Email Problems

zorro1

my new Toshiba laptop will only send mail to certain contacts. It bounces around 80% of my sent emails although i recieve 100%. I disabled the firewall and instantly the outbox emptied however its back to its old tricks again. what would cause my p.c to be selective as to who gets mail? to further confuse things it will sometimes send email to everyone but then goes back to bouncing again.

I have another laptop with the exact same email settings pop3 etc and my mail works fine with just the occasional bounce. all the messages come back as "relaying not allowed"

very confusing

"relaying not allowed" is a message you get when you use a mailserver that is neither configured for the senders email address nor the recipient address. It's an anti-spam measure which is now mandatory on the internet.

ISPs who provide internet through adsl or dial-up will provide the smtp service for their subscribers. This server does not check the email addresses, but the originating IP address. If this address is in their adsl-range or dial-up range, it will accept the email and send it to it's destination.

So check your smtp server settings. Ask your ISP which smtp server to use.

For TOT it is smtp-adsl.totonline.net

"relaying not allowed" is a message you get when you use a mailserver that is neither configured for the senders email address nor the recipient address. It's an anti-spam measure which is now mandatory on the internet.

ISPs who provide internet through adsl or dial-up will provide the smtp service for their subscribers. This server does not check the email addresses, but the originating IP address. If this address is in their adsl-range or dial-up range, it will accept the email and send it to it's destination.

thanks very much for that. I think i know what to do now but if i have any problems may i pm you for more advice?

thanks very much for that. I think i know what to do now but if i have any problems may i pm you for more advice?

Woohoo it worked your a legend. Thats a major drama cleared for me so I owe you a beer next time your in BKK

might pick your brains a bit more now that Im on a roll. the new toshiba is currently working on a lan line that is plugged into my wi fi modem. I can go wireless by unplugging my lan and even though it shows that I am connected to wi fi, I am unable to connect to the net while on wi fi. back to lan and no problem. my other laptop picks up the wi fi and works a treat.

more confusion