Tax And Aprove Of Wifes 40k Income If Married?

Per month 1,625

Hi.... I simply went to my local amphur with my wife and said i needed to pay tax on 40k per month so i could re-new my marriage visa..... I had no papers or details, like you have shown here... the lady did everything for me... I had to pay 2,540 baht for 12 months previous and was told to now go back every 6 months and pay 1,270 baht..... she issued me with a tax paying certificate, and i returned to the immigration office and my application was accepted and approved... If you do not have a business then invent one..

Hi, sounds like good advice to me. But if i went to the amphur in say february and said i wanted to pay tax from december would that be ok - or will they only register from the day you apply?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.... I simply went to my local amphur with my wife and said i needed to pay tax on 40k per month so i could re-new my marriage visa..... I had no papers or details, like you have shown here... the lady did everything for me... I had to pay 2,540 baht for 12 months previous and was told to now go back every 6 months and pay 1,270 baht..... she issued me with a tax paying certificate, and i returned to the immigration office and my application was accepted and approved... If you do not have a business then invent one..

This fits in with another poster who had paid tax on about 6 months worth of 40k income and could not get the extension because he had not paid tax on the 480k (12*40k). Cannot remember what he did after that.

We have businesses but at 85% allowances, you have to show about 3.2m turnover to generate the 40k per month and that creates its own problems.

I think that they are so happy to get any tax that they will fix you up. I want to get in on this as I feel they may raise the bar and even get rid of it altogether because I see it as an easy option for the under 50's.

Hi, sounds like good advice to me. But if i went to the amphur in say february and said i wanted to pay tax from december would that be ok - or will they only register from the day you apply?

What the poster is saying is that he had paid no tax but wanted the extension of stay NOW. They told him that if his wife pays last year's tax for some ficticious job, then she gets the tax receipt. Immigration will then give him a year's extension based upon his wife having paid tax on 40k per month in the last year. The fact is that he just paid it 5 minutes ago !

... or have a pension from my country of origin for 40k per month... I dont know why you keep mentioning 480k per year ?? ...

40k/month x 12 = 480k/year. That’s when basing the application for extension on income, not 400k in the bank.

--

Maestro

I am really struggling to understand this.

If Bradford has extended using 400,000 in the bank in the past he can continue to do so. As Lopburi said the retirement extension is 800,000 in the bank. So in theory he can use iether of these methods.

As Maestro said , Korat is not one of the maverick offices, it is one of the more helpful and fare ones.

Maybe they introduced a loop hole to help Bradford out as he seems quite happy with the arrangement.

All a bit strange.

Just noticed the post from Noodles in Samui saying the same thing. Strange.

They introduced no loop-hole to help me at all.... its the new law..... they turned me away with a big bank balance... and noodles as confirmed the same ?? not strange.. its a fact.... i am only trying to help people and pre-warn you...... you will believe me when you go for your next visa though.

Bradford . I am glad you got your extension by whatever means but what you are saying is not the law.

The law has not been changed. If it had been I am sure Sunbelt or Lopburi would have been aware of this.

I was at Korat immigration last week doing my 90 day report and the lady officer told me I can extend my stay using 400,000 in the bank next time.

I am sure what you say did happen to you, it will be a big help for people who do not have money in the bank or a legit income. It just looks like another interpretation of the rules. This time in our favour I think.

Bradford.

On the 24th November 2006 (last year) you posted that as from 1st January 2007 (this year) a new law was comming into force saying that retirement and marriage extensions would no longer be given by using money in the bank. This `law` would say only income would be accepted. This thread was closed because of untrue information.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that nearly a year later it has reared up again and it is you that has been affected by it.

Not accusing you of anything but it is a bit of a coincidence dont you think.

The requirement for retirement extension of stay is 800k in a Thai bank account and I know of no change to that except the requirement that it remain there three months prior to application. You also have the choice to use 65k income/pension as supported in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. I know of no requirement to pay tax and believe you may have misunderstood or have had an officer that was mistaken.

Sorry lopburi... its you who is mistaken.. you are obviously looking at the laws on the internet and they are not updated regularly. I had 8 million in my account and was turned away.The new law states if you have an income/pension from your country of origin then you simply get a letter to confirm from the embassy... if you are unable to do this then you have to show that you are paying tax on an income of 40k per month for a marriage visa and 65k per month for a retirement visa.... It will not take much of your time to call at your local immigration office to check this out ?? then you as a respected poster on this forum will be able to confirm what i am saying, and save me time answering everyone.... cheers and good luck...

