Tupong

Chuckler

Occasionally, when I'm in my darker moods, my fiancee describes me as "tupong".

When I'm especially crabby, I get it twice "tupong tupong".

(Don't worry - I'm not a grouch all the time - these are rare instances promise :o )

Whilst I understand their general meaning, can anyone shed anything further into the meaning of these words?

Just a punt here, but could it be Tup = opaque and Neung= one.

Dont worry far more educated people will be along to sort it out soon :D

For what it's worth, the "tup" is up high, and the "pong" is low. She pronounces the "tup" part more "too" than "tup" although the "high Thai" I learn at school seldom helps me understand her Thai ... :o ... maybe a few more months study is required :D

Thanks for your suggestion.

Told you the clever ones would be along soon

ตุปัดตุป่อง

dtupat-dtupong.

means putting on a big show of being sulky

they havent showed up yet , but i'm sure they will.

new word for me too , and a good one too.

i like those alliterative word pairs.

I don't agree here Tax.

I'd say it meant like to do something without wanting to do it. maybe 'peevishly', 'reluctantly', 'pertinaciously'.

I guess the expert will sort us out.

Edited by Neeranam

I don't know this word, and I don't know who you'd be referring to with 'the expert' - it wouldn't be me anyways, I'm just an intermediate learner who doesn't spend enough time with his Thai books anymore...

But anyways, wouldn't both meanings be able to fit for the same word? If you do something but make it obvious you are not happy about doing it, isn't it both a 'big show of being sulky' and 'reluctant'?

it was a new word to me so i looked in my dictionaries.

one dictionary (sethaputra) defines it as 'puffing angrily'

and the other one (domnern sathienpong) defines it as "making a great show of annoyance , sulking etc."

ป่อง by itself means to bulge out , so maybe there is an element of pouting involved.

ป่องๆ means "piqued " and "petulant"

'peevishly' sounds correct too.

as with so many thai words , i guess the exact meaning depends on the situation at the time the word is being used

and I don't know who you'd be referring to with 'the expert' - it wouldn't be me anyways

you're too modest meadish !!

มันไม่มีความหมายอะไรมากหรอก เป็นคำพูดต่อจากคำว่า งอน เป็นงอนตุปัดตุป่อง มันก็คืออาการแสดงออก เกี่ยวกับการงอนไม่พอใจอะไรสักอย่าง แล้วคำพูดนี้ ก็ยกมาใช้ เช่น ดูสิ งอนตุปัดตุป่อง เชียว ก็เป็นคำพูดน่ารักๆ ธรรมดา

มันไม่มีความหมายอะไรมากหรอก เป็นคำพูดต่อจากคำว่า งอน เป็นงอนตุปัดตุป่อง มันก็คืออาการแสดงออก เกี่ยวกับการงอนไม่พอใจอะไรสักอย่าง แล้วคำพูดนี้ ก็ยกมาใช้ เช่น ดูสิ งอนตุปัดตุป่อง เชียว ก็เป็นคำพูดน่ารักๆ ธรรมดา

Are there such things as Thai thesaurus(es)(i)? If so I think ไม่พอใจ would be there.

I like the words too. :o

Edited by Neeranam

Are there such things as Thai thesaurus(es)(i)? If so I think ไม่พอใจ would be there.

I like the words too. :o

you can get a thai thesaurus. i highly recommend a book called คลังคำ (word repository) which is neither quite a thesaurus or a dictionary. it splits words into groups (eg. verbs relating to showing displeasure) and gives a mini-definition for each word to show how they overlap and differ.

in the case of ตุปัดตุป่อง it gives:

เดินจากไปอย่างโกรธ [มักใช้แก่ผู้หญิง]

my translation:

to walk away angrily [tends to be used in relation to females]

on this definition, 'to stomp off' might be a good equivalent. based on other comments, though, 'sulk' might be a more general alternative.

all the best.

The word the OP asked for is ตุ๊บป่อง. The word itself means floating but when it's used with งอน as in งอนตุ๊บป่อง or งอนตุ๊บป่อง ๆ, it means 'puffing angrily' or 'peevishly'.

The word the OP asked for is ตุ๊บป่อง. The word itself means floating but when it's used with งอน as in งอนตุ๊บป่อง or งอนตุ๊บป่อง ๆ, it means 'puffing angrily' or 'peevishly'.

thanks for the clarification yoot.

my domnern sathienpong dict gives, for งอนตุ๊บป่อง, 'to pout'. for ตุ๊บป่อง alone, it gives 'bobbling' (i think that should be 'bobbing', which also fiits the RID definition: อาการที่ของลอยกระเพื่อมขึ้นกระเพื่อมลงไปตามกระแสน้ำ). it's a new word to me, and the challenge will be to remember it long enough to have an opportunity to use it in a sentence! cheers to the OP and his sulky nature for this new word :o .

all the best.

Told you the clever ones would be along soon :o

I was favouring, a rom sai, but will learn that and use it at the most appropriate time, then run :D

Nice to be able to learn.

