Overland Between Bangkok, Phuket And Koh Samui - Realistic Or Not

whizgig

Hi all - newbie here,

I have 3 weeks booked for a first time trip to Thailand and have 4 nights in Phuket booked. I was thinking of getting overnight sleeper to Surit Thani then a bus to Phuket. The bus is a 6 hour trip.

I am then looking at going to Koh Samui, but quite like the idea of getting there by boat from Surit Thani. This means getting back on the bus. Anyone done this or have an idea whether it would be a real pain to do that trip twice?

From Koh Samui I'd fly back to Bangkok, although I might use my last week to have a look at Pattaya.

Thanks for any useful comments.

Hi all - newbie here,

I have 3 weeks booked for a first time trip to Thailand and have 4 nights in Phuket booked. I was thinking of getting overnight sleeper to Surit Thani then a bus to Phuket. The bus is a 6 hour trip.

I am then looking at going to Koh Samui, but quite like the idea of getting there by boat from Surit Thani. This means getting back on the bus. Anyone done this or have an idea whether it would be a real pain to do that trip twice?

From Koh Samui I'd fly back to Bangkok, although I might use my last week to have a look at Pattaya.

Thanks for any useful comments.

Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure it's a proper coach and not a minibus however as leg room can be lacking in a minbus.

It may be better to go to Samui first and then travel to Phuket afterwards as I could be wrong but I think its a lot more expensive to fly to Bangkok from Samui.

Once you are in Surat Thani, I also think it is better to start in Samui, than to take the busride twice. I find 3+ hours busrides a big pain in the ass, not literally only :o

I also agree, plane tickets are cheaper from Phuket to fly to BKK( but cost be important to you).

Once you are in Surat Thani, I also think it is better to start in Samui, than to take the busride twice. I find 3+ hours busrides a big pain in the ass, not literally only :o

I also agree, plane tickets are cheaper from Phuket to fly to BKK( but cost be important to you).

Well trouble is I've booked the hotel in Phuket already and the one on Samui was fully booked any earlier. I initially thought of Phuket as I really wanted to see the Andaman coast and go kayaking in Ag Phang Nga bay (sp?). The difference between flying from Phu or Samui to BKK I think isn't really important, its all about hotel bookings and availability. I really don't like turning up somewhere with nowhere to stay so I booked the place in Phuket for 4 days and then started thinking about Samui. Maybe I should just fly to Samui? I kind of thought it would be nice to arrive by boat though.

Well trouble is I've booked the hotel in Phuket already and the one on Samui was fully booked any earlier. I initially thought of Phuket as I really wanted to see the Andaman coast and go kayaking in Ag Phang Nga bay (sp?). The difference between flying from Phu or Samui to BKK I think isn't really important, its all about hotel bookings and availability. I really don't like turning up somewhere with nowhere to stay so I booked the place in Phuket for 4 days and then started thinking about Samui. Maybe I should just fly to Samui? I kind of thought it would be nice to arrive by boat though.

can be done very easy but flying is the best way ,the flight from bkk -phuket isnt all that expensive the samui -bkk is though unless you take the 1st or last flight ,then its only 2620b ..

Unless you're a train junkie or totally skint, skip the slow rails.. why not take the VIP bus from Bangkok straight to Phuket ?

They have full reclining chairs, blankets, pillows etc.. and there's an attendant on board serving hot drinks and snacks (they stop regularly also)

I joined this service at Hua Hin once. very comfortable and hassle free

and it aint gonna break the bank either..

Air-Con-VIP-Bus.jpg

my choice (if i didn't have the car) everytime

Edited by Goshawk

Unless you're a train junkie or totally skint, skip the slow rails.. why not take the VIP bus from Bangkok straight to Phuket ?

They have full reclining chairs, blankets, pillows etc.. and there's an attendant on board serving hot drinks and snacks (they stop regularly also)

Air-Con-VIP-Bus.jpg

Hey, that looks like a good idea - do you know where in BKK I'd need to get onboard.

Also how long does that take?

Hey, that looks like a good idea - do you know where in BKK I'd need to get onboard.

Southern Bus Station, Bangkok (i believe, like i say i joined this service in Hua Hin)

cost around 800 baht, journey 12-14 hours.

You might need to book maybe a day before you travel (arranged most anywhere in BKK, preferably the bus station itself - an easy tuk tuk, meter taxi ride there), there's only 24 seats on these VIP air-con beauties, and they're popular but frequent.

make sure it's the proper government VIP bus (photo) you take going from the Bus Station

Air-Con-VIP-Bus.jpg

I would propbably say the opposite (sorry goshawk)... I caught the overnight 2nd class sleeper from Surat (Phun Phin) to BKK and loved it... you get to see a different side of Thai life to the bus (everyone is just asleep on the bus)... Hawkers getting on at every stop and shouting all through the night... comming into BKK through the outer areas, with all he commuters catching the commuter trains that we never normally see... fares and timetable info available here

For buses, you need to catch them from the Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai),in BKK timetable and fare info available here . 755 baht, 13 hours.

DO NOT CATCH ANY BUSES TOUTED, SOLD, ARRIVING AT OR PICKING UP FROM KAO SAN ROAD.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Daewoo

a mate of mine did phuket to samui on bus/boat - said is was fine.

a fraction of the cost of flying bearing in mind domestic flights to/from samui can only be done through bangkok airways.

iirc my mate paid about B400 for the bus/boat. flights are approx B2600 HKT-USM not including transport to/from airport.