Do you not understand any such change would be the talk of the town in a matter of days? 800k/65k or combination is the requirement for retirement extensions of stay. That you were asked for something else does not make it the law or general practice (which is obviously is not).

So are you saying that you paid Bt1270 for 6 months or Bt1270*6 for 6 months or what ?

Did they not want to know where the 40k came from ?

Any calculations ? I can get simply to here but with no social contributions and this requires life assurance purchase:

Monthly income 40,000

Annual income 480,000

Deductions (60,000)

Allowances

Personal (30,000)

Married (30,000)

Baby (15,000)

Life assurance (50,000)

Taxable income 295,000

Tax 19,500

Per month 1,625

...So does that mean if my wife pays tax on 40k bht per month on our pretend business.i can extend my non im o visa for 12 months each time by showing tax receipts , marriage certificate,and proof of residence with my wife?????...will the samui immigration be happy with this???????????no visa runs,only 3 month signings at the imm office ??????

So are you saying that you paid Bt1270 for 6 months or Bt1270*6 for 6 months or what ?

Did they not want to know where the 40k came from ?

Any calculations ? I can get simply to here but with no social contributions and this requires life assurance purchase:

Monthly income 40,000

Annual income 480,000

Deductions (60,000)

Allowances

Personal (30,000)

Married (30,000)

Baby (15,000)

Life assurance (50,000)

Taxable income 295,000

Tax 19,500

Per month 1,625

...So does that mean if my wife pays tax on 40k bht per month on our pretend business.i can extend my non im o visa for 12 months each time by showing tax receipts , marriage certificate,and proof of residence with my wife?????...will the samui immigration be happy with this???????????no visa runs,only 3 month signings at the imm office ??????

Meat, this is not the law, but as Samui Immigration is a law unto itself , another poster said he did this at Samui.

Why don`t you pop along and ask them. When it stops raining.

I am really struggling to understand this.

If Bradford has extended using 400,000 in the bank in the past he can continue to do so. As Lopburi said the retirement extension is 800,000 in the bank. So in theory he can use iether of these methods.

As Maestro said , Korat is not one of the maverick offices, it is one of the more helpful and fare ones.

Maybe they introduced a loop hole to help Bradford out as he seems quite happy with the arrangement.

All a bit strange.

Just noticed the post from Noodles in Samui saying the same thing. Strange.

They introduced no loop-hole to help me at all.... its the new law..... they turned me away with a big bank balance... and noodles as confirmed the same ?? not strange.. its a fact.... i am only trying to help people and pre-warn you...... you will believe me when you go for your next visa though.

Bradford . I am glad you got your extension by whatever means but what you are saying is not the law.

The law has not been changed. If it had been I am sure Sunbelt or Lopburi would have been aware of this.

I was at Korat immigration last week doing my 90 day report and the lady officer told me I can extend my stay using 400,000 in the bank next time.

I am sure what you say did happen to you, it will be a big help for people who do not have money in the bank or a legit income. It just looks like another interpretation of the rules. This time in our favour I think.

I called into korat immigration office 1 month before my visa was due for re-newal to ask what was required for my re-newal... I told and showed the lady an healthy bank account and was told there would be no problems whatsoever... then on the day, they were not interested in my balance... they would not budge on any issue unless me or my wife could show we were paying tax on 40k per month... I got a bit frosty with them and said forget the marriage visa, i will have a retirement visa instead, thinking it would be less hassle and they said okay, no problem go to an amphur and show us a form from them showing you are paying tax on 65k per month............. when you try to do your extension you will see.... as for the lady at korat imm office ????? see the man next time... he does all the authorizing.... and he wiil put you straight...

Bradford.

On the 24th November 2006 (last year) you posted that as from 1st January 2007 (this year) a new law was comming into force saying that retirement and marriage extensions would no longer be given by using money in the bank. This `law` would say only income would be accepted. This thread was closed because of untrue information.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that nearly a year later it has reared up again and it is you that has been affected by it.

Not accusing you of anything but it is a bit of a coincidence dont you think.

Yes thats perfectly true... the reason i posted that story last year was because my wifes brother works in the immigration office in bangkok, and he told me they had a big meeting discussing this and they were putting it into force this year... I cannot understand why there is no uproar at this rule as there are many ferangs who are just retired and not 65 yet... and this could cause serious problems for thousands of ferangs here... BUT WHY WAS I TURNED AWAY WITH 8 MILLION IN MY ACCOUNT ?? Plus i also help with the tourist police.. Its just another way of getting extra money from ferangs..... But its true..... you have to show you or your wife are paying tax.... and its 40k gross... the amphur will get it as low as they can for you... and the same as i said to lopburi... go to the immigration and ask for yourself... because this stupid rule is now in force in korat...

