Tax And Aprove Of Wifes 40k Income If Married?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the requirment for 40k family income is to obtain one year extensions of stay from Immigration - it is not a marriage requirement.

That's correct. The marriage requirement is actually much higher :o

I've always wondered why the retirement number is 800k, but the marriage number is only 480k. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

I've always wondered why the retirement number is 800k, but the marriage number is only 480k. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Perhaps a Thai wife helps a farang to live more cheaply than if he remained single.

--

Maestro

Perhaps a Thai wife helps a farang to live more cheaply than if he remained single.

--

Maestro

I don't think it has anything to do with coverage of cost of living. It's more like one more example of dual pricing: if you're a member of a Thai family, you get in for half price ... Just as the requirements (reg. WP and non-"B" extensions), imposed on a company employing a foreigner married to a Thai, are only half of the same requirements for a foreigner not married to a Thai.

To explain: i have a Non Imm B Multi. I still have a WP for Thailand, but i don't have any income in Thailand and i not work anymore in Thailand, i stay overseas at the moment and make in 3 month more money than working a year in Thailand. So i don't see the reason to keep this WP and Company any longer. But a Multiple is very good for me, because i can go and come anytime. So it is possibile to change this Multiple B Visa to a Multiple O if i get married? What are the requirment. I don't even want a one year extention, because i will travel anyway. My girlfriend actually handle my business in Thailand anyway alone, since last April. So i just not see the reason to pay all the company expenses and keep my company and WB alive. But the question, if she have to pay taxes at 40k maybe isn't much cheaper as i keep the WP. Somebody knows?

--

Maestro

I don't think it has anything to do with coverage of cost of living. It's more like one more example of dual pricing: if you're a member of a Thai family, you get in for half price ... Just as the requirements (reg. WP and non-"B" extensions), imposed on a company employing a foreigner married to a Thai, are only half of the same requirements for a foreigner not married to a Thai.

I did the sums a little while back between the two visas

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=143990&hl=

If you look at it from an opportunity cost perspective, at a base level there is very litte difference taking one over the other at the end of the day.

Where the marriage visa starts to make sense is if you as the retiree can pay your wife a salary, and she can claim tax deductions for a variety of reasons, and make tax deductable investments as well.

But the requirment for 40k family income is to obtain one year extensions of stay from Immigration - it is not a marriage requirement.

But they are now saying they want tax on 40k whereas the 800k is just cash sitting on deposit. not quite the same. They do not say, please show me 480k but they did previously say show me 400k. Why they said that I do not know. But then again, they do not take into consideration whether you own your own home or pay rent.

What country does not make it easier for those married to a local national to live there than for those with no such ties? That the up front money requirement for those staying with a Thai spouse is less than those without such ties seems logical to me.

But they are now saying they want tax on 40k whereas the 800k is just cash sitting on deposit. not quite the same. They do not say, please show me 480k but they did previously say show me 400k. Why they said that I do not know. But then again, they do not take into consideration whether you own your own home or pay rent.

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either.. you simply have to pay tax... it can be in either or joint names, and you go to your local amphur and declare you are earning 40k per month... you are then issued with a certificate to show you are paying tax.. this tax on 40k per month amounted to 1270 baht per 6 months... you simply show this paying tax certificate when you apply to re-new your visa.... 400k is no longer in force as a requirement... they were not interested what i had in the bank, and wanted no details... e.g. letter from bank and bank book.... so all in all this is great for me as i no longer have to worry about having 400k every year... its the same with the retirement visa now... you have to show you have an income of 65k per month... and pay tax on it... you do not need to have 800k in the bank......... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............

There are no such "new regulations" that I am aware of. There is no requirement to pay tax on retirement pensions. In fact it would not be legal, by tax treaty, for many of us. You pay tax when you have local earned income or bring income into Thailand that you earn in that year. You do not pay tax on savings that you bring in, or money subject to tax treaty exemptions.

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either.. you simply have to pay tax... it can be in either or joint names, and you go to your local amphur and declare you are earning 40k per month... you are then issued with a certificate to show you are paying tax.. this tax on 40k per month amounted to 1270 baht per 6 months... you simply show this paying tax certificate when you apply to re-new your visa.... 400k is no longer in force as a requirement... they were not interested what i had in the bank, and wanted no details... e.g. letter from bank and bank book.... so all in all this is great for me as i no longer have to worry about having 400k every year... its the same with the retirement visa now... you have to show you have an income of 65k per month... and pay tax on it... you do not need to have 800k in the bank......... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............

This all sounds a load of rubbish to me.

--

Maestro

It is telling you to adopt a thai family to support and the more children she has previously the easier they will

be on you at immigration.

There are no such "new regulations" that I am aware of. There is no requirement to pay tax on retirement pensions. In fact it would not be legal, by tax treaty, for many of us. You pay tax when you have local earned income or bring income into Thailand that you earn in that year. You do not pay tax on savings that you bring in, or money subject to tax treaty exemptions.

Yes you are quite right about that.. there is no tax to pay on any pensions... but i am 52, and my pension does not start till i am 65.... I have 8 million in the bank, but this was to no avail regarding my visa re-newal, myself and my wife had to show we were paying tax on 40k per month.....

This all sounds a load of rubbish to me.

Well a lot of the rules in this country are... but unless you have an income from your country or pension... then you have to pay tax on 40k for marr visa and 65k for ret visa..... money in the bank is no longer required.... you simply need your tax paid form from your local amphur... ive just done mine at korat immigration 11 days ago...

