The Downside Of Living In A Village

garro

Living with bugs and rats would really be unpleasant to say the least. The dangers to the baby and yourself, by not having proper doors, screen, windows, etc.. should be apparent( scorpions, snakes,etc.). Being within driving distance to a medical facility may not seem to be important, at least until something happens to you or your loved ones( also the case of getting medical insurance ).

The level of education available to these villagers should also be apparent, many are still herders and gatherers, looking for frogs, snails, the littlest of fish, and small birds, to sustain themselves with. I'm sure whatever conversations you manage to have with your fellow villagers must be very interesting too.

Comparing Thai education to US education would be like comparing life on different planets. I'm sure that education in Europe is of a much higher caliber than in the US, I'm just wondering are they still using textbooks, or is the Koran the only book they need now?

I hate to burst your bubble but Thai villages aren't full of the single-toothed simpletons that your post seems to suggest.

It may amaze you but many also have TV and the internet. Many villagers have also spent time living in cities and some have gone to university.

I have found conversation much easier than with people from the cities. There is nowhere to rush to so people can spend hours chatting and we never run out of subjects.

From reading your post I doubt that you have any real idea about village life in Thailand.

Edited by garro

Living with bugs and rats would really be unpleasant to say the least. The dangers to the baby and yourself, by not having proper doors, screen, windows, etc.. should be apparent( scorpions, snakes,etc.). Being within driving distance to a medical facility may not seem to be important, at least until something happens to you or your loved ones( also the case of getting medical insurance ).

The level of education available to these villagers should also be apparent, many are still herders and gatherers, looking for frogs, snails, the littlest of fish, and small birds, to sustain themselves with. I'm sure whatever conversations you manage to have with your fellow villagers must be very interesting too.

Comparing Thai education to US education would be like comparing life on different planets. I'm sure that education in Europe is of a much higher caliber than in the US, I'm just wondering are they still using textbooks, or is the Koran the only book they need now?

I hate to burst your bubble but Thai villages aren't full of the single-toothed simpletons that your post seems to suggest.

It may amaze you but many also have TV and the internet. Many villagers have also spent time living in cities and some have gone to university.

I have found conversation much easier than with people from the cities. There is nowhere to rush to so people can spend hours chatting and we never run out of subjects.

From reading your post I doubt that you have any real idea about village life in Thailand.

I live outside town about 15KM, in a village, actually next to it, for the last 5 yrs. Tell me about what internet people your village use, and what TV service is available. What are the villagers who have gone to University doing now? Go ahead bust my bubble.

I live outside town about 15KM, in a village, actually next to it, for the last 5 yrs. Tell me about what internet people your village use, and what TV service is available. What are the villagers who have gone to University doing now? Go ahead bust my bubble.

Well I use Ipstar for my internet but some others in the village use landlines.

The internet connection in on of the local shops is used by many of the local kids.

I know that two villagers have UBC but I don't know which package.

I stopped using it myself.

As for people with degrees; we have teachers, doctors and a few of the nurses.

Quite a few people, my wife included, are completing degrees via distance education.

We have a national park connected to the village and people there who either have degrees or studying for them.

The national park is the main employer around here and you need a degree to get ahead.

My brother-in-law has a degree and he is employed by the national parks.

It seems strange to me that a village which is only 15km out of a town should contain such uninteresting people as you describe.

Perhaps if you tried harder to get to know them?

Edited by garro

Garro, you should know better than to generalize about all Thai Villages because of your own skewed view or experience. Within 20 kilometers or so from our village there are many examples of many different types of villages. Some are prettier, some more developed and some very primitive. There is not a single type of "Thai Village".

Edited by villagefarang

Comparing Thai education to US education would be like comparing life on different planets. I'm sure that education in Europe is of a much higher caliber thaTn in the US, I'm just wondering are they still using textbooks, or is the Koran the only book they need now?

Garro, you should know better than to generalize about all Thai Villages because of your own skewed view or experience. With in a 20 kilometers or so from our village there are many examples of many different types of villages. Some are prettier, some more developed and some very primitive. There is not a single type of "Thai Village".

I don't remember saying that they were all the same.