Thanks a lot everyone. The coach looks like a good idea as its a direct journey. I'm in BK for 3 nights so I'll book the coach my first full day there.

I'd normally prefer a train but as I'd then have to get the bus from Surit Thani to Phuket I might as well go the direct way on the coach, then I don't have to go between Surit Thani and Phuket twice when moving on to KS.

Getting to Samui then looks good with the shared mini-bus/boat combo. Seems it will save money and let me see more of the country. Probably spend 5/6 days in Samui then up to Pattaya for my last week before heading back home.

I wasn't going to book anywhere in Pattaya before getting there. Will it be ok to get half decent 3star accommodation with a pool if I just turn up in the 3rd week in Jan?

I wasn't going to book anywhere in Pattaya before getting there. Will it be ok to get half decent 3star accommodation with a pool if I just turn up in the 3rd week in Jan?

Yes.

Bon voyage...

I see from one of your previous posts that you have already booked a hotel for phuket - wise move.

I can't comment on pattaya availability but phuket hotels will be seriously busy in january.

You say you will be turning up in Pattaya during the 3rd week of January. You are coming for a 3 week holiday. Therefore, by implication you are arriving in Thailand just before or just after the New year. Be warned, this is the busiest time of the year and seat availability between Bangkok and the south of Thailand may be very limited.

Four years ago I tried to travel south from Hua Hin to Krabi during the first week of January. I had not booked before arrival in Hua Hin. I could not obtain a train booking until after the second week of January and all coaches were fully booked too. It took me a couple of days (and 2 nights waiting by the coach stop in the centre of town) to find a coach with a spare seat and I arrived at the hotel in Krabi - Ao Nang one and a half days late!

My advice is to book early to avoid disappointment. A couple of days before travel may not be early enough.

P.S. You should enjoy the boat trip across to Samui although you should note that the ferry terminals are some 70 to 90 kilometers further east of Surathani.

Be warned, this is the busiest time of the year and seat availability between Bangkok and the south of Thailand may be very limited.

That is good advice as well.

I had the same issue, we wanted to get to Surat a couple of days after Christmas, and there was no bus, train, plane, or even hire car until about the 10th of January when all the Thais who head 'home' for the Christmas break head back to Bangkok.

Be careful of Minibuses... they are very cramped compared to VIP Government Buses, the drivers are maniacs and often drugged up... The Government VIP Buses really are the safe and sane method to get around.

How about Bus BKK - HKT - Bus HKT - Surat or Chumpon - Ferry Surat to Samui or Chumpon to Koh Tao - Ferry Samui to Surat, Overnight Train Surat to BKK.

You should seriously consider skipping Pattaya and extending your stay in either Samui or Phuket.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Be warned, this is the busiest time of the year and seat availability between Bangkok and the south of Thailand may be very limited.

That is good advice as well.

I had the same issue, we wanted to get to Surat a couple of days after Christmas, and there was no bus, train, plane, or even hire car until about the 10th of January when all the Thais who head 'home' for the Christmas break head back to Bangkok.

Be careful of Minibuses... they are very cramped compared to VIP Government Buses, the drivers are maniacs and often drugged up... The Government VIP Buses really are the safe and sane method to get around.

How about Bus BKK - HKT - Bus HKT - Surat or Chumpon - Ferry Surat to Samui or Chumpon to Koh Tao - Ferry Samui to Surat, Overnight Train Surat to BKK.

You should seriously consider skipping Pattaya and extending your stay in either Samui or Phuket.

Cheers,

Daewoo

THanks for the advice regards coach booking to PHU from BKK. I might try to do that in the next few weeks then.

Why do you say I should skip Pattaya?

I've got 4 nights on PHU booked ( 4 - 8 Jan )then I've currently got 3 nights on Samui booked (8 - 10 Jan.) so I can't really stay longer on PHU. If I don't like the accomm. on KS I'll move but was thinking of staying on Samui for about 1 week. I was going to book an open ended flight on BKK Airways from KS to Pat. so I could leave when I want before coming home. My return flight is on 20 Jan so I thought I'd head up to Pattaya on about 14 Jan. from there I'd get a taxi to BKK airport on the 20th rather then spending more money on an expensive hotel in BKK on 19th before flying back.

Should I also book the flight from KS to Pat. earlier or wait until I get there? If it turned out there was more on PHU I wanted to see/do then I suppose I could go back but not if I book a flight up to Pat. from KS before I go.

Thanks a lot everyone. The coach looks like a good idea as its a direct journey. I'm in BK for 3 nights so I'll book the coach my first full day there.

I'd normally prefer a train but as I'd then have to get the bus from Surit Thani to Phuket I might as well go the direct way on the coach, then I don't have to go between Surit Thani and Phuket twice when moving on to KS.

Getting to Samui then looks good with the shared mini-bus/boat combo. Seems it will save money and let me see more of the country. Probably spend 5/6 days in Samui then up to Pattaya for my last week before heading back home.

I think it's a mistake not flying from BKK to Phuket. VIP bus is 999 Baht and all night little or no sleep. one2go one way is 1750 and takes a little over an hour. No contest.

personally, I would always fly a distance of BKK-HKT. I'm usually only in the country for 3-4 weeks at a time and don't like wasting my time travelling.

if you're only on a 3 week holiday then you've got to decide if you want to spend one of your nights on a bus or pay the extra to fly. :o