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either...you simply have to pay tax... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............
...ive just done mine at korat immigration 11 days ago...

Korat immigration. That’s interesting. If you had said Samui or Phuket, I would be less surprised because from post in this forum I know that those immigration offices have been acting strangely lately. But Korat, that’s a new one.

Just to make sure that I understand you correctly when you say that you did your “marriage visa” for the third time last week. I understand it to mean that in 2005 you applied for the first time for, and received, an annual extension of stay, not a visa, at an immigration office in Thailand for the reason that you are married to a Thai national and with 400k in the bank as evidence of your financial means. Then in 2006 you got the same annual extension again, on the same basis. And last week, the Korat immigration office would not approve your application for extension based on 400k in the bank, only based on tax receipts for 480k income for the past year. Is all this correct?

--

Maestro

So are you saying that you paid Bt1270 for 6 months or Bt1270*6 for 6 months or what ?

Did they not want to know where the 40k came from ?

Any calculations ? I can get simply to here but with no social contributions and this requires life assurance purchase:

Monthly income 40,000

Annual income 480,000

Deductions (60,000)

Allowances

Personal (30,000)

Married (30,000)

Baby (15,000)

Life assurance (50,000)

Taxable income 295,000

Tax 19,500

Per month 1,625

The requirement for retirement extension of stay is 800k in a Thai bank account and I know of no change to that except the requirement that it remain there three months prior to application. You also have the choice to use 65k income/pension as supported in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. I know of no requirement to pay tax and believe you may have misunderstood or have had an officer that was mistaken.

I am really struggling to understand this.

If Bradford has extended using 400,000 in the bank in the past he can continue to do so. As Lopburi said the retirement extension is 800,000 in the bank. So in theory he can use iether of these methods.

As Maestro said , Korat is not one of the maverick offices, it is one of the more helpful and fare ones.

Maybe they introduced a loop hole to help Bradford out as he seems quite happy with the arrangement.

All a bit strange.

Just noticed the post from Noodles in Samui saying the same thing. Strange.

Edited by Lite Beer

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either...you simply have to pay tax... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............
...ive just done mine at korat immigration 11 days ago...

Korat immigration. That’s interesting. If you had said Samui or Phuket, I would be less surprised because from post in this forum I know that those immigration offices have been acting strangely lately. But Korat, that’s a new one.

Just to make sure that I understand you correctly when you say that you did your “marriage visa” for the third time last week. I understand it to mean that in 2005 you applied for the first time for, and received, an annual extension of stay, not a visa, at an immigration office in Thailand for the reason that you are married to a Thai national and with 400k in the bank as evidence of your financial means. Then in 2006 you got the same annual extension again, on the same basis. And last week, the Korat immigration office would not approve your application for extension based on 400k in the bank, only based on tax receipts for 480k income for the past year. Is all this correct?

--

Maestro

yes thats right........... i had a letter from the bank and my bank book showing i had 8 million baht in my account, but i was turned away and told i had to show we were paying tax on an income of 40k per month, or have a pension from my country of origin for 40k per month... I dont know why you keep mentioning 480k per year ?? its always been 400k before now....

I am really struggling to understand this.

If Bradford has extended using 400,000 in the bank in the past he can continue to do so. As Lopburi said the retirement extension is 800,000 in the bank. So in theory he can use iether of these methods.

As Maestro said , Korat is not one of the maverick offices, it is one of the more helpful and fare ones.

Maybe they introduced a loop hole to help Bradford out as he seems quite happy with the arrangement.

All a bit strange.

Just noticed the post from Noodles in Samui saying the same thing. Strange.

They introduced no loop-hole to help me at all.... its the new law..... they turned me away with a big bank balance... and noodles as confirmed the same ?? not strange.. its a fact.... i am only trying to help people and pre-warn you...... you will believe me when you go for your next visa though.

So are you saying that you paid Bt1270 for 6 months or Bt1270*6 for 6 months or what ?

Did they not want to know where the 40k came from ?

Any calculations ? I can get simply to here but with no social contributions and this requires life assurance purchase:

Monthly income 40,000

Annual income 480,000

Deductions (60,000)

Allowances

Personal (30,000)

Married (30,000)

Baby (15,000)

Life assurance (50,000)

Taxable income 295,000

Tax 19,500

Per month 1,625

Hi.... I simply went to my local amphur with my wife and said i needed to pay tax on 40k per month so i could re-new my marriage visa..... I had no papers or details, like you have shown here... the lady did everything for me... I had to pay 2,540 baht for 12 months previous and was told to now go back every 6 months and pay 1,270 baht..... she issued me with a tax paying certificate, and i returned to the immigration office and my application was accepted and approved... If you do not have a business then invent one..

The requirement for retirement extension of stay is 800k in a Thai bank account and I know of no change to that except the requirement that it remain there three months prior to application. You also have the choice to use 65k income/pension as supported in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. I know of no requirement to pay tax and believe you may have misunderstood or have had an officer that was mistaken.

Sorry lopburi... its you who is mistaken.. you are obviously looking at the laws on the internet and they are not updated regularly. I had 8 million in my account and was turned away.The new law states if you have an income/pension from your country of origin then you simply get a letter to confirm from the embassy... if you are unable to do this then you have to show that you are paying tax on an income of 40k per month for a marriage visa and 65k per month for a retirement visa.... It will not take much of your time to call at your local immigration office to check this out ?? then you as a respected poster on this forum will be able to confirm what i am saying, and save me time answering everyone.... cheers and good luck...