I was replying to Mellow 1's generalised view of villages;

Edited by garro

"I hate to burst your bubble but Thai villages aren't full of the single-toothed simpletons that your post seems to suggest."

Sorry if I misunderstood this statement.

The level of education available to these villagers should also be apparent, many are still herders and gatherers, looking for frogs, snails, the littlest of fish, and small birds, to sustain themselves with.

Mellow, clearly qualified his statement with "many".

Edited by villagefarang

"I hate to burst your bubble but Thai villages aren't full of the single-toothed simpletons that your post seems to suggest."

Are you telling me that you know of villages full of 'single-toothed' simpletons.

Please enlighten me as to where these are please.

Are you telling me that you know of villages full of 'single-toothed' simpletons.

Please enlighten me as to where these are please.

Many have these amazing 100 baht false teeth that make it hard to tell how many teeth they have. Kind of like the wooden teeth of a bygone era.

People around here love nothing more than to go catch tiny fish, bugs, crabs, snakes or anything they can get their hands on. Many are illiterate and are all but incapable of speaking anything other than their rather distinctive village dialect.

A couple of villages over and you have a completely different kettle of fish. Those who do have some smarts usually leave for the big city for higher paying work.

You have a tendency to get far too self-righteous and indignant about other people's views.

Well Village Farang, I won't bother replying to the personal insult but you entitiled to your opinion.

Your potrayal of village life makes me wonder why someone would stay in such a place.

The village I live next to, has no ASDL available, you can get around 28- 38K kbps from TOT ( I use a wireless system) no cable TV ( I use Satellite) very hard to find people to work, my housekeeper says the young guys only want to drink and gamble. Most of the people who have degrees can't find jobs in their fields. They work at Big C or other such work.

I am glad to hear that where you live the locals have more opportunities than here. I wish it was the same for for locals around here. If people can have good jobs and education where you live, whats the problem with getting doors, windows and screens, repairing your home so that you don't have to live with bugs, rats, or worse? Most people in Thailand try to make their lives better, when they can. One of the things I notice is many try to built or fix up their existing homes. Why is this such a ordeal for you? you have been there for 4 yrs, it would seem that after this amount of time you could of laid the extension wire in a way that you wouldn't have to step on it. Our house is surrounded by paddy fields but we don't have bugs or other critters in it. I guess you don't have to worry about health care if you have Doctors and nurses living there in the village. The teachers that live there should also be able to give your child the good education you desire for him or her, either way as a parent you will have to help out with school work as most parents do.

I am not an unfriendly neighbor I am polite and mind my own business. I don't blast the music all night and get drunk without any concern for my neighbors as they do. Of course it doesn't bother me too much cause, I have good window and live a Kilometer or so away from the source. It also doesn't mean that I have to go over there and get involved in whats going on. I'm not interested in that life style. There is nothing there which interests me, I'm not into herding and gathering, getting drunk all night long and getting up and following some buffalo or cow. Does this make me bad, a crummy neighbor, an unfriendly person?

The village I live next to, has no ASDL available, you can get around 28- 38K kbps from TOT ( I use a wireless system) no cable TV ( I use Satellite) very hard to find people to work, my housekeeper says the young guys only want to drink and gamble. Most of the people who have degrees can't find jobs in their fields. They work at Big C or other such work.

I am glad to hear that where you live the locals have more opportunities than here. I wish it was the same for for locals around here. If people can have good jobs and education where you live, whats the problem with getting doors, windows and screens, repairing your home so that you don't have to live with bugs, rats, or worse? Most people in Thailand try to make their lives better, when they can. One of the things I notice is many try to built or fix up their existing homes. Why is this such a ordeal for you? you have been there for 4 yrs, it would seem that after this amount of time you could of laid the extension wire in a way that you wouldn't have to step on it. Our house is surrounded by paddy fields but we don't have bugs or other critters in it. I guess you don't have to worry about health care if you have Doctors and nurses living there in the village. The teachers that live there should also be able to give your child the good education you desire for him or her, either way as a parent you will have to help out with school work as most parents do.

