Utterly Broke - But Not Maxed Out

Kf6vci

I love HSBC - so when the teller said "call your bank", I did that and was assured, the card could be used again.

I had missed the checking out date at the 160 Baht/night hotel Little Court on Soi 13. And I told them I would now get money. But the problem persisted. ** afraid of returning empty handed, I didn't - and couldn't call the Embassy at the Tourist Police. Sent off e-mails... Ran around frantically, trying the card repeatedly.

In need of a shower and new clothes, hungry and desolate, i realize that it was most unwise to rely on mastercard. (encountered a Scottish Lady who couldn't get cash with her card either).

This is an all time low in my life - and I'm not some freeloader or beach bum (I hope).

This is very bitter - so you guys better wear a money belt with a few thousand Baht as iron reserve... Who gives a hoot about your credit limit if your card is blocked?!?

I love HSBC - so when the teller said "call your bank", I did that and was assured, the card could be used again.

I had missed the checking out date at the 160 Baht/night hotel Little Court on Soi 13. And I told them I would now get money. But the problem persisted. ** afraid of returning empty handed, I didn't - and couldn't call the Embassy at the Tourist Police. Sent off e-mails... Ran around frantically, trying the card repeatedly.

In need of a shower and new clothes, hungry and desolate, i realize that it was most unwise to rely on mastercard. (encountered a Scottish Lady who couldn't get cash with her card either).

This is an all time low in my life - and I'm not some freeloader or beach bum (I hope).

This is very bitter - so you guys better wear a money belt with a few thousand Baht as iron reserve... Who gives a hoot about your credit limit if your card is blocked?!?

Paying a 160 baht night hotel bill with a credit card - what next asking a baht bus if he takes plastic for the 10 baht fare? - This is a cash society and you would do well to remember that.

I disagree CTG.

I travel a lot on business and never carry much cash, gave up on travellers cheques years ago. I rely on being able to draw small amouts of cash from the "hole in the wall" with my ATM card or credit card.

Major bills get paid by credit card.

Much easier, until the B--T--DS mess you about in the name of Fraud Protection.

I was embarassed in Tesco Lotus last month when my card was refused, because I had also tried to pay a bill over the internet a week before.

Fortunately I had my mobile and was able to "call the bank" and give them a big B-LL--KING. I followed up with a letter and they did compenaste me with a small sum for phone calls.

I disagree CTG.

I travel a lot on business and never carry much cash, gave up on travellers cheques years ago. I rely on being able to draw small amouts of cash from the "hole in the wall" with my ATM card or credit card.

Major bills get paid by credit card.

Much easier, until the B--T--DS mess you about in the name of Fraud Protection.

I was embarassed in Tesco Lotus last month when my card was refused, because I had also tried to pay a bill over the internet a week before.

Fortunately I had my mobile and was able to "call the bank" and give them a big B-LL--KING. I followed up with a letter and they did compenaste me with a small sum for phone calls.

I dont think anybody would disagree with your strategy, but we are talking a GBP3 night or US$5 Hotel room bill. If this guy has no cash then he really is a clown.

I also travel extensively but have always got at least US$100 of local currency + 3 different credit cards just in case one has problems.

FYI, the card worked just fine twice this afternoon. So the nightmare is over. ** Makes one wonder, what went wrong? I was asked some security questions, but when I logged in for telephone banking, I had legitamized myself imho. Or I would have given up all kind of codes under torture.

Never ran out of cash - I couldn't even make one phone call! Be safe and happy! Chris

Sorry, but I still find it hard to believe. Especially the part with not being able to call the Embassy. I know some officers of the Pattaya Tourist Police, they would not deny a tourist a phone call to his Embassy in this situation. And even the Hotel would have let him make a call to Bangkok to his Embassy. And still I wonder how he could use internet with no cash? And the story about the phone he has. Sounds really sorta unlikeley you must admit. I offered to call his Embassy or whoever needs to be contacted in the other forum just becuase it MIGHT be true and then I would be happy to help. But to me it smells really fishy.

Kf6, been there, did that, got spoiled on plastic ... hate having to utter the words try it again please, it was working fine a while ago ...

So I'm back to the old triad, cash, TC's, plastic, ... cash is king,