And Then It Rained......

...if it's rainin', it's rainin'... :o

It's Monsoon Season, it's not the first time that it is like this, but we tend to forget this !

As it has been said here before: "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing or no good equipment!"

And then, what do we expect?

Ever more landfills, ever more concrete, ever more "development"... these are the fruits we are harvesting!

Wonder why they don't open the floodgate from the reservoir, to let some of the accumulated water run off?

Ahh...wel... it is just another case of TiT!

they like the lake full ,anyway doubt they can remember how to open it .

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for hijacking this thread... but seeing that this is bout the closest relating on what I need to enquire. Thanks in advance. :D

I'm planning a drive trip to Samui during the coming 2009 CNY (24th Jan to 31st Jan). I've done some searching online and read that Dec to Mar is usually the dry season. Can I safely say that end Jan is a very safe period to be driving to Samui?

The last thing I want, is to get caught in a flood in Thailand and requiring a major overhaul on a hyrdo-locked engine. :o

I'll be driving all the way from Singapore, so if anyone is knowledgeable on the weather in southern thailand and foresee adverse weather conditions during that time, please sound off as well. :D

Thanks for all your feedback & assistance.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for hijacking this thread... but seeing that this is bout the closest relating on what I need to enquire. Thanks in advance. :D

I'm planning a drive trip to Samui during the coming 2009 CNY (24th Jan to 31st Jan). I've done some searching online and read that Dec to Mar is usually the dry season. Can I safely say that end Jan is a very safe period to be driving to Samui?

The last thing I want, is to get caught in a flood in Thailand and requiring a major overhaul on a hyrdo-locked engine. :o

I'll be driving all the way from Singapore, so if anyone is knowledgeable on the weather in southern thailand and foresee adverse weather conditions during that time, please sound off as well. :D

Thanks for all your feedback & assistance.

Cheers.

You'll be fine then, but just don't come now... :D

Cheers.

Car electrics are pretty well sealed nowadays so unless the air filter intake is submerged in water you are unlikely to get hydro-lock, so don't go driving thru too many 3 feet deep streams

Cheers.

Car electrics are pretty well sealed nowadays so unless the air filter intake is submerged in water you are unlikely to get hydro-lock, so don't go driving thru too many 3 feet deep streams

That can be a problem when driving through the floods becomes a necessity to get home or to work. :D

I know three different people who had ~80K bills to fix their flood-damaged engines last year (two had to be taken to Surat Thani)- no fun at all. :D

Lamai ringroad already well flooded.

How is Chaweng / Maenam ?

Improved drainage desperately needed.

I was in Samui three years ago, same problem, whole Island flooded, went on for weeks. Thais wont spend money on infrastructure... Glad I left, Samui was and is now a toilet.... Good riddance to the place and the corrupt administration there.

I was in Samui three years ago, same problem, whole Island flooded, went on for weeks. Thais wont spend money on infrastructure... Glad I left, Samui was and is now a toilet.... Good riddance to the place and the corrupt administration there.

Well enjoy yourself in Chiang Mai.Having left 3 years ago,does that still entitle you to make a comment on what the state of the island is?Samui is a toilet? Well I guess we flushed & it all went to Chiang Mai.

Edited by Rooo

This post is a classic example why you should´nt post about a place you left 3 years ago.

This years heavy rain showed flooding in Ban rak village wich never flooded before they rebuilded the road and drainingsystem. :o .

I heard yesterday (ok, just rumor) that the draining was never finished. They never did the part that leads to the sea!

Otherwise same areas as usual. Before maenam, bophut lights and so on. Took them to long to put in the pumps this time. The maenam flood was actually over the hood on my car before they started pumping the water out.

Anyway, today seems to be a sunny day. :D

Did your car survive? I would believe that your intake would have been way submerged if the water level was past your hood's height.

Thanks guys for your feedback... so end Jan 2009 , here I come. :D

This post is a classic example why you should´nt post about a place you left 3 years ago.

This years heavy rain showed flooding in Ban rak village wich never flooded before they rebuilded the road and drainingsystem. :o .

I heard yesterday (ok, just rumor) that the draining was never finished. They never did the part that leads to the sea!

Otherwise same areas as usual. Before maenam, bophut lights and so on. Took them to long to put in the pumps this time. The maenam flood was actually over the hood on my car before they started pumping the water out.

Anyway, today seems to be a sunny day. :D

Did your car survive? I would believe that your intake would have been way submerged if the water level was past your hood's height.

Yep, no problems, it´s alive and kicking!

It was over the hood at the deepest part, only seconds. It was never below the bumper though so you are all the time ready for the car to die. Amazingly it never does. :o

• 1 month later...
The raining stopped mid December as usual.

greensmilies-024.gif

You must have been off the island the week around Christmas, eh? The sun just came back out the other day.

Nope, a quick shower everyday around X-mas here.

Could have been more locally.