I am not an unfriendly neighbor I am polite and mind my own business. I don't blast the music all night and get drunk without any concern for my neighbors as they do. Of course it doesn't bother me too much cause, I have good window and live a Kilometer or so away from the source. It also doesn't mean that I have to go over there and get involved in whats going on. I'm not interested in that life style. There is nothing there which interests me, I'm not into herding and gathering, getting drunk all night long and getting up and following some buffalo or cow. Does this make me bad, a crummy neighbor, an unfriendly person?

Mellow 1, the reason why we haven't done much work on this house is because it doesn't belong to us.

We are in the process of building our own place but haven't rushed things as we keep on saying we will leave the next year,for somwhere else, but when the time comes we don't want to go.

I am well aware of the problems in regards to health care as I am a qualified trauma nurse.

Edited by garro

It doesn't make you bad, no. But it does make me wonder why you chose to live among those people. Being different from most of your neighbours, doesn't it get lonely?

It doesn't make you bad, no. But it does make me wonder why you chose to live among those people. Being different from most of your neighbours, doesn't it get lonely?

We live here because my wifes family lives inside town. I'm retired, I don't have family in the US. The cost of living is cheaper here, thats why my wife and I decide to move here. There are many Farangs inside town, but some are unfriendly( avert eyes or contact with other Farangs ), many are friendly but into the bar scene ( I'm not ). None seem to like family activities such as BBQ's on Sunday while kids play together. In the US on Sat or Sunday, people ( including Thais) would have BBQ's, play volleyball etc.. not here. Yes it can get lonely I suppose, but my son keeps me busy, as well as PC, TV, books, house and garden. I'm not going to start hanging around bars, and adopt a lifestyle that is not good for my family ( my opinion), because I want to converse more with others.

M1, have you tried to get more involved with the community?

I don't drink but still have a bit of a social life.

I teach in a couple of the local schools and this has definitely made me feel more a part of the local scene.

Some people don't want to get involved in the community and that is fair enough too.

It just seems a bit boring to me.

There is no way I would live in a Thai village, far from a city. It is not my preference. I like HS internet, good restaurants & other comforts & entertainment. A medium sized city, not Bangkok, works for me. For your needs, this depends on your interests, your age, the money you have available, and your future goals. Only you know the answer to these questions. As for the rats, maybe a few large cats would help, unless you have a pack of dogs around. Some dogs will also kill rats. Ferets are also good, if you can find any here. In my opinion rats, mosquitos & other disease carrying pests should not be tolerated. Get screens on the windows & doors & try to seal the house where possible. I also would not like all the meddling busybodies and/or relatives snooping around in a village. Good luck to you.

It always surprises me when I meet other Westerners in remote areas of Thailand that don't make eye contact, or want to have a chat with others...? Maybe they find the remotest parts because they are misanthropes or socially awkward? Maybe they just want to be "outstanding in their field" as the lone farang in the village...? What is the attraction? :o

It always surprises me when I meet other Westerners in remote areas of Thailand that don't make eye contact, or want to have a chat with others...? Maybe they find the remotest parts because they are misanthropes or socially awkward? Maybe they just want to be "outstanding in their field" as the lone farang in the village...? What is the attraction? :o

I can't speak about those who don't make eye contact but I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. I original come from a city but love the change of pace here. I came to Thailand to live a different type of life.

I enjoy being around nature and long walks.

I can't speak about those who don't make eye contact but I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. I original come from a city but love the change of pace here. I came to Thailand to live a different type of life.

I enjoy being around nature and long walks.

I can appreciate that, garro. I like the quiet life occasionally too. It's (for me) nice to have some Western expat mates to talk with and "shoot the breeze" together occasionally. Any amount of solitude wouldn't appeal to me, tbh.

I know it's not for everyone kmart.

Growing up my favorite poem was the 'The isle of Inishfree' by W.B. Yates.

It sounded like a great place and this vilage is the nearest thing I have found to it.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,

Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;

There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,

And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I have been living about 6 km from my local village for around 4 years now and I love it. We have about 11 rai where we live and a 3 bedroom house for ourselves, a small one bedroom place that my wife had built to live in while we built the bigger house and another for the people who work for us part time on the farm.

I have no phone line, only been waiting 4 years but I can access the internet through an EDGE connection on the mobile though I hope to get a satellite connection soon.

I speak and understand a little Thai and I find at 63 it is hard to learn but I persevere. I have also managed to lose 19kg but have put 7 back on.

