a number of bikes ride into the water too quickly and come to a very sudden halt.

This picture from Laem Din at 08.45 this morning. The water came over my bonnet at one point.

Lamai ring road flooded as in 2005.

New drainage does not seem to have improved the situation.

Last night's thunder was amazing.

The ghost road has been in dire need of repair for years but as long as the heavy trucks travel it and they continue to use sand to fill in the holes it will be a lost cause, left to the locals who use it.

Here Maccaroni man actually bring up something else. Why are the heavy trucks even aloud to drive there? I ubderstand the few that need to go to a construction along the way, but i get the feeling a lot of them are just taking a "short cut".

The Gohst road is to small for trucks. Everytime you meet one its trouble. And they go "full speed" taking more than their half of the road and just force normal cars of the way. A like you said, destroy the road aswell.

Id say a first step in making the gohst road better would be to forbid the heavy trucks.

Samui Res,

Both pix are taken within meters of each other!

Lamai ring road flooded as in 2005.

New drainage does not seem to have improved the situation.

Last night's thunder was amazing.

The curious thing about water is that it is running towards a lower point when there is a slope and a way to reach the lower point.

Many drainages are improving the situation on the higher point of the road, but water just runs through the drainage to flood the lower areas of the ring road. Maybe somebody can teach the Tessaban about these principles.

"the never ending story from samui"

...actual pics from today (Lamai,Chaweng,Lake)

the same story as in 2005? :o

enjoy the pictures and stay at home in a dry room,

if you want to go outside.....rent a small boat :D

or better buy a hoovercraft and go shopping in Chaweng on the beachroad :D

chook dee khrap...

Chayaphum

post-51795-1193243335_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243382_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243409_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243444_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243479_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243506_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243591_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243628_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243652_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243694_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243746_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243785_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193243820_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1193244054_thumb.jpg

chook dee khrap...

Chayaphum

anymore rain and the lake in chaweng will brst its banks ,the walkway and the buildings alone the edge are under a metre or so of water .............

chook dee khrap...

Chayaphum

Thanks Chayaphum, for the pics.

Feel sad for the tourists but above all for the people trying to make a living and working on Samui.

The first pic shows a sign for this resort in Lamai.... :D how cruel can reality be ?

http://www.samuisandsea.com/

So sorry.

LaoPo

chook dee khrap...

Chayaphum

Can you tell me where to buy a hoovercraft please, will it suck all the rainwater out of my garden?

:D

Anyone give any news about Bang Por / Mae Nam flooding? Had to leave my bike in Mae Nam but would like to get it back to Nathon asap before the rain starts again! My bike is particularly unhappy about driving through water where other bikes seem to have no problems so the water level needs to be pretty low....

Any news greatly appreciated!

Anyone give any news about Bang Por / Mae Nam flooding? Had to leave my bike in Mae Nam but would like to get it back to Nathon asap before the rain starts again! My bike is particularly unhappy about driving through water where other bikes seem to have no problems so the water level needs to be pretty low....

Any news greatly appreciated!

Drove through Maenam this morning, still a couple of spots where it's flooded. Maybe get a mate to transport bike for you on a pick up,wouldn't be such a bad idea.

according to windguru we are in for a large volume of rain tomorrow.

enjoy.....

273 mm for the day wow, over 11 inches.

cant do antmore damage than its already done :o

Forecast has changed, not as much rain expected.

...if it's rainin', it's rainin'... :o

It's Monsoon Season, it's not the first time that it is like this, but we tend to forget this !

As it has been said here before: "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing or no good equipment!"

And then, what do we expect?

Ever more landfills, ever more concrete, ever more "development"... these are the fruits we are harvesting!

Wonder why they don't open the floodgate from the reservoir, to let some of the accumulated water run off?

Ahh...wel... it is just another case of TiT!