Adopted Thai Child Supporting Farang Parent.

Hello.

I've recently become aware of the change in Thai immigration law that allows a Thai child to support a farang parent who's over the age of 50. I'm 51 yo, and have 3 legally adopted Thai children that I adopted several years ago in Thailand. My wife and I also have 2 children of our own, who have dual British/Thai nationality.The eldest adopted son is now 29 and runs his own business. The question is, can I use my legally adopted Thai son to support my stay in the Kingdom without having to go through the whole 800K/400K financial procedure, or must I use my own natural-born Thai child to support me.

Thanks in advance!

YangYai

Yes. The applicable rule is paragraph 7.17, clause (5) of Police Order 606/2549. Please not that it is not about “support”, but about “living with” your Thai children.

However, the immigration officer may try to convince you to get an extension for retirement because this involves less paperwork and thus is easier for him.

--

Maestro

Yes. The applicable rule is paragraph 7.17, clause (5) of Police Order 606/2549. Please not that it is not about "support", but about "living with" your Thai children.

However, the immigration officer may try to convince you to get an extension for retirement because this involves less paperwork and thus is easier for him.

--

Maestro

Many thanks Maestro for your input. That certainly clarifies this type of visa extension, as I originally thought it was a Thai child supporting a farang parent ! BTW, do you know what sort of extra paperwork is involved in this case ? I would expect the usual Marriage Cert., Birth Cert. of Thai child, house documents, witness statements etc., etc. ?

Cheers

A copy of the adoption papers, certainly, and bring the originals to show. Two passport photos of yourself.

On top of that and what you’ve already mentioned, it will depend on how intent the immigration officer will be in steering you away from this type of extension, seeing that you also qualify for other types (marriage, retirement).

--

Maestro

A copy of the adoption papers, certainly, and bring the originals to show. Two passport photos of yourself.

On top of that and what you've already mentioned, it will depend on how intent the immigration officer will be in steering you away from this type of extension, seeing that you also qualify for other types (marriage, retirement).

--

Maestro

Many thanks maestro. This type of visa extension will certainly make life in Thailand alot easier for me and my family :o .

Cheers!