Opening Hours For Kings Birthday,dec 5th

seasider

Looking to book trip to thailand for nov/dec and i was just wondering whether any night entertainment places/restaurants will be open on the the evening of the 4th or will they close early?(midnight).I have a choice of returning home on the 4th/5th dec,wondering whether it was worth staying until the 5th,will have to leave a.m anyway.

Im presuming there will be nothing open on the 5th,even after 1200 midnight.Should know these answers,only spent a decade on/off living and working in thailand,memorys fading...

Looking to book trip to thailand for nov/dec and i was just wondering whether any night entertainment places/restaurants will be open on the the evening of the 4th or will they close early?(midnight).I have a choice of returning home on the 4th/5th dec,wondering whether it was worth staying until the 5th,will have to leave a.m anyway.

Im presuming there will be nothing open on the 5th,even after 1200 midnight.Should know these answers,only spent a decade on/off living and working in thailand,memorys fading...

From what i can recall from last years King,s Birthday ( i was living in BKK then ) pretty much everywhere was shut down early the night before ( 4th )

I would personally fly back on the 4th ( maybe its cheaper ? ) IMHO

Edit: That is to say...............no alcohol was being sold in the area i lived. ( Queen Sirikit )

Edited by stevemiddie

From what i can recall from last years King,s Birthday ( i was living in BKK then ) pretty much everywhere was shut down early the night before ( 4th )

Edit: That is to say...............no alcohol was being sold in the area i lived. ( Queen Sirikit )

Thjats how i remember it,closing early on the 4th and not opening at all on the 5th.May as well book to go back on the 4th as i the flight leaves a.m so can't do anything on the kings birthday anyway.

Thjats how i remember it,closing early on the 4th and not opening at all on the 5th.May as well book to go back on the 4th as i the flight leaves a.m so can't do anything on the kings birthday anyway.

bars are closed all day on the 5th ,restaurants will be open ,most sell booze ..

I don't remember being closed on 4th and last year, we were specifically told we could open on 5th as I had promised to take my staff from pattaya and Naklua to a Korean BBQ and did so even though our bars were open (ours were obviously closed). From memory, we opened around 10pm and traded under no music but with lights and certainly not "mugs of coffee".

Not sure why though there was word of the King saying to open and we heard the same on the Queen's birthday so perhaps but that was Pattaya and with elections on 23rd, I don't think last year will be repeated.

I share the same day as a birthday and it suck's as i like a few beers to say the least, anyway i am where i am and won't be here then. With respect!

Regards.

Before i'm hung at the nearest tree i am "not" disrespecting anyone with my comments i'm just saying having a birthday were you can't go and have fun is a little bit off, But i can say Vang viene in Lao is lovley that time of year.

I share the same day as a birthday and it suck's as i like a few beers to say the least, anyway i am where i am and won't be here then. With respect!

Regards.

Before i'm hung at the nearest tree i am "not" disrespecting anyone with my comments i'm just saying having a birthday were you can't go and have fun is a little bit off, But i can say Vang viene in Lao is lovley that time of year.

Know the feeling as i share a birthday with the queen of thailand.I had a friend who's birthday fell on the 5th dec as well,the thais used to joke were like a king and i was his queen :o

Did get free drinks all night once at a bar after saying it was my birthday and proving it.Honestly think it was because of the 'crowd' that was with me,probably around 15-20 paying customers.

Little bit off topic but i like the avatar by the way,whats happening to our once great club? A real shambles.

One of the first things the new military government did after the coup was to announce (with the approval of the palace) that places of entertainment did NOT have to close on the King's or Queen's birthday. Here's the link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85597

I don't remember them having changed that again . . . . .

Edited by grtaylor

quite a horrible thought not being able to go to a bar on your birthday. you must have been a big sinner in your former life and this is most probably your punishment :o

Edited by Naam

Regards.

Know the feeling as i share a birthday with the queen of thailand.I had a friend who's birthday fell on the 5th dec as well,the thais used to joke were like a king and i was his queen :D

Did get free drinks all night once at a bar after saying it was my birthday and proving it.Honestly think it was because of the 'crowd' that was with me,probably around 15-20 paying customers.

Little bit off topic but i like the avatar by the way,whats happening to our once great club? A real shambles.

Birthday on 5th as well. Celebrate on the 4th, so on the 5th the hangover make me stay home on the sofa with a cold beer and view the Kings parade on Tv! :o