Americans (must Read)

I feel very bad because I shorted the dollar 2:1 over the last 18 month so I have been robbing you guys blind. The Fed has no choice but to cut interests rates again. The subprime crisis is in full blast. If the Fed does not cut rates another .5 points (twice) the market will tank 5-10% quickly. Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession. Of course, there will still be money to be made. But, sadly the USD is going to slide furthor. A weak dollar is much better than a weak economy. Get out of the USD. Youve been warned.

You may be right; I may be crazy; it just may be a lunatic you're looking for. :o

What I'm looking at now is the USDMXN=X rate, and seeing that Americans who have gone to Mexico for the last five years have had a steady rate of exchange - never below, and as much as 10% better for the dollar. In those five years, the Thai baht to the dollar has strengthened almost 40%.

I find it depressing that many relish the prospect of US ecconomic woes.

If the US Ecconomy 'tanks' then it is more than Americans that need to worry.

Perhaps a re-read of 'The Grapes of Wrath' is order, or indeed a first read for some.

Perhaps a re-read of 'The Grapes of Wrath' is order, or indeed a first read for some.

Here. Here.

Nobody should take satisfaction in a faltering U.S. economy or $. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the U.S.A. is still the driving force in the world. No U.S. markets, then Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese and other manufacturing economies in trouble. If the Americans aren't buying , then there's real trouble ahead.

Edited by ratcatcher

I feel very bad because I shorted the dollar 2:1 over the last 18 month so I have been robbing you guys blind. The Fed has no choice but to cut interests rates again. The subprime crisis is in full blast. If the Fed does not cut rates another .5 points (twice) the market will tank 5-10% quickly. Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession. Of course, there will still be money to be made. But, sadly the USD is going to slide furthor. A weak dollar is much better than a weak economy. Get out of the USD. Youve been warned.

What's wrong with the market going down 5% or 10%? I mean, it's up 1500% in the past 25 years. A correction would be healthy.

Edited by lannarebirth

Here. Here.

Nobody should take satisfaction in a faltering U.S. economy or $. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the U.S.A. is still the driving force in the world. No U.S. markets, then Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese and other manufacturing economies in trouble. If the Americans aren't buying , then there's real trouble ahead.

yeah thats why the government has no choice but to cut interest rates again.

No worries look for $ to rise in 08. Yank economy is robust and look for it to increase/expand. :D

I recommend by $ - great buy at the moment and will bounce back in a big way. BTW long term investor thinks long term, not short term. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession.

Quite the new Nostradamus aren't you?

Ever thought of taking up weather predictions? "Tomorrow will be sunny and dry with the possibility of cloudy periods and scattered showers some heavy."

Several very prominent economists in the USA are predicting a major recession over the next 18 months...not a mild one. And they predict the recession will last for a substantial period of time.

America on the decline?

Nobody can be certain!

Realative decline maybe - like Britain from 1870 onwards.

The USa will still be the leader in many economic area's for a long time to come yet though - it just will not have the absolute supremacy it once had.

There will also be a lot of losers in certain segments on American society - it does not have the welfare safety net not the ideology for putting on in place like say Western Europe.

Here. Here.

Wow!

Lets hope U.s economy straighten up soon then since it ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllleeeeeeeeeeees the world.

Happy to say At least the Swedich economy only went up and up over the last 5 years. I wonder how that can be?

Or wait, hmmmmm, E.u, is that in the world??

Hmmmm. Confused..... :o

Trolling. Again.

Trolling. Again.

Looks that way doesn't it.

And this is Thai related how ??

I've not seen Thailand mentioned once.

Looks like the powers that be are busy looking elsewhere. :D:o

Okay youse guys, you's got 5 more posts to relate this to Thailand, or it stands a good chance of being closed.

I thought I posted that while the Mexican peso has remained stable with the US$ (in fact, the dollar has gained strength), the baht has done the opposite. Let's all move to Mexico!

Trolling. Again.

Looks that way for the following 3 reasons:

1. U.s economy is only 20 % of the world economy according to wikki.

2. U.s economy is looking on a upgoing over the next 5 years. In cbo you can read forecasts about 1,5-3 % up in gdp from 2008-2012.

3. Not the least bit related to Thailand and this is a Thaiforum.

TROLL

Edited by mattias33

I just can't believe that so many people are still plowing money into the stock market(s). During the last two years, one huge company after another has announced poorer earnings, lower profits, enormous job cuts -- and yet the stock market keeps climbing. That's just nuts. It's only happening because people keep racing for the stock market..despite the sub-prime issues that all the experts say ain't over yet..

All these other 'savings' instruments out there - virtually all of them - are also linked to stocks in some way or another.

The "stock market" is the biggest pyramid scheme in the world IMO. Like someone else said, the stockmarket has doubled its 'value' in the last decade. Cheap interest rates have led people to remortgage their homes (in the West anyway), increase their debt because "that new double-wide fridge is such a good deal right now - down 20% from last year."

Americans have the biggest negative-savings rate since records began (in other words they have only debt - no savings) - and their retirement plans are based in - you guessed it - stocks.

Does it really take a fortune-teller to see the future is not bright? The Consumer Society is its own worst enemy, and we will have no one to blame except ourselves when this all goes tits-up. Of course many will indeed blame someone else - human nature.

I am American and I agree the USA working class is headed for a crash landing. The rich of course will always get richer and have most of their assets in foreign demoninated securities. I am leaving next year and after some time off to study Thai will look for work in Singapore. Also I'm long the yen, just a hunch.

<br />
Next year will likely see very slight growth or a possible mild recession.
<br />Quite the new Nostradamus aren't you?<br /><br />Ever thought of taking up weather predictions? "Tomorrow will be sunny and dry with the possibility of cloudy periods and scattered showers some heavy."<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Is that a definate maybe then??

I am also long the Yen.

I will bump this thread in 6 months when the dollar is down another 15-20% and you guys are complaining about how expensive Thailand is now and I will be accused of trolling when I said that I made 30-40% while you lost 15-20%.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those who are right will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am American and I agree the USA working class is headed for a crash landing. The rich of course will always get richer and have most of their assets in foreign demoninated securities. I am leaving next year and after some time off to study Thai will look for work in Singapore. Also I'm long the yen, just a hunch.

You sound like a guy that has $5K to invest with credit card debt of $15K.

Monday, April 23, 2007

http://www.investmentu.com/IUEL/2007/20070423.html

May 30, 2007

http://seekingalpha.com/article/36867-us-s...-of-calculation

http://www.brookings.edu/testimony/2006/04...s_bosworth.aspx

I am also long the Yen.

I will bump this thread in 6 months when the dollar is down another 15-20% and you guys are complaining about how expensive Thailand is now and I will be accused of trolling when I said that I made 30-40% while you lost 15-20%.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those who are right will be laughing all the way to the bank.

To be honest there aren't any major currncies with great looking charts IMO, though some have certainly fared better than others.