Don't you mean - ลมเสีย lom sia?

I may be wrong, but I think the original is อารมณ์เสีย - for "in a bad mood"

ลมเสีย means the same thing, but it almost looks like an adaptation that came from common pronunciation (or mispronunciation)

Anybody know for sure?

Could it be as you intimated the change of 'r' to 'l' hear it quite a bit....asked her what the hel_l 'alloy' was...she said 'what' i said what the hel_l is 'alloy' she said WHAT....oh... a rai...nearly got into a comedy routine :o

I just bought a new book at Kinokuniya in Bangkok by the name of "ศัพทานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบายสองภาษา" first printed in 2546. Here is what it has for ตุปัดตุป่อง"

"งอน in a fit of pique; fly (/get/go) into a temper; lose (/show) one's temper; feel wronged and act reshly."

This is a new word for me; I appreciate you folks bringing it up.

ตุปัดตุป่อง

Would I be right in saying that this is said to gateoys and gays more often?

girl/woman and gateoy (the queen ones).

it is actually unusally to call a guy's behavior ตุปัดตุป่อง. for a boy maybe. OP, what did you do? :o

If I may expound further on what yoot said, the meaning of ตุ๊บป่อง is bobbing, as something bobbing (up and down) at the water surface. Mostly it is used to mean งอนตุ๊บป่อง. This is opposed to a normal behavior in a stable mood.

ตุ๊บป่อง ตุ๊บป่อง just depict the action/behavior of someone. It should not be used for someone who has a bad mood but remains quiet.

Thai-language dot com shows the word as;

ตุ๊บป่อง - dtoopH bpaawngL - adverbial idiom used to describe someone who is filled with petulance [or something filled with gas or air; floatingly]

It also has;

งอนตุ๊บป่อง - ngaawnM dtoopH bpaawngL - to be infused with petulance (sulkiness, bad temper, ill humor, irritability, peevishness, pique, sullenness) so much that he or she could float or fly

Thai2english dot com has a different meaning of the initial word;

ตุ๊บป่อง – (bobbing) up and down

I have in the past seen the two sites differ (widely) on word meanings

Given the OP's context in his post, I would lean towards thai-language's definition.

Also thai-language has a pretty extensive collection of sound files (ตุ๊บป่อง; being one of them). I’d play it for your fiancée and see if it rings a bell.

It is listed as an adverb, and given thais penchant for regularly doubling adjectives/adverbs to in essence double the degree of modification, I think it is what he is being called.

As I have not been able to find a close thai approximation to the word; ‘cranky’

I will try to say this ‘new’ word enough to imprint it into my vocabulary.

Thanx

Thai-language dot com shows the word as;

ตุ๊บป่อง - dtoopH bpaawngL - adverbial idiom used to describe someone who is filled with petulance [or something filled with gas or air; floatingly]

It also has;

งอนตุ๊บป่อง - ngaawnM dtoopH bpaawngL - to be infused with petulance (sulkiness, bad temper, ill humor, irritability, peevishness, pique, sullenness) so much that he or she could float or fly

Thai2english dot com has a different meaning of the initial word;

ตุ๊บป่อง – (bobbing) up and down

I have in the past seen the two sites differ (widely) on word meanings

Given the OP's context in his post, I would lean towards thai-language's definition.

Also thai-language has a pretty extensive collection of sound files (ตุ๊บป่อง; being one of them). I’d play it for your fiancée and see if it rings a bell.

It is listed as an adverb, and given thais penchant for regularly doubling adjectives/adverbs to in essence double the degree of modification, I think it is what he is being called.

As I have not been able to find a close thai approximation to the word; ‘cranky’

I will try to say this ‘new’ word enough to imprint it into my vocabulary.

Thanx

--

Indeed I'd personally use ตุ๊บป่อง, as it is the most common version I encountered. I'd automatically use this term, not the others.

However this is used as a colloquial, any variation mentioned elsewhere in this thread is understood and acceptable. :o:D

and the other one (domnern sathienpong) defines it as "making a great show of annoyance , sulking etc."

ป่อง by itself means to bulge out , so maybe there is an element of pouting involved.

as with so many thai words , i guess the exact meaning depends on the situation at the time the word is being used

and I don't know who you'd be referring to with 'the expert' - it wouldn't be me anyways

กะฟัดกะเฟียด Khafat Khafiat is the passar klang, or not?

Edited by steverino

กะฟัดกะเฟียด Khafat Khafiat is the passar klang, or not?

hey, i've just had a look at the explanation of กะฟัดกะเฟียด in คลังคำ, and the definition looks close to the english 'to throw a tantrum'.

it says: พูดหรือทำอาการกระแทกกระทั้นเป็นต้น ด้วยความไม่พอใจ (มักใช้แก่ผู้หญิง)

for กระแทกกระทั้น, it says: กระแทกตัวหรือข้าวของเพื่อแสดงความไม่พอใจ

all the best.