I get bored now and again but I find that time just seems to pass by and I am rarely short of things to do. If I need western company and can talk to my mate on the other side of the national park at Mae Wong, go to see them or they come to us.

The people in the village know me and I generally have a coffe or ovaltine outside the 7/11 with one of the local policemen whose wife runs the place. I get on OK at the bank and the post office though I do have some difficulty at the hardware shop explaining what I need as I can't always find the right words. In that case I get my wife to write down what I need or take an English / Thai dictionary or the broken parts with me.

If I need western stuff and it is not available then once oa month I go to Nakon Sawan to big C and pig out on exotic international cuisine (KFC or pizza). If there is something that is impossible to get there than I will travel to Bangkok which I hate doing as it is dirty, smelly, overcrowded and has terrible traffic problems.

Living out here gives me peace and contentment though as our 3 year old son gets to needing a better school I think he may have to go elsewhere but it is a problem that we will deal with in the future.

Personally I feel that there are very few downsides to living out in the sticks but you have to adjust your expectations to real life.

:o:D :D

I teach in a couple of the local schools and this has definitely made me feel more a part of the local scene.

Some people don't want to get involved in the community and that is fair enough too.

I know a few people in the community and have the opportunity to socialize. I don't know what you mean by getting involved though. Teaching would involve getting a work permit, otherwise it would be against the law. I wouldn't want someone having something over me here in the LOS. I have a lot of interaction with my wife's family, for the most part, they are very good people, there are a couple of oddballs, as would be found anywhere. I've been around here off and on for almost 13 years and the last 5 full time. I know a little of whats going on, although not an expert. I have learned to be very careful and wary, my rose colored glasses were thrown out a long time ago. That doesn't mean, that there are not quite a few people I like, or that are nice to me. I find a low profile and minding my own business is the prudent way to go.

I know a few people in the community and have the opportunity to socialize. I don't know what you mean by getting involved though. Teaching would involve getting a work permit, otherwise it would be against the law. I wouldn't want someone having something over me here in the LOS. I have a lot of interaction with my wife's family, for the most part, they are very good people, there are a couple of oddballs, as would be found anywhere. I've been around here off and on for almost 13 years and the last 5 full time. I know a little of whats going on, although not an expert. I have learned to be very careful and wary, my rose colored glasses were thrown out a long time ago. That doesn't mean, that there are not quite a few people I like, or that are nice to me. I find a low profile and minding my own business is the prudent way to go.

I am not suggesting that you do anyting illegal.

It is possible to get work in rural areas part-time with a work permit.

You sound happy enough, so it probably wouldn't be your cup of tea.

I was responding to your previous comment;

Yes it can get lonely I suppose, but my son keeps me busy, as well as PC, TV, books, house and garden

Lived in a small village as a G.O. Volunteer.. it was the best time... for resourcefulness and adaptation... 3.5 years.. but that was the deal.. I knew I would leave.. thus it affected my behavior and attitude.. I learned and experienced as much as I could while.. doing my volunteer service projects...

Now... I did not go native....Oh..I tried to join in and adapt as much as I could.. but I did need a batch of Hawaiian coffee sent to me every two months..

I am thankful for the experience of living in a small village.... with all the NATURAL things... abound.

Do what you need to do.. Then go do... it... Cheers Mate..

Edited by Rhys

What about living in a village not far from a bigger town? Even 10+ kilometres from a big town can feel like you are a long way out in the sticks.

In some ways that can be ideal.

The problem though would be fitting in.

The thing that I have found is that you really need to have family in a village if you want to live there.

It can take a long time to get any type of accptance in a small place.

I would imagine that moving in as a complete stranger would be difficult.

We have no family/friends in a village near a city so it isn't probably an option.

Nice idea though.

Had all the benefits of g/f, family, etc. and the ability to get out and about to town for a 'bit of excitement' and someone to travel the country with.

Now going back to town life - at least for a while.

Agree it would be hard to move in 'cold' but my understanding is that a few Farang have done so but no one ever seemed to see them come out of their big houses surrounded by high walls. No communicating with the locals or even using the village shop. They could die in there and nobody would be any wiser.

Strange folk, Farang :o