The requirement for retirement extension of stay is 800k in a Thai bank account and I know of no change to that except the requirement that it remain there three months prior to application. You also have the choice to use 65k income/pension as supported in a letter from your Embassy or a combination of the two. I know of no requirement to pay tax and believe you may have misunderstood or have had an officer that was mistaken.

Sorry lopburi... its you who is mistaken.. you are obviously looking at the laws on the internet and they are not updated regularly. I had 8 million in my account and was turned away.The new law states if you have an income/pension from your country of origin then you simply get a letter to confirm from the embassy... if you are unable to do this then you have to show that you are paying tax on an income of 40k per month for a marriage visa and 65k per month for a retirement visa.... It will not take much of your time to call at your local immigration office to check this out ?? then you as a respected poster on this forum will be able to confirm what i am saying, and save me time answering everyone.... cheers and good luck...

Do you not understand any such change would be the talk of the town in a matter of days? 800k/65k or combination is the requirement for retirement extensions of stay. That you were asked for something else does not make it the law or general practice (which is obviously is not).

Then why have 3 other people posted they have had to do the same ??? are all 4 of us ting tong ??? why not meet me in korat and i will accompany you to the immigration office and when the top man there confirms what i am saying then maybe you will apologise.... I am out of here now.. i am sick of all the hassle... I was simply trying to help other ferangs and alert them to the problem which lies ahead for them... I will read your reply with interest...

BUT WHY WAS I TURNED AWAY WITH 8 MILLION IN MY ACCOUNT ?? ... you have to show you or your wife are paying tax.... and its 40k gross... this stupid rule is now in force in korat...

Because - as you wrote yourself in several posts - you applied for an extension based on being married to a Thai. As a natural consequence, you are asked to meet the financial requirements that goes with a marriage extension. The financial requirements that goes for extensions on basis retirement only enter the picture for those that apply for an extension based on retirement - they don't count for those that apply for extensions based on marriage.

According to your own posts, you have no experience whatsoever with applying for an extension based on retirement - and, clear to most other than you, you aren't capable of discriminating one thing from the other. For your own sake, learn.

Edited by Cyberstar

The eight million baht was sourced from ? Could/did you show foreign origin of it? Questions have to be asked when posts like yours are made because there can be many and varied reasons for different results from different applicants and getting as much information as possible is how we help each other. I suspect the below may have been to trigger to say they wanted to see tax payments on 65k (but again were the funds shown as coming from outside Thailand and in a savings deposit account?).

I got a bit frosty with them and said forget the marriage visa, i will have a retirement visa instead,

So basicly the tax is not much based on the income. But it is a discrimination against Thais who are married with a foreigner. If Thailady is married with Thai, nobody have to pay any tax. If she is married to a foreigner, she have to pay tax on a 40'000 baht income, which she maybe would never get if she married with a Thai. This is not a complain, because we foreigners can't complain if we not living in our own country, this is just how i see things.

She does not have to pay any tax by being married to a foreigner - only if the foreigner wants to use her income as a basis for his extension of stay is a proof of tax payment required.

Exactly.

Whereas she "should" perhaps pay some tax on that amount of income, she doesn't have to. So if she earns 100k a month she doesn't have to pay tax on the whole amount for her husband to get his extension of stay.

What this chap Bradford added to the information pot was his being refused on bank balance grounds and being asked for tax papers on her 40k income which came to a very reasonable Bt2.5k or somthing a year. He paid last year's tax there and then (for a job she did not have !) and got his extension of stay.

I still don't have any mathematical calculation to work out why he was asked the amount he was but I certainly won't be asking either if they come up with such a small figure for me next year.

Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing the same thing as Bradford lately, i.e. being refused the Grandfather option and made to pay tax ?

I called Phang Nga immigration and they told me the same thing : 400 000 Baht option not accepted anymore, pay tax on previous three month and get extended.

I have been using the money in the bank option for the last three years. Has anyone been extended using the Grandfather option in other provinces lately ?

Thanks

Mike

Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing the same thing as Bradford lately, i.e. being refused the Grandfather option and made to pay tax ?

I called Phang Nga immigration and they told me the same thing : 400 000 Baht option not accepted anymore, pay tax on previous three month and get extended.

I have been using the money in the bank option for the last three years. Has anyone been extended using the Grandfather option in other provinces lately ?

