Americans (must Read)

I feel very bad because I shorted the dollar 2:1 over the last 18 month so I have been robbing you guys blind. The Fed has no choice but to cut interests rates again. The subprime crisis is in full blast. If the Fed does not cut rates another .5 points (twice) the market will tank 5-10% quickly. Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession. Of course, there will still be money to be made. But, sadly the USD is going to slide furthor. A weak dollar is much better than a weak economy. Get out of the USD. Youve been warned.

You are right America is finished. The upper 1/3 of the wealthy shall move to South East India China and even Africe. All the illegals shall leave also and go home.

In ten years all of America will be poor than Africa is today. Those working in America will be lucky to make equal to 80 baht a day. While in Thailand the Thia's will be making 1000 Baht a day.

i am american too and any talk of economics goes in one ear and out the other. all i want to know is, should i get out of the dollar or should i hang in there and hope it gets better?!

I am also long the Yen.

what does that mean?

...meaning he has bought yen (rather than being short, which would mean he has borrowed the currency or stock or option, then sold it, hoping to buy it back later at a lower price to cover his debt). In other words, he thinks the yen will increase in value.

I am also long the Yen.

I will bump this thread in 6 months when the dollar is down another 15-20% and you guys are complaining about how expensive Thailand is now and I will be accused of trolling when I said that I made 30-40% while you lost 15-20%.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those who are right will be laughing all the way to the bank.

You don't sound like you realy understand the way these things work, i just hope you are not charging anyone for your 'insight'.

Maybe it would be more constructive to run a topic of how to make the USD go further in Thailand.

For starters I recall a group of Americans sharing my table in a pub just before they were about to start a free bar-b-q. Each one that arrived in the group ordered soda water and then I overheard one informing them "Its ok you can go up as many times as you want".

Cheers BB

The Fed has no choice but to keep cutting rates to prevent an even greater meltdown in the property market. That will keep pushing the dollar down and foreign currencies, like the baht, up. Jim Rogers, who started a commodities fund before the bull market got underway years ago, is moving out of the dollar into the renminbi.

Thailand has its own set of problems. Unlike Singapore, where the monetary authority recently announced it would allow the S$ to gradually strengthen to keep the economy from growing too fast, there is probably less pressure on Thailand to take similar action.

I feel very bad because I shorted the dollar 2:1 over the last 18 month so I have been robbing you guys blind. The Fed has no choice but to cut interests rates again. The subprime crisis is in full blast. If the Fed does not cut rates another .5 points (twice) the market will tank 5-10% quickly. Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession. Of course, there will still be money to be made. But, sadly the USD is going to slide furthor. A weak dollar is much better than a weak economy. Get out of the USD. Youve been warned.

You are right America is finished. The upper 1/3 of the wealthy shall move to South East India China and even Africe. All the illegals shall leave also and go home.

In ten years all of America will be poor than Africa is today. Those working in America will be lucky to make equal to 80 baht a day. While in Thailand the Thia's will be making 1000 Baht a day.

Wow, sick burn dude!

Last February I was quite nervous about the US stock market. I sold out and bought safe ETF funds that are paying a good dividend. I missed the big boom in the stock market and my "SAFE" ETF's have gone down over 25 percent. The bright side is that they are still paying the same dividends. I couldn't get out of dollars because of big tax penalties. Now I'm in for the long haul whatever it may bring. It appears that my kids just won't inherit as much as they could have. :o

Can someone explain:

1. "shorted the dollar 2:1 over the last 18 month"

2. "the market will tank 5-10% quickly"

Many thanks.

Debts by the to US gov, corp. and people are so large that many believe they will never be paid back. With reduced faith in Fed and God, more people are concerned with the currency. The last few years saw the smart money of the likes of Buffet and Gates leaving the dollars for the Euro and others to protect their wealth. Now more countries are also joining in the flight.

If more entities rejecting it, then it will continue to lose values.

It takes lots of brave souls who defend the USD based on historical value and faith to keep it going. The majority of the people may still be in this category, enjoying the musical chairs.

Each makes his own decision and reap the consequences. Good Luck to all!

Can someone explain:

Many thanks.

1. i bought an etf that was leveraged inversely 2:1 against the dollar vs other currencies. in other words, if the dollar went up 1 point, i lost 2 points. if it went down 1 point, I gained 2 points.

2. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_financial_crisis" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mort...inancial_crisis</a>

If the Fed cuts rates, it will help keep banks from going bankrupt and it will mean that less people default on their mortgage. The downside is that by lowering interest rates, the dollar will weaken.

Alternatively, its possible that the Fed does not cut interest rates. The US economy enters an unavoidable recession, the rest of the world follows and the dollar rises after money is pulled out of emerging markets.

Edited by YoungFarangNa

Can someone explain:

I believe he's saying that 18 months ago, he took a leveraged position short bet that the dollar would decline. The USD Index has declined 10% in that time, so he would have made a 20% return on his investment, minus margin fees, transaction fees, etc.

He's prognosticating that the US Federal reserve MUST cut rates, which is pure speculation of course, and that the fallout if they don't, is that US markets will face a precipitous drop.

Many thanks.