Tax And Aprove Of Wifes 40k Income If Married?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered why the retirement number is 800k, but the marriage number is only 480k. Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Perhaps a Thai wife helps a farang to live more cheaply than if he remained single.

--

Maestro

Only if you give her monthly budget. :o

Actually the numbers are 40k monthly income and 65k monthly pension and the reason I would assume is that a person married to a Thai national would have more reason to stay here than a person without and, as with most countries that I am aware of, the person with marriage to a local national receives as easier entry path.

Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing the same thing as Bradford lately, i.e. being refused the Grandfather option and made to pay tax ?

I called Phang Nga immigration and they told me the same thing : 400 000 Baht option not accepted anymore, pay tax on previous three month and get extended.

I have been using the money in the bank option for the last three years. Has anyone been extended using the Grandfather option in other provinces lately ?

Thanks

Mike

Got extended last week in CM and they said I could also use the 400k option again next year. :o

• 1 month later...
She does not have to pay any tax by being married to a foreigner - only if the foreigner wants to use her income as a basis for his extension of stay is a proof of tax payment required.

Exactly.

Whereas she "should" perhaps pay some tax on that amount of income, she doesn't have to. So if she earns 100k a month she doesn't have to pay tax on the whole amount for her husband to get his extension of stay.

What this chap Bradford added to the information pot was his being refused on bank balance grounds and being asked for tax papers on her 40k income which came to a very reasonable Bt2.5k or somthing a year. He paid last year's tax there and then (for a job she did not have !) and got his extension of stay.

I still don't have any mathematical calculation to work out why he was asked the amount he was but I certainly won't be asking either if they come up with such a small figure for me next year.

That is not TRUE. Thai have to pay income tax also if they single or married to a Thai. They got only the better conditions and if the taxable income is less the 100 K PER YEAR (very often) they don't have to pay Tax. This rule can't be used as Farang, since the (40K per Month) income is 480 K per year

Edited by Maestro
Removed bold format of entire post. No need to scream - Maestro

That is not TRUE. Thai have to pay income tax also if they single or married to a Thai. They got only the better conditions and if the taxable income is less the 100 K PER YEAR (very often) they don't have to pay Tax. This rule can't be used as Farang, since the (40K per Month) income is 480 K per year

Farangs, like any other tax payer, do not pay tax on their first 100,000 THB of income.

I'm sure a lot of people would love to pay 37% tax ...

I have a Non O visa and Im wanting to apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

Question regarding proof of income.

Will a letter from the Australian embassy confirming income of 40,000+/month be enough or do they need additional/supporting evidence to back it up?

l did mine at Nong Khai last month ,,, they used a letter from the embassy showing an income ,, a letter from my wifes boss stating her income (combined income of 40k a month),,statement from the bank and bank book showing 400k in their for 3 months ,, copies of marriage certificate ,,,3 photo's ,, passport and extension application form ,,,, amke sure you have many copies of everything ,,,,,,if you are at Chiang Mai or anywhere else l am sure they will have different requirements

cheers

So basicly the tax is not much based on the income. But it is a discrimination against Thais who are married with a foreigner. If Thailady is married with Thai, nobody have to pay any tax. If she is married to a foreigner, she have to pay tax on a 40'000 baht income, which she maybe would never get if she married with a Thai. This is not a complain, because we foreigners can't complain if we not living in our own country, this is just how i see things.

Isn't there a requirement for everybody to pay tax on their incomes according to the amount they make minus the deductions? I can't see any country making paying taxes as optional, only if you feel like it.

Seems like this only means that you can't cheat and not pay taxes if you want to deal with the government to allow your foreign spouse to stay in Thailand.