Thanks

Mike

Hi

After reading these threads, I visited the local Amphur todays (where my wifes friends work and are very helpful to us re tax :o ) My wife insisted she understood that I wished to pay an increased amount of tax for last 1/2 year as if she had earned 40k baht per month(I dont speak Thai BTW). We were clearly confusing the tax people and they said tax would be 26,000 for one year and NOT 2600 odd as stated in TV.

Bradford. how did you do it , you lucky b***er.

Dave (confused again) :D

Very interesting thread.

My wifes business is in Samui but she is from Petchabun, does she have to pay tax in Surat or can she pay anywhere?

From what Bradford states looks like a Thai wife can just go anywhere and pay tax without any proof of a business registration or actual job, anyone else have any info on this and how much tax is payable for 40k/month, how many months do you have to show tax for?

Also, my non o runs out on Dec 15, when would I need to go and apply for my first 1 year extension? And if I was granted an extension would a divorce shortly afterwards have any effect on it?

Very interesting thread.

My wifes business is in Samui but she is from Petchabun, does she have to pay tax in Surat or can she pay anywhere?

From what Bradford states looks like a Thai wife can just go anywhere and pay tax without any proof of a business registration or actual job, anyone else have any info on this and how much tax is payable for 40k/month, how many months do you have to show tax for?

Also, my non o runs out on Dec 15, when would I need to go and apply for my first 1 year extension? And if I was granted an extension would a divorce shortly afterwards have any effect on it?

You should apply for extension NOW. They like you to do it 3-4 weeks befor your Visa expires.

If you get divorced you will not get the extension next year. When you apply you have to take your wife and a stack of paperwork with you. Go and ask them what they want.

Just noticed that you and your wife have been seperated for a good number of months. You will have a problem convincing them that you do actually live together.

Edited by Lite Beer

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...amp;showfile=7#[/url]

TM 7 Form.

I dont know about the tax proof as I have never done it that way. Go and ask Immigration.

Be prepared to take photos of your house with you and your wife inside, outside. Your wardrobe with both your clothes inside. They may well come and visit and talk to the neighbours. You maybe have to take a Thai friend to Immigration to be interviewed and sign a statement that you and wife live together. Bank passbooks and statements may be needed.

As I say you really have to go and ask them what they need as every office is different.

Edited by Lite Beer

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either.. you simply have to pay tax... it can be in either or joint names, and you go to your local amphur and declare you are earning 40k per month... you are then issued with a certificate to show you are paying tax.. this tax on 40k per month amounted to 1270 baht per 6 months... you simply show this paying tax certificate when you apply to re-new your visa.... 400k is no longer in force as a requirement... they were not interested what i had in the bank, and wanted no details... e.g. letter from bank and bank book.... so all in all this is great for me as i no longer have to worry about having 400k every year... its the same with the retirement visa now... you have to show you have an income of 65k per month... and pay tax on it... you do not need to have 800k in the bank......... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............

I saw this thread sometime ago but did not read it until today as i have just returned from applying for my new visa. I was very happy to see that I no longer need to keep 400k in the bank! My wife went to the internet and was able to get the needed documents from there. I am now wondering if I should hold onto the cash just in case they change their minds or if I should have a party :o

I did my marriage visa for the third time last week... you no longer need 400k in your bank or 480k either.. you simply have to pay tax... it can be in either or joint names, and you go to your local amphur and declare you are earning 40k per month... you are then issued with a certificate to show you are paying tax.. this tax on 40k per month amounted to 1270 baht per 6 months... you simply show this paying tax certificate when you apply to re-new your visa.... 400k is no longer in force as a requirement... they were not interested what i had in the bank, and wanted no details... e.g. letter from bank and bank book.... so all in all this is great for me as i no longer have to worry about having 400k every year... its the same with the retirement visa now... you have to show you have an income of 65k per month... and pay tax on it... you do not need to have 800k in the bank......... THESE ARE THE NEW REGULATIONS.............

I saw this thread sometime ago but did not read it until today as i have just returned from applying for my new visa. I was very happy to see that I no longer need to keep 400k in the bank! My wife went to the internet and was able to get the needed documents from there. I am now wondering if I should hold onto the cash just in case they change their minds or if I should have a party :o

So what exactly did you have to provide for you extension renewal? And where was this?

So what exactly did you have to provide for you extension renewal? And where was this?

Just as many of the early post, proof that tax has been paid and proof of 40k monthly income from my wife as i do not earn money in los and yes we are in samui.

I have a Non O visa and Im wanting to apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

Question regarding proof of income.

Will a letter from the Australian embassy confirming income of 40,000+/month be enough or do they need additional/supporting evidence to back it up?